7.5x55 Swiss

I've not found the PRVI to group all that well in my rifles, regardless of caliber. Adequate, but not outstanding.

Sounds like you have a great specimen. Congrats.

That's what I was wondering! It will make it go BOOM, but not to expect great accuracy.
Well, anyway! Got to blow through it to reload and get better performance.

I saw last night that the Swiss are rebarreling their K-31rifles in .308, and using them as high powered match rifles!
Wow! Amazing! I didn't realize the K-31
was that strong. I'm glad it is!

I mostly shoot my K31 at the range with 168 gr Custom Comps. Very accurate. I had a stray box of Horn 150 gr BTSP's and worked up a hunting load for it but have never gotten around to taking it afield. I've hunted with a T38 Arisaka a few times though. There's something neat about hunting with an old mil-surp.

For dies go with Redding. I can't remember the specifics off-hand but basically surplus ammo is made where the body is a little narrower than normal through the shoulder area for reliable feeding. Other die makers cut their dies to replicate that taper whereas Redding cuts theirs to match the chamber so it doesn't work the brass as much through the body area behind the shoulder.

Another thing, I use judiciously use case comparators to adjust dies for a bare minimum of shoulder bump when resizing. What I found was that my typical 0.001-0.002" bump for bolt actions wasn't quite enough. For a straight pull actions cases really need to feed and extract easily and bumping the shoulder a shade more to 0.003"-0.004" was the ticket to get everything to work perfect. Of course that may have just been my rifle but it's something to keep an eye out for anyway.

Given it's .308 diameter and any hunting loads will use the same bullets as the .308 with almost identical velocities, I'd say your expectations should be just like shooting .308 Win.

The new powders that are out now, I think the round can be upped a little closer to the 30-06 velocities than the 308 can be. Depending on case maker, the 7.5x55 case comes within 2-3 grains difference of the 30-06.
Plus, having a 25.6 inch barrel helps the velocities too.

Just my opinion of course but a K31 isn't the type of action I'd try to up the velocities too much with. It's not a weak action per se but it's not the strongest either so I've always just stuck with the book and left it at that. With that steel butt plate that's plenty :grin:

TC260
I don't think I'm going to push the velocities that much more.
I would like to duplicate the GP11 ammo, and maybe get up to .308 velocities, since that is closest to actual military specs for the 7.5x55!
I'm sure the steel butt plate can be punishing if velocities are really pushed a lot.

The K-31 can stand .308 pressures easily. As far as rebarreling it to .308... that is completely foolhardy. You could buy a stack of very nice K-31s for the price of rebarreling one. It is not just simply screwing on a new barrel. It has been done but there is no advantage over the 7.5 Swiss. I would expect magazine/feed issues with a shorter round also. I don't see recoil being much of an issue with this class of cartridge, steel butt or no. K-31s are not light rifles.

Hey!
Silent Sam SPEAKS! =-O
I whole heartedly agree SS!
No need to look any further than what is already infront of you kinda thing.
I love the 7.5, and the K-31!
I love how the K-31 feels in my hands, and the weight of the rifle.
No complaints here.

Back