375 Ruger with a 300gr. Partition?

300 H&H

Beginner
Aug 31, 2010
Will a 300gr. Nosler Partition be too stiff on elk size game in a 20" barrel 375 Ruger? I know I can shoot lighter grain but if I was going to do that would of gone with 338 caliber. Mostly shooting in heavy timber. Shots would be less then 200yds. more likely 20 to 80yds. My rifle seems to like flat base bullets better then bt's with 100yd. groups.
Thanks Mark.

You worried about it not expanding?

I think it will do just fine... Nosler builds their famous Partition to expand well, even at modest velocity. You'll certainly have PLENTY of bullet for elk!

Any idea what sort of muzzle velocity you're getting from that 20" .375? I'll bet it's pretty decent.

Guy

Haven't loaded them yet. I worked up a load with Hornady 300gr. Rn item #3720 that shoots less then 1/2" 3 shot group at 100yds. Only problem is Hornady has discontinued it and their 300gr. Bt's iin their line. They only produce the DGX and DGS in 300gr. If you now anybody that would trade out a complete box of 300gr. BT for a box of 300gr. Rn let me know. Asked Hornady about the DGX soft nose. They said it will not expand enough for elk size game. I will chrono the Hornady 300gr. Rn tomorrow and will post velocity on them.

I've got quite a few of those 300 gr Hornady BT bullets, but am loathe to trade them. Also have some of the 300 gr Round Nose bullets. Here's a link to a water-jug test I did with the 300 Boat Tail at 2500+ fps:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=18213

The bullet expanded well, but sure didn't come apart. I was impressed. Accurate too.

I should imagine that the 300 grain PTs on elk will work very well. I wouldn't hesitate to whack about anything with that bullet, from a twenty inch barrel or from a twenty-four inch barrel. Sounds like a heckuva deal.

I have been loading 260 nosler partitions in my 375 ruger African at 2800 FPS. The two elk I shot with that combo died before they hit the ground.

I think the 300 gr PT will be just fine for elk. You should be able t reach the vitals from any angle.

JD338

Glad to hear it will work. I was going to try Swift A-Frame, Woodleigh or Partitions. Found a box of 50 Partitions at my local sporting goods and that I would try them in the Ruger 375 Guide Gun. I have used the 200gr. Partitions in the 300 H&H and have shot a mule deer and was happy with it. Just wondered in the 375 if it would expand enough. I have 65rds. of the Hornady 300gr. RN loaded that shot very well with 77.5grs. of RE-17 and a WLRM primer that shot 3 shots less then 1/2" group at 100yds. I have about 4.5 pounds of RE-17 left and will have to load some 300gr. Partitions now to see if I can get same results. Will be at the range tomorrow with the chronograph and see what velocity is in the 20" barrel with what I got loaded so I can compare when I get the Partitions loaded. I have a plan on using the new 375 Ruger this year for elk and possibility a bear. Opening day of elk season is on my 50th Birthday. Wife wanted to throw a Big Party but told her if she wanted to have it that night around the campfire and hopefully have an elk hanging in camp. I would be a very happy camper. :grin: Thanks and I will keep you posted.

JD338":1352g6yq said:
I think the 300 gr PT will be just fine for elk. You should be able t reach the vitals from any angle.

JD338
+1

I would also use the 300gr Partition/ Swift A-frame as well, they both well expand very well :) ..I run 300gr Swift-A frames outta my .375 H&H only because they are much more accurate out of my Sako 85. FWIW I shot a wildboar with factory loaded 300gr soft points @70yds, the entrance hole was the size of a golf ball, and you could put a pop can side ways through the exit hole!..I wouldn't use this load for large game though.

Lou :)

Just got back home from the range. Chronographed the Hornady 300gr. RN load. 2476fps. was the lowest and 2502fps. was the highest. Average was 2488fps. out of the 20" barrel 375 Ruger. Now I will load some 300gr. Partitions and see how well they group as well as velocities.

I think you're well within the working envelope of the 300 gr Partition at those velocities. Much .375 H&H factory ammo actually churns up about 2400 - 2500 fps at the muzzle and the H&H has a wonderful record on game, for the past 100 years.

BTW, I've become enamored of the accuracy and performance of the 260 gr Nosler AccuBond. If you do want some more velocity, consider that bullet. It's worked out really well for me on black bear, though I must admit that I've not yet shot an elk with it, or any other .375 bullet.

Regards, Guy

Back