Best .30-06 elk bullet

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
Gents

I just can't stop thinking about those darn elk. And then I start thinking about the best bullets for those elk, and then I go run 6 miles and think more about bullets and elk. Could be all the elk I've gotten to eat this year.

What do you think is the best bullet for elk out of a .30-06? I'm talking big bull elk, because if it will kill a 7 x 8 (in my dreams) it will also kill a cow.

Specifically what do you think of 165 vs 180, AccuBond vs Partition vs Gameking vs E-Tip, etc.? How important is sectional density? Does a 180 really work more reliably? Is a bonded bullet really better than cup/core?

The cow elk I shot last year was with a 180 AccuBond. She didn't fall down dead, but she was "jogging" a little at the time, so bullet placement wasn't perfect. I got lungs, and she laid down about 40 yds away, and I had to shoot her again.

Also, I have never taken a shoulder shot--always aim directly behind the leg. Why would you waste the meat on the shoulder by intentionally putting a bullet there? Actually not a rhetorical question--any of you have opinions on why you would shoot an animal in the shoulder?

Also, I'm not a big fan of Barnes bullets. I have to play around a lot to get good groups, and then I have to spend more time getting copper out of the barrel. Seems like it's not worth it to me.

Thanks gents.
Joel

Great question and something we all bouncing around in our heads. Everyone has their opinions and we know what they can be worth sometimes... :roll: .

The do-it-all 30-06 for BIG bulls should have the heaviest, stoutest bullet your rifle will shoot well. My choice for the 06' for big bulls would be the 180 grain Partition or Swift A-frame.

I'm with you on the shoulder shot placement. I have always been a "behind the front leg" shooter if there is a broadside or quartering shot opportunity. I did shoot a 5X5 bull through the shoulders because of the need to make sure he didn't make it down into a steep drainage that would not have been fun to get him out of.

I am not too much different in my choices either. A good premium 165 or 180 Nosler Partition has never let me down. The 180 Partition is my first choice because it shoots better than the AccuBond in that bullet weight while in 165 either the PT or AB shoot about the same. Sierra Gamekings can be and good elk bullet in a 30-06 but they do not penetrate as well as any of the above mentioned bullets.

A 30-06 in my experience has never slapped an elk down but neither has any 338 shot elk that I have seen. While I have seen plenty of down right there one shot kills with a variety of guns and loads, each animal will react a bit differently when shot regardless of the caliber or bullet used. So because your cow ran 40 yards or so and keeled over is no cause for alarm, elk being the way they are sometimes take a while to realize they are dead. The fact that you had elk meat in the freezer is testimony that the bullet did its job.

Still I do understand where you are coming from in that no one likes to track wounded animals and big bulls can stretch that 40 yards into 400 or even a mile or two if they are feeling up to it. My policy is and always has been, shoot til they're down. Sometimes elk will drop right there with one bullet, sometimes it takes two or three. I have killed a few elk in my time and as long as you're using a bullet that performs well on the game you intend to use it for and you're making good shots, it will not let you down. Just like us humans though, sometimes you meet an elk thats just a little tougher than the rest.

So don't despair, you're well armed. But I think that just like the rest of us gunnies, you will probably think about this more often than is truly necessary. But that's what we do. :wink:
Good Luck this fall! I have no doubt that you will be successful.

I am custom reloading for my hunting camp this year. One rifle happens to be a Savage 30-06. After a lot of research, ponder and testimony, I selected the 165 Sierra GK. Some say premium bullets are better. I honestly cannot attest other than I got a lot of game without them as well.

The posts above are good. No matter how great a perfect shot from a perfect rifle and perfect bullet, the desire to live is bred in these Elk and some will try to defy that perfect combination.

Using 55gr of IMR 4350, Fed 210 Primers, Winchester brass, I have it going down the pipe at 2835 at the muzzle and shooting inside 1" at 200.

FWIW - I tried using H4350 but could not get consistent touching groups at 100 yards and ES was to large at over 57.

I have had the privlage of hunting elk and other North American big game with the same bullett and load.

I use a 165 nosler Partition out to 400 yds. Although I do not prefer to shoot that distance the MT Goat was across the open basin and that is what I had.
yes The Partition got the job done.

I am shootiong it out a stcok remming 700 with a composit stock. It is a sub moa rifel off a rest at 100yds.

The only thing to add is that one should exoeriment with loads and bullets until yo have a comnbination that produces a mimimum od 1 MOA at 100 yds

Joel, your shot last year is why I prefer the 180 BT in the 30.06. It open up a little faster, and would of caught a little more of those lungs, but still had more then enough mass for good penetration. Since they are cheaper then the AB's and partitions, you can also practice more, which migh help with that placement issue.

