Ain't they cute? Lol

BigBoreDan

Beginner
May 16, 2010
Just loaded up some the 222 Remington with some 40gr. Nosler BT Lead Free bullets I had got as a Christmas present...

Shot some test loads before settling on a mid level load of RL 10x

4B6E97A8-DD9A-452F-B0ED-C1064F84C8EF-4944-0000032283B4825D_zps6e2ceb92.jpg

It was really a therapeutic experience...

The rifle...a simple Remington Model 700 ADL belonged to my late father. A case failure ruined the original bolt in the rifle and it sat in the safe in inoperable condition for about 20years. About a year after he passed away I was talking to a buddy of mine in South Carolina and mentioned the rifle and what had happened. He is friends with Bob Hart of Hart Rifles and be told me to ship him the gun and he would see what could be done. So across the country it went and came back with a new bolt and a new lease on life. My son and reloaded these and after a quick okie bore sighting and some chronograph work the Triple Deuce lives again :)

Hopefully this weekend I will get to shoot some more at 100 and 200 yards and some pretty little groups to post pictures of...regardless this project has put a smile on my face and somewhere I know my Dad is smiling too.

We all need help...period!

I thought I was going to look at a litter of puppies! :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sorry FOTIS...I normally load and shoot a lot bigger rounds. 45-70 444 Marlin 300 Weatherby 340 Weatherby 350 Remington Magnum...heck even the 257 Weatherby dwarfs these. So when I looked at the diminutive 222 cute came to mind lol :)

That is great! Getting the old rifle back in action is just great. BTW, a buddy of mine overloaded his 6.5-308 (long before it was introduced in factory form as the .260 Rem) and Hart fixed it for him as well. They do good work back there at Hart.

I will be surprised if those loads of yours don't shoot well. Enjoy!

Guy

Good job, getting that rifle going! Those 40 grain BTLFs are explosive little suckers, lots of splatter. :)

Got a friend who has his grandpa's old 722 chambered in .222 stuck way back in his safe, and I've been leaning on him to get it in shape. I even bought dies for it...

Looking forward to your range report!

BBD,

Cool story, glad you got her back on track.
Looking forward to your range report.

JD338

Thanks guys its always shot well...my dad shot several deer with it when it was all he had 55gr. Sierras and Noslers and precision shooting got it done.

I have plenty of rifles for the bigger stuff but the gun is still lots of fun to shoot and it will be a good training tool for my younger sons

Love the 222 Rem! Glad your getting some time with it. I'd love to have one someday!

Great looking ammo!

Scotty it's a great little round and rifle. Just a simple Model 700 ADL with a sporter barrel but it shoots lights out with a variety of bullets weights and powders. It used to have a fixed 4 power on it but the Leupold 3-9x40mm works better for me when trying to see those tiny holes in the target lol!!!

Dan, I like the 222 Rem and the 222 Rem Mag a bunch. One of the feller's on here snagged a 222 Rem in a Sako. Just a BEAUTIFUL little rifle.. My family has a few of them, but I don't own a one. Always wanted one, since they work just about perfect for coyotes out to 300 and they are excellent for new shooters.. Good luck with yours and post up some pictures of it. It is a slick little case.

I have to say I have also wanted a 222 since I was a young lad, it`s a super cool round. That`s some great looking ammo Dan, sounds like the old gun is a real tackdriver like most 222`s, very nice.

I have been spying a CZ 527 in the 222 rem in the LGS. Been there for a year. Always winks at me when I walk in.

FOTIS":2p8y42xb said:
I have been spying a CZ 527 in the 222 rem in the LGS. Been there for a year. Always winks at me when I walk in.

The CZ's haunt me a little too Fotis..

DrMike":2ysn51bq said:
Man, there are a lot of spooks in the LGS. :shock:

Without a doubt fella's. There are certain cartridges that really make me looney. The 222 Rem is one of them..

Back