Another Accubond Question 140gr 7mm

Beginner
Sep 18, 2006
Hi,

First off it's great to be able to do this rather than phone from the UK where toll free isn't exactly free.

I'm a confirmed Ballistic tip fan shooting 90gr 6mm @3,200fps, 100gr 6.5 @3,000fps all on UK roe and fallow which go no larger than a white tail and which are no more than 20 miles away from home with generous seasons.

Now I have aquired some ground with reds - I will shortly be heading down to hunt red stag in the rut. Shots will range from 30yards frontal on what could be a 350lb animal to a 300yard broadside on a open country on what could be as light as a 200lb animal.

I have obtained superlative accuracy with the 140gr AccuBond out of my 7x57 with a MV of 2,800fps. Time was I wouldn't have even considered asking but it's a long way away and shot opportunities will be rare. Would you be confident with this combination on a 350lb animal quartering on at short range?

BTW I am not a retained weight fan having had bad experiences with norma oryx and latterly hornady interbond which shed very little weight indeed but whose mushrooms were overexpanded with subsequently poor expansion. My concern is purely that the bullet make it past a substantial shoulder to the vitals - last thing at night an exit would be good too!

Regards to Mike Harris

Welcome to the Nosler board.
No worries, the 140 gr AB starting out at 2800 fps will give you excellent performance on 350 lb game.

JD338

I may be a bit off-base here, but I don't think so. The AB should be great at that velocity in that situation. Reviewing Nosler's information posted elsewhere on this board, the minimum impact velocity for reliable expansion is 1600fps, just as with the BT. The difference lies in the AB's ability to withstand the impact velocity a tad higher than the BT (my supposition based on what is out there in print and on others' experiences). If you are really worried, a Partition will get it done, but then you lose a little in long range trajectory due to the lower BC. That said, shot placement is the issue with most bullets, and the AB is no different. I personally don't take low percentage shots (see the complaints about the AB's elsewhere on this board) but I know people who do. I believe, based on what I can read and what my friends have experienced, that the AB will do what you want, and that's worth what you're paying to read it, maybe more...

I also have used 140s from a 7MM Mag. for several years on the pronghorns of Wyo. and eastern Montana. Never had a problem. I got complete passthru on all shots. That bullet even works fine from the .280 Remington.

Back