8mm 220 Hornady

OU812

Handloader
Apr 18, 2006
Well my bullet impact test might not be a nice and neat as Bullet or JD338 but it got the job done and as I knew I would be I am pleased with my results. My impact media was 4, 1 liter pop bottles filled with water and froze plus a 2x2 box filled with loose sand for a final bullet trap. Muzzle velocity was 2960 and impact media was at a distance of 20 or so yards. I recovered the bullet 2/3 the way into the loose sand box. I washed and weighed the bullet and it came in 141.0 grains which is 64% weight retention. Not to bad if I ever have to shoot a frozen elk. :p

Bill

View attachment 220hornady 001.jpg

View attachment 220hornady 005.jpg

View attachment 220hornady 006.jpg

View attachment 220hornady 008.jpg

DrMike":tq2wc4i7 said:
Not bad at all.

I think if just water jugs were used, non frozen, the bullet performance (looks any ways) and weight retention would have come out even better.

Bill

Bill,

Nice job! That bullet looks to be a tough one.

JD338

JD338":232wufzw said:
Bill,

JD338

They are tough bullets, more so than most ever realize.

Bill

OU812":2afuxv20 said:
JD338":2afuxv20 said:
Bill,

JD338

They are tough bullets, more so than most ever realize.

Bill

They are some tough bullets Bill. That is torturous for sure! That is what a 220 grain bullet out of a magnum should look to me. With that kinda performance, I wouldn't look anywhere else for anykind of bullet. Very impressive. Hard to believe they used to be just cheap old Hornady's before they got rid of them. Wished I could go back in time and get a couple 500 of them.. Especially the way they shoot in your rifle.

I wish Hornady would put the 8mm 220 grain back in their line up as well and/or get Nosler to make a 220NP. I have no intentions or reason to looking any farther or experiment any more with this bullet. The bullet performance @ the current velocity is fast enough for any elk I will ever shoot from up close to longer ranges, accuracy is super in my rifle, brass life is very good.

Only thing I am going to get is one of Larry's collet reloading die as for what ever reason this rifle's brass needs it.

Bill

Emails to either company from multiple sources separated geographically might work to encourage these fine companies to consider production.

DrMike":2tojzauf said:
Emails to either company from multiple sources separated geographically might work to encourage these fine companies to consider production.

I have been hitting Mason Payer up alot on the 220 for the 8mm's. I know he has said they will look into it. I don't expect miracles, but Nosler seems to look after us pretty well. I know it wouldn't hurt to flood them with emails about a bullet like that. I would take either the 220 PT or AB, both would be some sleek missiles. Heck, when was the last PT released? Might be time for a new one in the line up. I might even buy a couple boxes of 1st's, just to show my support! :twisted:

OU812":2rsw2jx4 said:
DrMike":2rsw2jx4 said:
Not bad at all.

I think if just water jugs were used, non frozen, the bullet performance (looks any ways) and weight retention would have come out even better.

Bill

Not so, frozen changed the density factory of the water. I will test the 220gr you sent me in gallon water jugs giving the bullet a greater distance to travel in water that does not compress since unfrozen water will not compress and frozen water (ice) will compress and so will sand. I will also be pushing it over 3000fps just like the 220gr Sierra I tested. I should not be to much longer before I test it. The 220gr Sierra would have held up better passing through four frozen bottles and have sand to enter as a final stopping place which as I said, ice and sand will compress, water won't. The verdict is still out on the 220gr Hornady, but we will see soon. :mrgreen:

SJB358":12x3l52o said:
DrMike":12x3l52o said:
Might be time for a new one in the line up. I might even buy a couple boxes of 1st's, just to show my support! :twisted:

I know I would buy a bunch of boxes if they came out with one.

DrMike":157eiy3k said:

Email sent from sunny Alberta :)

I am aware of the match bullets, but I've dismissed using them in my 325WSM as I don't want to risk losing an elk or a moose because of loss of integrity.

