.300 Savage

44 man

Beginner
Dec 1, 2004
Just picked up a beautiful Savage 99 from 1940 in .300 savage. I asked my buddy Mike, what bullet to load for whitetail deer. His response was 'ballistic tips'. Considering the velocity range of the .300, are 150 gr ballistic tips the proper bullet for this job or do you recommend another. AND if I draw and elk permit, What bullet loaded to what velocity would you suggest.

For whitetail the 150gr BT is great. If you draw elk, go with either the 165PT or 180 PT.

Thank you, I appreciate your help. I can hardly wait to take this old timer hunting!

You'll love it! I just bought a 99 30-30 takedown with a Weaver 330 on it. It shoots MOA with just about any factory load I've used in it. I also have two in 300 Savage- one has a twist that is not amenable to 180gr bullets.

I bought two Sav. 99s last summer. I sighted in one with 150 gr. win. factory and shot 5/8 in. 100 yard groups with it.

The other I sighted in with Federal 180 gr. factory food. It shot 7/8 inch groups at 100 yards.

With the 180 grains I shot a boy moose, a white-tail doe and two wolves.

Over the winter I am going to do some reloading for it. Starting with some 180 grain Nosler ACCUBONDS.

Maybe I will try them out on an Alberta black bear in the spring.

Robin

I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING THIS BULLET SINCE 1977 IN A REM 600 .308 WIN. MOHAWK 18 1/2" BARREL FOR DEER IN THE CATSKILL MTN'S OF NY

IT IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE PERFOMING BULLET I HAVE EVER USED
ON WHITE TAIL DEER AND HAVE NEVER RECOVERED A SINGLE BULLET
AND NEVER HAD TO USE MORE THAN ONE SHOT.
THE HYDROSTATIC SHOCK FROM THIS BULLET IS EXCELLENT
SOME DEER DROP INSTANTLY. THE DEER THAT DO NOT ONLY
GO A SHORT DISTANCE.
THE VELOCITY I SHOOT IS AROUND 2500 FPS.

WILL BE SHOOTING THESE IN MY NEW REM 700 CLASSIC 300 SAV.
I HAVE BEEN LOADING AND SHOOTING SINCE 1970
I FEEL THE LEAD TIP SB IS A STOUTER BULLET THAN THE BT AND
I WILL BE USING THEM ON MY TRIP TO COLORADO THIS FALL.

KEEP UP THE GOOD BULLETS NOSLER!!!!!
GREAT FORUM

THANKS!!
DAVE R&R

I have been using the 170 grain Round Nose Nosler for Wisconsin Whitetail Deer.

Works just great!
:lol:
Shot more Deer with a .300 than any other gun I owned and hunted with!

Back