300gr Partition and 260gr Accubond

Agree, most of the .375 bullets I've tested have been pretty impressive.

The only one that gives me some concern is the 270 Hornady Spire Point - it seems quite fragile compared to all other .375 bullets I've tried.

The 300 gr Hornady spire point boat tail on the other hand looked great when tested against the water jugs.

Of course the only one I've actually used in the field is the 260 Nosler AccuBond, and it's done very well.

There are likely some very experienced .375 hunters out there, chuckling at us... :grin:

Sako 85":21dfdeik said:
DrMike":21dfdeik said:
They are each distinctive, that's for certain. It is helpful to see them together.
I agree Mike, that's why I took a photo with them all together, they all look real good, with each one serving a different purpose on certain types of large heavy game.

For black bear I need a bullet that opens up fast, and drives deep with good expansion, it's a tose up between the Partition and the Oryx on this hunt :)

Lou :wink:

Lou,

The 260 gr PT would meet your bear load requirement. It opens fast, delivers a lot of shock and penetrates deep.

JD338

SJB358":159oq7jg said:
Yeah, I would think that Oryx would be something fearsome on black bears Gerry. That bullet has some excellent looking frontal diameter.

Does anybody load any of the Woodleighs in factory ammo?

Scotty, Norma loads the Woodleighs in factory ammo 8)

Sako 85":2oenen4y said:
SJB358":2oenen4y said:
Yeah, I would think that Oryx would be something fearsome on black bears Gerry. That bullet has some excellent looking frontal diameter.

Gotcha. Norma is really stepping up their NA game with offered loads. Seems like they are kicking butt with the amount of ammo they have available nowadays.

Those would have to be some BIG mushrooms.. Wow, that is alot of bullet right there!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/315630 ... uctFinding

SJB358":1gsbnqz9 said:
Sako 85":1gsbnqz9 said:
SJB358":1gsbnqz9 said:

Gotcha. Norma is really stepping up their NA game with offered loads. Seems like they are kicking butt with the amount of ammo they have available nowadays.

Those would have to be some BIG mushrooms.. Wow, that is alot of bullet right there!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/315630 ... uctFinding
Also double tap ammunition loads the woodleighs as well Scotty 8)
Lou

I saw that too Lou. Talk about some serious ammo for stuff that is up close.

JD338":7rfnj89q said:
Sako 85":7rfnj89q said:
DrMike":7rfnj89q said:
They are each distinctive, that's for certain. It is helpful to see them together.
I agree Mike, that's why I took a photo with them all together, they all look real good, with each one serving a different purpose on certain types of large heavy game.

For black bear I need a bullet that opens up fast, and drives deep with good expansion, it's a tose up between the Partition and the Oryx on this hunt :)

Lou :wink:

Lou,

The 260 gr PT would meet your bear load requirement. It opens fast, delivers a lot of shock and penetrates deep.

JD338
Hi Jim, oh yah that would be awesome too pal :) ..I'm thinking 300gr Norma Oryx, with the long black hair on a bruin, they can soak up alot of blood before leaving a good blood trail (if needed) but with the Oryx, it should leave one nasty hole :shock: exiting with plenty of blood for any tracking if needed in the heavy cover that I'll be hunting from :twisted:
Lou

If you shoulder shoot a bear, he won't go anywhere.
The PT is a shoulder buster.

JD338

Agree. In my admittedly limited experience, bears can't go far with busted up shoulders.

The outfitter I guided for didn't like shoulder shots, and saw bears run off with a busted up shoulder. I can see two reasons why he felt that way:

1. Poor bullets (which is not a problem with any of the 375 bullets mentioned here)
2. Some people try so hard to hit shoulders they actually miss the vitals.

A shot through the lungs (which of course can also be a shoulder shot) is what he liked best.

Yeah, it's odd how nothing actually lives very long with both lungs shredded...

Who would have thunk? :mrgreen:

Double lung shot for me, 7 bears can atest to that :twisted:

Guy Miner":193i2gys said:
Agree, most of the .375 bullets I've tested have been pretty impressive.

The only one that gives me some concern is the 270 Hornady Spire Point - it seems quite fragile compared to all other .375 bullets I've tried.

The 300 gr Hornady spire point boat tail on the other hand looked great when tested against the water jugs.

Of course the only one I've actually used in the field is the 260 Nosler AccuBond, and it's done very well.

There are likely some very experienced .375 hunters out there, chuckling at us... :grin:

Guy, I have been shooting the Hornady 270 grain spire point at 2750 fps for almost 20 years with good to excellent results on a few elk here in Montana. A small bull I shot caused complete jacket separation after hitting a rib on entering. Since I had noticed jacket separation only once before on a sand pile I contacted Hornady and they told me that speeds over 2500 fps will cause the separation. I have been looking for a new bullet ever since but I am reluctant to change something that shoots so accurately in my rifle. Now, I understand that the Hornady will no longer be available. After considerable research, I have come to the conclusion that the 260 grain AccuBond is the best bet for my hunting situations. Now if I could just buy some...any ideas when Nosler will be sending more of these out? I would like to put a few boxes downrange before November.

JD338":itch27f8 said:
Lou,

the 300 gr PT vs the 300 gr A Frame is very similar with the Swift penetrating 1 more jug than the Nosler.
I bet the PT would produce more soft tissue trauma though with the softer front core, which it is designed to do.

Great comparison Lou!

JD338

Hi Jim, after giving it much thought, I ran 20 rounds of the PT's @100 yds yesterday, and they just gave me groups like a cluster, I even managed to make 1 ragged hole with 6 shots in a 1" square, 2.5" high above the bulls eye.

Long story short, I returned the 3 boxes of swifts, and exchanged them for 3 boxes of the Federal loaded Cape Shok 300gr Partitions :grin:

It's now safe to say, I well run only the 300gr Partitions in my .375 H&H :)
Lou

Lou, that 300 gr Nosler Partition has actually performed rather well on Cape Buffalo according to some African hunters with whom I've spoken...

I've got about 150 of them, and am hoarding them, hoping for a Cape Buff hunt someday... :grin:

Back