DrMike":972o64vj said:
I am aware of the match bullets, but I've dismissed using them in my 325WSM as I don't want to risk losing an elk or a moose because of loss of integrity.

+ONE, I have to agree with you Mike

bullet":2xt0pr4t said:
OU812":2xt0pr4t said:
DrMike":2xt0pr4t said:
Not bad at all.

Bill

Not so, frozen changed the density factory of the water. I will test the 220gr you sent me in gallon water jugs giving the bullet a greater distance to travel in water that does not compress since unfrozen water will not compress and frozen water (ice) will compress and so will sand. I will also be pushing it over 3000fps just like the 220gr Sierra I tested. I should not be to much longer before I test it. The 220gr Sierra would have held up better passing through four frozen bottles and have sand to enter as a final stopping place which as I said, ice and sand will compress, water won't. The verdict is still out on the 220gr Hornady, but we will see soon. :mrgreen:

Of course it changes the density factor, other wise the ice in your pop would sink and not float. Your also right water won't compress like ice but it will and does displace, given room to do so or there is no means of the pressure escaping.

Mike try a sierra into the test media I used and see how it comes out? Then try the Hornady as you mentioned above. I would be curious to see both. I can tell you though through use of Hornady bullets on many game animals, deer and elk the verdict was in for me long before the test. I also feel my test media is a closer representation of real flesh and tissue that my bullets will encounter which also compresses like ice. Ballastic gel compresses so how does that compare to water?

Real life use trumps shooting ice or water IMO.

Bill

bullet":1gmvd9ko said:
SJB358":1gmvd9ko said:
DrMike":1gmvd9ko said:
Might be time for a new one in the line up. I might even buy a couple boxes of 1st's, just to show my support! :twisted:

I know I would buy a bunch of boxes if they came out with one.

Me too :grin: :grin:

Nosler, are you listening? Put me down for about ten boxes of the 220 grain Partitions in .323. :grin:

I just wrote a long email letter to Mason concerning the Partition. In short my reason for the 220gr Partition and not the AccuBond as their first run.

Mason, I know that you all get a lot of request for specific bullets in certain calibers that you have not manufactured as of yet or might never manufacture. I just recently acquired an 8mm Remington Magnum and I am able with below max loads to drive a 220gr Sierra SBT at 3018fps on the average using IMR7828. I was also able to get these velocities with RL-25, but it was not as accurate as IMR7828. I don't have to tell you that any cartridge that can drive a 220gr bullet over 3000fps is a very serious big game load as well as a very good long range load retaining 2,000 pounds of energy out to 597yds.

Now all of this said, the 220gr Sierra is not for up close work at these velocities and therefore inhibits it from being a good all around load for the 8mm Remington Magnum. I will be doing some serious work and hunting with this cartridge over the next two years or so, taking it on hunts with me. I believe that even the 325WSM would do very well for large to dangerous big game if there was a 220gr bullet that is more accurate than the Swift A-Frame and better BC like the Partition or AccuBond. I know that a Partition or AccuBond would really take my 8mm Remington Magnum to another level especially allowing it to be an all around bullet for up close work on large game as well as a long range bullet due to BC retaining more energy than any 200gr bullet.

My experience hunting dangerous game causes me to think that the 220gr Partition would be the best due to its none bonded front which allows for immediate dynamic shock as well as ejecting many projectiles into and just beyond the immediate impact area on dangerous game having the ability to shut down their nervous system. This would be especially true concerning charging dangerous game or game in close proximity of the hunter. Then follows the back half of the Partition that breaks down the skeletal structure creating a cavitating wound channel while penetrating deep or even exiting leaving as always and excellent blood trail. At these velocities the Partition would be and optimum terminal bullet and also an all around performer, not only for the 8mm Remington Magnum (by the way I believe will come back some) but also the 325WSM as well. The AccuBond is fine but I would opt for the Partition as a serious killer and penetrating bullet for big game.

I hope you all would consider a run on a 220gr Partition in 8mm .323. Yours Truly, Mike Price :)

Back