Anticipating Case Head Separation

CMBTshooter

Handloader
Jun 8, 2011
Is there a way to measure case stretch to prevent case head separation? I have 11x fired Lapua brass that has been full length resized except for the last loading. How do you guys know when to ditch your brass and start with a new batch?

Easiest way is the bent paperclip method. Get a paperclip or stiff piece of wire and make a small 90deg bend at the end, with just a sixteenth or maybe an eighth of an inch turned into the bend. Slip that in the case and ride it down the case wall. If there's a groove developing you'll feel it. You can also look with a fiber optic light inside the case, but it helps to know what you're looking for. Also, in many instances you'll see a very bright ring or halo around the case where it's about to separate.

Anything small enough to fit into the neck to feel the groove developing will work fine.

I noticed when doing the paperclip trick that the inside of the case was not smooth like newer brass. If I felt that, I tossed them.

Ok. They were a little rough so I tossed them. I definitely got my money's worth with that brass.

dubyam":6wbwma6f said:
Easiest way is the bent paperclip method. Get a paperclip or stiff piece of wire and make a small 90deg bend at the end, with just a sixteenth or maybe an eighth of an inch turned into the bend. Slip that in the case and ride it down the case wall. If there's a groove developing you'll feel it. You can also look with a fiber optic light inside the case, but it helps to know what you're looking for. Also, in many instances you'll see a very bright ring or halo around the case where it's about to separate.

Good summation. Dub is spot on.

Not being as smooth as new brass is not what you are feeling for. Feel for an indentation or groove. Probably not all the way around the case when you first detect them. Take one of the pieces of brass that you tossed and cut it off in front of the web and look at the inside. You need to see one and then feel it so you will know in the future when to toss them.Rick.

Rick's idea is a good one.

I've reloaded Lapua cases way more then 10x for my 308 win and never had a failure. Moderate loads and proper case resizing can greatly increase case life. I've heard that some of the BR shooters use cases more than 20x.

Why toss good cases merely because they've seen 10 reloads?

Dubyam's method is a really easy and good one.

If there is a case with a thin wall, the paperclip will catch on the developing thin spot. I sharpened the bend down end to make it easier to catch the thin spot.

Horsethief":3vro3s27 said:
I sharpened the bend down end to make it easier to catch the thin spot.

I'm sharpening my paperclip's bent end tonight. This is a great idea. Never too late to learn a new trick.

Back