6mm Rem

Guy Miner":23rthv1g said:
Mike, it looks like my most recent .308 Win/Krieger barrel and my supply of .30 cal match bullets might just exhaust themselves about the same time.

I'm thinking seriously about re-barreling to a 6mm Rem or something similar, next time the Green Machine gets a new barrel... Maybe a 6.5, but I do really like the varmint/deer capability of the 6mm's.

I'd go with the Rem varmint contour again, a Krieger of course, and likely have it fluted to cut the weight a bit. It's going to be heavier as a 6mm than it would be as a .308 Win.

Yes, that's a mighty attractive option... Might have to get some fancy new Wilson dies for it too... :grin:

Guy

The 6mm has some very good potential for a long range tactical rifle I’m afraid that if your running a short action in 6mm you might now have enough magazine length to load the High BC bullets out to the rifling. I would look really hard at the 6 XC, 6x47 or 6mm Dasher if your going that route.

That said for a tactical rifle its really hard to be a 6.5x47, 6.5 creed moor if your running AI magazines.

A bartlien or brux 1-8 for any of the above.

My buddy just built a 6.5x47 with a stiller action and brux 1-8 in rem varmint contour. Bolted into a KRG Xray chassis and topped with a vortex razor its been haning in the .4 MOA out to 300 yards. Waiting for good weather to take it long range.

Yeah, the 6mm Rem is pretty long and even the factory loads fill up the 2.8" factory short action Remington magazine pretty well...

I have loaded the 105 A-Max in our old 1974 Rem 700 BDL and it shot rather well, even from the factory barrel. Haven't tried anything longer, and doubt that I would.

Nostalgia would have me using the 6mm Rem, as I've used one for 40 years now in a factory 700 BDL. Though I did tell my son it was his about ten years ago. Kids... :grin:

One of the newer 6's or 6.5's would surely be a more rational choice.

Guy

tddeangelo - it is a nice cartridge. Started my youngest son out on it when he was 12 as I recall, and his first season of real hunting he brought down a mulie doe at 275 yards, with one shot. Bullet was the wonderful 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Since then he's hammered several other mulies and whitetails, and nothing hit with the little 6mm has run at all. Every one was DRT.

He did have one whitetail buck run a bit after being hit at a whopping 20 yards, by a 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip from a .30-06! It went about 20 - 30 yards, spraying blood all over the snow. We found it in the creek. Like a good dad, I hauled it out of the creek... Sigh... He did the cutting & cleaning though. Sorry for the aside on a 6mm thread.

Guy

Back