6.5mm 100 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip ?

gldprimr

Beginner
Mar 12, 2006
Hi,

I’ve been on the forum for years though never posted before now. I’m a person who has had great success with Nosler bullets in particular Ballistic Tips on white tailed deer here in Mississippi.

I’ve got a new rifle CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel and want to use it with 100 gr. Ballistic Tips for deer hunting this fall. I haven’t used a bullet this light in over 40 years though I know the Ballistic Tip is a better deer bullet than those I used at the time.

Does anyone have direct experience with this bullet at ~ 2700 - 2800 fps muzzle velocity on deer?
Most of my shots are close, less than 100 yards more typically 40-80 yards.

I want to use this cartridge and bullet weight to minimize recoil as I have a shoulder injury that makes recoil with my other rifles painful.

Comments from those with direct experience using this bullet appreciated.

Thanks

No experience with that particular bullet, but I do want to welcome you to the forum. No doubt one of the men and/or women with experience will be along shortly to give you the benefit of their experience. Again, welcome aboard.

Just to throw this out there.

If you're shooting close (under 100yds)- any reason you're interested in the 100gr? You can go up to the 120gr BT or the 125PT and get 2500fps MV without difficulty in the Grendel.

Those bullets at the impact speeds you'd get are proven performers for a long time now. That said- I see no reason the 100gr wouldn't work. It's built with the same jacket and base the 120s are .

From what I understand your looking at the same situation as the 120 vs 140 in the .284 BT. Same jacket just weighs less. In that case you will have Zero problems, especially at Grendel velocities.

The question is, how much freezer space do you have?

6 or 7 years ago I loaded some in 6.5x55 and shot a decent sized buck at 230 yds with my Tikka T-3. It broke a rib going in, veered upward through the lungs and blew out a chunk of spine. Not a textbook bullet path but it worked.

Ron

Back