And yet another 45 Super

reflex264

Handloader
Jun 13, 2007
Well to dive in deeper and work with the lead free bullets I decided to just set up another gun. A couple of reasons for this but the main one is reliability.
The 150 grain Cutting edge bullet is as long as most 230 grain cup and core bullets. In order to get the same performance that I see from the 230 grains the bullets have to be driven faster. With the pressure ceiling of 28,000 PSI for the 45 Super the guns have to be comped of run one of the super rare "Heavies" slide. Since there are only about 150 of the slide out there and I looked for several years to find the one I own the only reall answer is a comp. The delays the unlocking of the gun for a few miliseconds till the pressure drops below its peak. This in conjunction with a 22 lbs spring normally runs just fine. In the case of the lead free buillets physics through a monkey wrench into the mix. I ended up up using a threaded barrel with a tanker break until the correct break becomes availible once again. Using this break with the light bullet means the 22 lbs spring is too heavy. To solve this the lead free gun is running a 20 lbs spring with the break and is running just fine. I wi;; post more as this developes but at the moment it is very promising. Here is the gun with the ugly break.
90I2MxY.jpeg

The only 45 Super I have seen was based on a 1911 slide and frame and didn't have a break. the owner used it for making Major to shoot steel targets which I thought was over kill since you could use a standard .45 ACP to get the job done.
A .45 Super for handgun hunting could be very interesting, especially hunt from a tree stand at bow hunting distances.

The only 45 Super I have seen was based on a 1911 slide and frame and didn't have a break. the owner used it for making Major to shoot steel targets which I thought was over kill since you could use a standard .45 ACP to get the job done.
A .45 Super for handgun hunting could be very interesting, especially hunt from a tree stand at bow hunting distances.
I use it kind of like bow hunting. I have killed several deer with .45 Supers. It just works.
LZUAuma.jpeg

I don't know about King but I have a lot of fun doing it and it keeps me from having to keep up with extra money! LOL

Back