350 gr A Frame and 350 gr Kodiak

Dwh7271

Handloader
Nov 18, 2013
Shot a 350 gr AFrame and 350 gr Kodiak with the same exact load into jugs at 25 feet. Aframe was in 6th jug, Kodiak in 6th jug. I kind of threw a monkey wrench into the jug test though as there were 4 milk jugs and 4 of the big cat litter jugs filled with water. FWIW, the cat litter jugs work great, although bigger and more water.
Retained weight- AFrame-347.5 gr, Kodiak- 320.2 gr
Load was 45 gr of RL7 in Starline cases, WLR primer from a 22" barreled Marlin 45-70. Should be right at 1950 fps.
Both of these were darn impressive bullets. The first four jugs completely shrapneled. Shredded them. That impact has to be enormous. Both bullets put a serious dent in the back of the 6th jug (last two were the cat litter jugs with significantly thicker plastic)
Aframe was .692 expanded, Kodiak was .812
Photos- Aframe on left, Kodiak on right
image_zpsahppi2g3.jpg

image_zpssaoawasb.jpg

image_zpsvmhna9ig.jpg

I like both designs and use them in various cartridges. It looks as if either will put a hurt on anything shot with them. Good looking performance, Dewey.

Always liked the kodiaks but I ran the 405gr kodiaks at 1925fps. Very impressive bullets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! (y)

I tried the 350 Swift A-Frame years ago, and came away very impressed. Never got around to trying the Kodiak...

Guy

Great results Dewey. That 350 Kodiak looks really darned good. I like that big ol frontal area out there. Man, might have to put a load together for them. 1900-2000 seems like a pretty good shooting load. Haven't shot the 45-70 in awhile. Might be time to break it out and get to shooting..

Dewey,

Both bullets look great. I like the large frontal area of the Kodiak bullet. It would make for s real bear stopper.
JD338

Yep, the Kodiak really stepped up. That's got to leave a pretty fair sized hole.
I didn't know what to expect on the Kodiak, now I have some more coming. :grin:
The A Frame seems to me to be very similar (I know in structure it is) in performance to the Partition in that the results seems to be very predictable, which in bullets is good.
Can't wait to see what the other Kodiaks I have coming do. Pretty interesting at least although my first inclination on loads is still a Partition or AB. Just seemed since Nosler won't make us any more 458 Partitions for the 45-70 (hint!) a good alternative was needed.

Shot a 350 gr AFrame and 350 gr Kodiak with the same exact load into jugs at 25 feet. Aframe was in 6th jug, Kodiak in 6th jug. I kind of threw a monkey wrench into the jug test though as there were 4 milk jugs and 4 of the big cat litter jugs filled with water. FWIW, the cat litter jugs work great, although bigger and more water.
Retained weight- AFrame-347.5 gr, Kodiak- 320.2 gr
Load was 45 gr of RL7 in Starline cases, WLR primer from a 22" barreled Marlin 45-70. Should be right at 1950 fps.
Both of these were darn impressive bullets. The first four jugs completely shrapneled. Shredded them. That impact has to be enormous. Both bullets put a serious dent in the back of the 6th jug (last two were the cat litter jugs with significantly thicker plastic)
Aframe was .692 expanded, Kodiak was .812
Photos- Aframe on left, Kodiak on right
image_zpsahppi2g3.jpg

image_zpssaoawasb.jpg

image_zpsvmhna9ig.jpg
45.0 of RL 7 is a very low for RL 7 and 350 gr

Man, makes me miss seeing and hearing from ol Dewey! That fella was a true Rifle Loonie!

No... But I shot 350 gr Berry's bullets today from a 45-70 lever gun, at three different power levels. Fun, and interesting. :)

Guy

I bought 500 350gr Berry bullets myself. The price was good and shipping was free. That should keep me shooting the ol' 45-70 for quite a while. However, I did notice that they shot to a COMPLETLY different POI than my previous hunting load. They are fine bullets for slapping steel whenever you need to just have a little fun.

Guy - what load are you using? Velocity?

I used IMR 3031 at about 1400, 1750 and 1880 fps. The Henry I was shooting got a bit sporty at 1880 fps with 350 gr bullets. :)

Article coming out in a couple of weeks.

I used IMR 3031 at about 1400, 1750 and 1880 fps. The Henry I was shooting got a bit sporty at 1880 fps with 350 gr bullets. :)

Article coming out in a couple of weeks.

I tested the Berrys with 6 different powders in my 18.5" Marlin 1895 SBL. My goal was to get an accurate load that came in at about 1,600fps. The stand-out winner in my test was IMR4198. Normally I would use H4198 but I grabbed a couple of cans of IMR4198 when the Hodgdon couldn't be found. Looks like I'll need a bit more of the IMR powder. :D

Back