338 Win Mag 225 Hornady SP-RP 2875FPS

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I tried to capture this bullet yesterday and somehow it must've zigged off to the weeds as it penetrated the jugs. I found some pieces of jacket and core, but that was about it. I was sorta determined today to catch it and I did..

I ran this bullet over the same load I use for the 225 PT and BBC in my 338, which is Nosler brass, 71.5 grains of RL17 and CCI250's.

Anyhow, it made it through 4 jugs and was found under jug #5.

Bullet did pretty decent. I wasn't sure what to expect after yesterdays results, but it seems like it opens up decent and retains a decent amount of weight. Pretty decently sized frontal area as well. Haven't shot them for accuracy but they seem to shoot real well in a few other rifles that I know of.

I love the Hornady 165gr SP in my in my 30-06 loaded to right around 2900 fps. I've only recovered 1 in a white tail and it traveled full length of the body bouncing of ribs braking bones coming to rest in the left hind under the hide. This bullet was deflected by a limb I didn't see and struck behind the left front shoulder, it looked a lot like the one you recovered.

Looks like it lost the front half of the lead core. I used these in my .338 years ago but like the Partitions better.

Weight loss is just a little less than 50 percent. Scotty, at what distance was the shot? I whacked a cow Elk at 55 yards with my .338 Ultra mag using a 225 grain Sierra Pro hunter at 2980FPS and was able to retrieve the bullet after it went through over two feet of Elk. Retained weight was 184 grains with a perfect mushroom. I have found the Pro Hunters hold up very well in other calibers also.

Back