338/06 bullet runout fix?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I got my new to me Wby ULwt in and my LEE dies (which has a long tapered expander. I lubed, formed some new Win. 06 brass, felt/looked swell. Rifle has long throat and the Speer 200 only had .25" seated when touching the Lands. So I seated them almost a caliber deep. When I rolled across my bench I see bullet wobble. Question: Will this resolve itself after first firing, anyone? Am I fretting about nothing? Should I just load/shoot the Speer 200 to fireform? I am also going to neck down some new Rem 35 Whelen brass and see what it does. I can use some long 225 CX ) shot bad in last Win Mag) to "jam into lands" to fireform, would it be worth it to straighten out the case? If so. what amount of 4064 ( I have a wad of it is why) would you suggest? I've always had great results with LEE dies for a hunting rifle. My goal is 1.5" for 3 shots rounded, which, to me in this LW rifle would be exceptional! And no doubt, tighter would make me "happier", ha. Help??

Last edited:
Try seating the bullet 1/2 way, lift the handle, spin the case 1/2 turn, then finish seating the bullet. (you can go one step further by turning case 1/3 and seating in 3 steps instead of 2) This may help.
Otherwise you may need to trim the case neck by turning to get the case neck wall evenly thick to mitigate the issue. Probably best option as you are necking up from the 30-06 case and your neck's brass has been moved from factory thickness in the process. It can be a variable that will have an impact on accuracy.
I realize that the Nosler ammo and brass isn't inexpensive (if you can locate some), but would be another option to consider; especially for hunting loads.

Thank you sir! I hate neck turning or reaming, ha, thats why I wanted a plain 338/06, ha. I found some Norma 35 Whelen Brass, if its legit and they actually "have it on the shelf" when I get it should work swell necked down. I'm going to try a few of my Lapua '06 brass and see how they look...

I would try to fireform them first to align the necks and case to your chamber and see if it wobbles again since you formed and expanded the necks, it may have gone out of alignment. If you don't see improved results, try to clean up the necks a little with a neck turner, cutting about .0005" , I like using full size bushing dies if neck turning since I can buy a smaller bushing to keep the neck tension .002" after turning.

Thanks Mark. I had set up my sizing die for a slight bolt crush on the Win cases. I tried the Lapua with the same setting and it gave an even better bolt crush! I'm happy. I'm going to set up 10 of the Winchester/225 CX over 57gr Big Game for zeroing/fireforming, mini break in. I'm going to work up a load with the 200 NAB/Lapua and Big Game just like I normally would do ( bullet seated off the Lands 30 thou) and see what she does. The Lapua has a great bolt crush on the sized up case as is. Good stuff!

Last edited:
I have Lee dies for my 35 Whelen and had some runout (more than I would’ve liked) when sizing up new 30-06 Winchester brass. One would think that the long tapered expander would be ideal , not quite. After a firing everything is good so you should be fine.

I would try to fireform them first to align the necks and case to your chamber and see if it wobbles again since you formed and expanded the necks, it may have gone out of alignment. If you don't see improved results, try to clean up the necks a little with a neck turner, cutting about .0005" , I like using full size bushing dies if neck turning since I can buy a smaller bushing to keep the neck tension .002" after turning.
This

Thanks Mark. I had set up my sizing die for a slight bolt crush on the Win cases. I tried the Lapua with the same setting and it gave an even better bolt crush! I'm happy. I'm going to set up 10 of the Winchester/225 CX over 57gr Big Game for zeroing/fireforming, mini break in. I'm going to work up a load with the 200 NAB/Lapua and Big Game just like I normally would do ( bullet seated off the Lands 30 thou) and see what she does. The Lapua has a great bolt crush on the sized up case as is. Good stuff!
Good to hear its coming together nicely for you, let us know the results.

Couldn't load past 3.33" because of magazine. I loaded the 225CX/Win loads to lighty jam into Leade. 3.56" loaded singly, 57 BG, they formed well, but bullets hit all over, no help in zero, ha. I just loaded the Lapua and 200 NAB as usual. 58 shot 3 into 1.25-1.5", mild pressure. 58.5 went into about 2.5", 59 went first shot fine (near POA at 100) next two went about 2.5" lower vertically, but "one hole". I was using CCI 250 (neither Federals nor WLRMs fit the tight Lapua pockets) I will try from 58-60 but with the BR2, see if its an ignition issue. I just started with a Mag Primer since its a Ball powder, but I got the impression its too violent. BUT I'm sticking to Lapua virgin '06 to form. Sure enough, the Norma 35 W brass was "Backordered". Cancelled it and bought another 50 Lapua!
The little rifle is a Gem! With its brake, feels like a 7x57/7mm08. And the fluted barrel didn't feel like had a tendency to get hot and "walk". I spaced the Nosler loads, waiting 2 to 5 minutes between. I went through the Win/CX loads pretty fast. No issues. Also, for a 6 3/4 # scoped rifle it was not "too light", shot just as easy as my Kimbers ! I'm jazzed. Will try to post a pic...again. Lord help me!

The BR2 trials were a bust for accuracy...3.5" groups! Going back to 57 through 58 in increments and "finesse" it with Mag primers. While I found BG to ignite very well (for Ball Powder) it didn't like the BR2 Combo in my rifle!

Back