.35 Whelen article.

PJGunner

Handloader
Dec 11, 2010
OK all you fans of the .35 Whelen. GUNS Magazine has an article by John Barsness on the .35 Whelen. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but the quick scan I gave it last nght looks like it might be an interesting read, Title sez it has to do with 400 yard shooting with the Whelen. 8)
Looks like some interesting load data as well.
I'll probably get to it tonight with a bit of luck.
Paul B.

I don't have a 35 Whelen but I do have the short action version the 350 Remington Magnum and I'm a big fan...super efficient and powerful 54gr. of Benchmark gets 2700fps with a 225gr. Barnes TSX out of Ruger. Not much on this continent or any other that it wouldn't handle. The Whelen is a twin only in a long action.

I have both a Whelen (Ruger) and a 350 RM (Remington). Either will get the job done for me. I really enjoy either of these cartridges.

The nice things about the Ruger is they have a 1 in 12" twist which would help if longer and or heavier bullets are on the menu. In the case of the 350RM they have a longer magazine box which also helps

That 225 TSX is a beast in my Whelen. Used it with 60.5 or 61 grains of RL15.

The 350 Rem is pretty danged cool. Which model do you have Dan?

SJB358":3iw02utp said:
That 225 TSX is a beast in my Whelen. Used it with 60.5 or 61 grains of RL15.

The 350 Rem is pretty danged cool. Which model do you have Dan?

I have a Model 77 Mark II All-Weather Scotty...stainless steel/synthetic with a 22" barrel

BigBoreDan":77yxam2r said:
The nice things about the Ruger is they have a 1 in 12" twist which would help if longer and or heavier bullets are on the menu. In the case of the 350RM they have a longer magazine box which also helps

When did Ruger make the change? My pre-MKII as a 1 in 16" twist. When I got it, I thought at least Ruger would do it right until I checked it out. I know my Remington Classic M700 is also a 1 in 16" gun. My Mauser is 1 in 14" but that one is someone else's custom build that I got at an estate sale.
Like Scotty, my pet load is 60.4 gr. of Re15 with the 225 gr. Barnes TSX and that one is an elk slayer supreme. :mrgreen: Also, 59.0 gr. of Re15 with the 225 gr. Nosler AccuBond and Partition bullets is showing lots of promise in the Mauser. 8) One of these days I'll have to work up loads for the other two rifles. I've been thinking of leaving the Mauser as is with the 225 gr. bulets and working up loads for the 250 gr. bullets in the Remington and using the Ruger for cast bullet loads.
Paul B.

I don't know when the switch was made for sure but I know the MK II's and the Hawkeye in 35 Whelen are 1 in 12". It was a big factor in my buying the rifle...that plus the fact it was a very good deal.

My Hawkeye was a 16 twist. I finally pulled the barrel, replacing it with a Hart 12 twist. My .358 Hawkeye is a 14 twist.

Every thing I have heard says the Rem 1:16 classics will shoot the 250gr Partition very accurately. I went with a 1:14 twist with my shilen barreled 358win so far I am very happy. The 225gr partitions are the lonest bullet I plan to shoot in it.

tjen":28suw9t6 said:
Every thing I have heard says the Rem 1:16 classics will shoot the 250gr Partition very accurately. I went with a 1:14 twist with my shilen barreled 358win so far I am very happy. The 225gr partitions are the lonest bullet I plan to shoot in it.

The 250 PT's in the CDL shoot AWESOME! It's the reason I can't get rid of it. It'll stack 250 PT's.

Scotty,
:mrgreen: You have got to stop shooting from 25 yards ....................... put your targets out where they should be! :lol:

35 Whelen":333f67g7 said:
Scotty,
:mrgreen: You have got to stop shooting from 25 yards ....................... put your targets out where they should be! :lol:

It's too hard to shoot that far out buddy!

Another great article :). I have a 24" PACNOR barrel with a 1-14 twist. It shoots 225ABs like a dream @ 2735-2750fps. I just posted my Elk hunt and I shot a cow elk ranged with my Leica 1600B at 507 yards. I normally would have tried to get a lot closer but without cover I took the shot. To tell the truth I never even thought of it being to far.

PS. The bullet performance was almost perfect the shot was just a little off :(

Blessings,
Dan

35 Whelen":6yymthtm said:
Scotty,

And did you notice, not a single burn mark! Amazing what 35 calibre pencils can do with a target. :shock:

I read it too and as usual John Barsness did a good job of it. I believe he is a big fan of the 9.3x62 but it was nice to see him do some work with the 35 Whelen. It has had the reputation of being a "medium range" round but properly loaded it can reach out as a few of you gentlemen have found out :) Remington's factory loads are really mild but thankfully other companies like Nosler, Hornady and Double Tap load the round up to it's potential. Still my favorite round I like that it kills well without kicking too hard and can do the job way out there if necessary. I have 50 Norma brass coming in a couple of weeks, I'm looking forward to seeing what high quality brass does in my gun.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I just read the article again and was wondering. Have any of you tried TAC in your whelen?

Back