7mm wildcat

wayno945

Handloader
Jan 29, 2012
I have a 7mm Rem Mag M70 donor that I'm considering rechambering. I'm thinking using that 26Nosler case would give me a 7mm Dakota with a .532 rim diameter. Thoughts?

It would likely be easier to build it off of the 375Ruger case, and you'd get basically the same thing. There's a wildcat already out there in this configuration called the 7LRM (LongRangeMagnum) developed by Gunwerks (I know nothing about GW, just that they developed this 7LRM). It's a duplicate of 7mmDakota ballistics (and for all intents and purposes, basic case capacity). The 375Ruger case has the .532" casehead you're looking for, and will be far more readily available than the Nosler case, in the immediate future. You'll likely have to neck down in steps and turn the necks once you get there, but the reamer is already available. Not sure who has them, but worth looking.

The Dakota is only .011 larger in the rim. Someone with a lathe can take .011 off in about 5 seconds including clamping the case down. I would buy 100 rounds of Dakota brass and have someone spin the .011 off. They shouldn't charge you much and 100 cases would last a long time for most people. Depending on how loose your bolt face is you might not even have to turn the rims at all.

dubyam":1tyoga8p said:
It would likely be easier to build it off of the 375Ruger case, and you'd get basically the same thing. There's a wildcat already out there in this configuration called the 7LRM (LongRangeMagnum) developed by Gunwerks (I know nothing about GW, just that they developed this 7LRM). It's a duplicate of 7mmDakota ballistics (and for all intents and purposes, basic case capacity). The 375Ruger case has the .532" casehead you're looking for, and will be far more readily available than the Nosler case, in the immediate future. You'll likely have to neck down in steps and turn the necks once you get there, but the reamer is already available. Not sure who has them, but worth looking.

I was looking at the 7lrm as well. I called Gunwerks and they told me it was about 8 steps to form 7lrm from a 375 ruger case. It seems easier to me to just neck up the 26nosler case to .284. I guess it depends what SPS will be charging for the brass. Hmmm

Guy Miner":21bz9hlq said:
How will these compare with the 7mm Rem Ultra Mag?

Less speed and longer barrel life I would guess. Not sure on numbers right now. I want to build a 1,000+ yard capable rifle with this build.

You could always do a 7-300wm. It will be right with the 7lrm and 7 Dakota. The Nosler case with most likely be the equivalent of a 7STW when necked up or 50-100fps faster than the 3 I mentioned.

The 7 LRM should push 180s at 3050-3100 FPS. I plan on using 168 ABLRs and maybe the 175 in my 7 LRM build. Formed and proper headstamped brass from Gunworks runs about $1 apiece.

wayno945":11sri4cz said:
Guy Miner":11sri4cz said:
How will these compare with the 7mm Rem Ultra Mag?

Less speed and longer barrel life I would guess. Not sure on numbers right now. I want to build a 1,000+ yard capable rifle with this build.

Easy Peasy: 7mm WSM

Link: http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek064.html

Ric and I have corresponded several times since about 2006 or 2007. He really knows his stuff about long range shooting and hunting. His 7mm WSM inspired me to get my .300 WSM... Terrific accuracy at long range and tremendous hunting potential.

Regards, Guy

Back