Anybody hunting Wolves?

BC residents are permitted two wolves without tags. Generally, we are opportunistic; when we see wolves, we endeavour to drop them. However, they are wily critters. Some of us will focus on them throughout the winter months; it keeps them wary of humans.

I wished I was going to be hunting wolves somewhere this year. Makes me wish I was going to be hunting my old stomping area in Idaho. I know that place could use alot of thinning. Scotty

I've seen a lot of tracks this year so far but nothing standing in them. I'll probably try calling later in the year when my seasons are over.

We hunted for 9 days total and 4 of them in a spot I've seen wolves in a few times and saw no wolves or tracks. I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad about it. We saw more deer and elk in the areas then I have in the past 10 years. Unfortunately they are all still there. I think they've had too much practice at avoiding predators.
Greg

I'd love to have a big ol' wolf pelt hanging on the wall... Perhaps a road trip to Idaho or Montana and for a wolf hunt would be worthwhile.

Thought I heard something on the news yesterday about the pro-wolf faction requesting an emergency injunction to stop wolf hunting again this year. Ugh.

I hunted in the Rough Creek area out of Stanley. I have seen packs of wolves twice while hunting there but not this time. One of the locals said he saw them there during the archery hunt.
Greg

greg

You might try Bruce Meadows, and the Meadows around Cape Horn GS. East of Stanely also had a lot of them. General elk opened this weekend in 36 (as you probably know)so they may get a little skittish for a while. That huge meadow complex on the left from the highway into Grandjean always seemed to have a few also. Get a couple for me. !!

Too Tall":1c4syjma said:
Anybody got any plans to hunt wolves? They open in a week or so for rifle in Montana.

Yup, leaving this afternoon with daughter for a weekend wolf hunt. Will be using camo, calls, a 223VS and a 7RM, to use on large open areas on the ranch. Daughter wants the Kimber 45 too..., though I'm not expecting the Alamo... :wink:

Have a tag in my pocket and we saw wolf tracks in Kootenai Creek near St. Mary's peak so maybe I'll get lucky twice! (goat) I'll have to remember to pack my dying rabbit call.

Mr. Griz does like to come in on rabbit calls. However, I've called in a few wolves with dying rabbit calls.

Back