444 The versatile lever.

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I have always liked the 444. It was my first lever ever and I always liked it the best.
Though there are many rifles and handguns in my safes that will do everything this rifle can none will do it all.

I have been playing with different loadings with the 444 for a long time and have assembled some interesting loads.
Here are some

444 Shot shell. 1/2 oz (220 grains) #8 shot 410 wad (fits perfectly) in the 444 case. Stoke it with 14 gr of H110 and topped off by an overshot wad, then use a roll crimp to hold the overshot wad in place.

Up to 25-30 yards no blue grouse is safe while you're elk hunting.

For little varmints at short range a .433" black powder ball over 12 grains of unique for 1500 fps. Seat it to its midsection with a slight crimp. Very good accuracy up to 50 yards or so. I did not have any on hand for show.

For long range (if there is such a thing for a lever) the 265 gr FTX with 42.5 H4198 propels this bullet close to 2300 fps.

My heavy load consists of 300 gr Sierras over 56.5 gr H335 for 2150 fps , Yes the sierra 300 gr are not made for the 444. All you have to do is seat them below the cannalure and use the Lee factory crimp to crimp in place. They will not move I promise you.

Anyway here are the pictures of my loads I assembled today.

300 grain sierra

Shotshell making I use an 11mm punch-cutter I got from e-bay for $5.00.

Awwww. Doggone it Fotis.
Here I am, all settled on a Marlin 45/70 for next fall and you post this :lol:
Now I'm really torn.
Regardless, neat stuff there.
The various experiments are neat.
A shot load would never have occurred to me.
Thanks! (Even if now I'm confused)

Very neat; I do love lever guns, and the 444 would be a sweet one, for sure.

Fotis, I struggled with the decision between the .444 and .45-70 for months before I bought my first Marlin 1895. At the time the .444 came out, there was nothing but .429 dia. pistol weight bullets for the .444. Whereas the .45-70 always had 350, 405 and 500 grain bullets available since the 19th century. I went with the .45-70 for that reason. Also the guru's of gun-dom were predicting grave misfortune for the .444. Again the pistol bullet issue.

However, I am happy to say that finally the .444 has reached its rightful place among the large bore rifles. The cartridge deserves and has earned its place in the world of big bore levers.

Thanks guys... and I do have an SS 1895 guide gun in 45-70 also a pre 64 32 WS a marlin 35 REM a Marlin 30-30 and a Browning in 348 Win. Add to those the Sako Finn in 308 and I would say I am covered....lever-wise.

Charlie, I know what you mean about the "pistol" bullet issue for sure but that was a yesterday issue. Today we have plenty. The swift a frames are incredible also.

My hardest hitting load is a 355 grain Beartooth cast in .433" at 2100 fps with H322. That will flatten everything.

Have you seen the series of great articles authored by Marshall Stanton, re the .444 Marlin?

He posted those up on Beartooth Bullets quite a few years ago, and they're a great read for any fan of big bore Marlins!

Sorry, don't have a link to post at the moment. Worth searching though.

Guy

Looked it up Guy. YUP read them all years ago

I haven't tried shotshells in mine, but I've loaded all kinds of fun stuff from 44 Mag level loads all the way to Marshall's 330. My favorites are the 265 Hornady FNSP and Marshall's 290 grain LFNGC.

I love the 444 as well. I haven't done nearly as much as Fotis, but I love that 300 grain Sierra. It is a tough bullet. I need to try and get one into jugs someday. Very accurate as well..

The 300 grain Nosler does well too..

Another cool bullet is the 250 Sierra...

Pretty inexpensive alternative to the 250 PT...

I like my 444 a bunch. Great rifle and as Fotis put, really does alot of work. Haven't tried the shotshells yet, but it seems like fun too!

Mines even one of those old crappy Remlins from 2009!

Fine shooting, Scotty. The rifleman does the rifle justice, and the rifle didn't let you down.

Fotis, don't have my notes, but it was kicking down 2200 or something. I made it up for Lori to bear hunt with. The 250 at 2200 (I think) was pretty mild on recoil.

That is the bullet right there.

Very cool stuff guys.

I've used the 300 gr & 250 gr Sierras from my .44's for a long time. Both are impressive!

As with others, I was torn between the .444 and the .45/70, and finally went with the .45/70 simply because I ran across a great deal on one. Either cartridge would have been fine. There's a fellow over on Marlin Owners forum who has slightly modified his .444 and is running longer-than spec cartridges through it, with big cast bullets, and is getting tremendous power from his .444, I think up into the 4,000 FPE level as I recall. Not sure I would want to go there with a Marlin, but what he's done is impressive.

I found that I was happy as all get out running a little below Hodgdon's recommended max loads with the .45/70 and would likely be just as pleased with one of those great .444 rifles.

Scotty, that "Remlin" looks great. Any QC issues to report? I know that was a time of transition for Marlin and have read of some pretty serious problems with rifles assembled in that time frame.

Guy

Nah, it was a little rough in the action when I first got it, but so was my 1895 45-70. After about a 100 rounds they both started to smooth out. Other than that, it shoots and shoots well. I think I'll keep it around a little.

Love the 444, it's wicked medicine when used at appropriate ranges with a 265gr Hornady!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 507
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 507
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 507
Just ordered some .433 round balls for defense/fun loads.

I have only ever fired a few target rounds through my friends .444 Marlin but he has killed several elk that I know of with his. He has always preferred the 265-280 grain bullets.

It shoots pretty darned tight (1.75-2.25" groups) closely rivaling my favorite leverguns the Savage 99s.

Good choice.

filmjunkie4ever":25dn74r6 said:
I have only ever fired a few target rounds through my friends .444 Marlin but he has killed several elk that I know of with his. He has always preferred the 265-280 grain bullets.

It shoots pretty darned tight (1.75-2.25" groups) closely rivaling my favorite leverguns the Savage 99s.

Good choice.

Mine shoots like a bench gun! Loves the 300's

Back