Bullet runout

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I was loading some more 30-30 rounds this morning. New brass was just prepped running over the sizing ball on standard RCBS full length die.
Just for giggles I checked bullet runout on a Hornady Concentricity tool and was surprised to find runout to be less than .0001 on most of the rounds.

I normally see more than that.

Does the long case neck contribute to more concentric bullet seating with the 30-30?

My guess is the brass necks are consistently soft.I been watching this over the years.Norma and Lapua brass shows almost zero runout.My Winchester and Remington brass will have a little from the start,many around .003-.005,but everytime it's fired,I see more runout,especially around the third or forth time it's fired.Now anneal that same brass and it might surprise you to see nearly zero runout,maybe even less than when it was new,even after it's been fired four times.

Last edited:
I recently started annealing brass but I haven’t done it enough to get any results. Sounds promising though.

Less than 1 ten thousandths, wow. I strive to see that low bullet run out with my loads but never could. I usually see .001 or more mostly. I have that cheap RCBS concentric gauge. I don't check it much these days, except if I have issues getting groups.

Last edited:
Less than 1 ten thousandths, wow. I strive to see that low bullet run out with my loads but never could. I usually see .001 or more mostly. I have that cheap RCBS concentric gauge. I don't check it much these days, except if I have issues getting groups.
I don’t think the Hornady too went less than .001. But I don’t have one so I couldnt
Comment

I was loading some more 30-30 rounds this morning. New brass was just prepped running over the sizing ball on standard RCBS full length die.
Just for giggles I checked bullet runout on a Hornady Concentricity tool and was surprised to find runout to be less than .0001 on most of the rounds.

I normally see more than that.

Does the long case neck contribute to more concentric bullet seating with the 30-30?
That sounds excellent to me.

if you have runout problems, try seating the bullet in steps, start the bullet, back the ram off spin the case 60 degrees, seat it a bit more spin the case, then finish seating.
That's how my mentor showed me to do it. I mark a dot on the brass with a dry erase marker to judge how far to spin it.

if you have runout problems, try seating the bullet in steps, start the bullet, back the ram off spin the case 60 degrees, seat it a bit more spin the case, then finish seating.

I don't go quite to all of those steps but I do seat the bullet halfway, raise the handle partway spin it 90 degrees and finish seating. Can't say it does or doesn't do anything, it's just what I do.

I've never checked bullet runout, but I anneal pretty regular and use that seating method and don't usually have an issue getting a rifle to shoot with one that is capable of doing so, so maybe it's a step that helps.

I have always done that when reloading. Just a habit I picked up but had no idea if it was beneficial or not.

That's what I do and I have very little runout as well

I don’t think the Hornady too went less than .001. But I don’t have one so I couldnt
Comment
You are right about that. Certainly a bit optimistic on my part as it’s .01not .001.
Back to the drawing board.

prrobably the expander ball causing it, run a case into the sizer, loosen the lock nuts to the decapping rod, back the ram off till the expander ball makes contact, pull down on the ram till it makes firm contact, then tighten the lock nut. see if that helps.

I don't go quite to all of those steps but I do seat the bullet halfway, raise the handle partway spin it 90 degrees and finish seating. Can't say it does or doesn't do anything, it's just what I do.

I've never checked bullet runout, but I anneal pretty regular and use that seating method and don't usually have an issue getting a rifle to shoot with one that is capable of doing so, so maybe it's a step that helps.
I was taught this method too!

Back