Joel,

I would add my vote for the 180 Partition. I think in your -06 it will have the perfect combination of fast expansion/frangibility from the front core to provide max tissue damage on a double lung shot without much bone contact, but still have the SD and the weight retention with the rear protected core to get you through those potential quartering towards you shots where that pesky (and large) shoulder bone gets in the way. I have confidence that it would get the job done from any reasonable angle/range.

atm

I am with the others here, I think the 180gr PT is just right for the 30-06. With good loads, 2700-2800 shouldn't be too much of an issue for any good 30-06. That allow some great trajectory and I would probably bet the farm (if I had one) that the bullet would do its job really well and probably get close to full on penetration. Just an unbeatable combo. For me, I would probably experiment just a little with the 200gr bullets as well. With todays powders, you can run that bullet into the high 2600's maybe 2700's and have a great BC'ed bullet with alot of SD that will truly penetrate the largest of elk and still carry very well out to 400.

I think your elk running is more the norm than the exception, the only elk I have planted in place was with the 35 Whelen with a 225gr TSX and he didn't fall straight down, but stood there and slumped over. I think knocking elk of their feet would require more rifle than I am willing to carry.

As to shoulder or behind the leg shots, it all depends on circumstances. Either shot is very effective when placed right. Scotty

I think JD338 hit it on the head w/ the 180 NPT, but the 165 gr version of that bullet would do nicely, too, but any 165 or heavier hunting bullet will do nicely for you. There is an extremely experienced elk guide and hunter on another site who swears by the 165 gr interlock flat base and 168 gr NBT for elk through his .308s & '06s. The beauty of those cartridges is that they treat the projectile gently when compared to a magnum, not splattering the bullet flat on the side of the animal so you have better penetration. It is speed that creates the necessity for a premium/ubber premium bullet.

I'm a "behind the shoulder" shooter too, although I have had a couple of instances where I was hunting particularly thick cover that I didn't want to have to search through. That shoulder shot drops 'em dead right there, and in those instances that can mean the difference between a animal minus one shoulder and no animal at all.

Next fall I'll likely be running 165 gr NPTs through my mountain weight '06 and 215 gr Game Kings through my 338-06 for elk. Putting those bullets where they belong the first time is more important is the most important consideration.

Good luck and be sure to document your results so we can all hear about it!

I just can't stop thinking about those darn elk.

Yeah, they can be addictive, that way. I won't say anything negative about the 180 grain, either Partition or AccuBond; either will work very well. I wouldn't be terribly uneasy with a 165 grain Partition or a 168 grain E-Tip in my '06, however. I wouldn't be terribly uncomfortable using a Ballistic Tip from my '06, though I generally prefer a premium bullet for those times when the shot is less than perfect and it is necessary to punch through bone. While bullet choice should not be discounted, shot placement is far more important than bullet selection. The amount of meat that will be blood shot from a shoulder shot is negligible when compared to the effort to track and recover an animal that is able to slip away into dense bush.

Joel I used 165 gr. Partitions in my 30-06 at just a little over 2900 fps chronographed in my #1B and they worked great on several elk. I am now loading the AccuBond but have not shot an elk with that bullet myself and have only seen the effects of one elk my buddy shot with his 300 WSM and 180 AccuBond. I really like the 165 weight in the 30-06 and have never felt like it did not penetrate deep enough. My wife's 25-06 has killed one elk for me with a 120 gr. Partition, and my 6mm with a 100 gr. Partition has taken one as well. I am a behind the shoulder guy, but on the elk with the 6mm it was a spike bull at only about 30 yards in heavy timber on a really steep slope. I did not want him going anyplace and I've seen neck and head shots go wrong so I put it right in the center of his right shoulder and the 6mm bullet exited the left side just in front of his shoulder. He staggered about 4 steps and I put one more in at the base of his ear and he dropped. My son's 6mm with the 90 gr. E-Tip sure hammered his cow last year and I've been awfully impressed by the E-Tip. I might have to try them in my son's 300 WSM. My choice would be this.

165 gr. Partition, AccuBond, or E-Tip. Which one shot the best is what I would use.

Second: 180 gr. Partition, AccuBond, or E-Tip. Which one shot the best is what I would use. These are not listed in any particular order either for model of bullet except I would load the 165 grain bullets first to try. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

I have only killed one of my elk with a .30-06 and it was a 180 gr Failsafe that did not expand very well. I would use a 180 gr or 200 gr Partition myself.

Joel

I have killed several elk using an 06 with the 180 grain Partition which I begain using in the very early 6o"s. In 1970 I changed rifles but am still using the 180 gr Partition for both deer and elk. My dad used the 180 gr Partition for elk starting in 59 or 60 and was still using them when he died in 04. There may be something out there that is better but I bet it will be more expensive. If your 06 doesn't like the PT try the AccuBond, my second choice but everyone here also likes them. :grin: :grin:

I have never personally shot the 06 but have been with many that have. I would stick with the 180 Partition or the AB.
I have shot a half a dozen elk over the last 10 years and have used my 270 win and 130 gr either Partition or AB and have had great success. We are drawn again this year for skin head elk and if my 35 whelen is not ready I will be shoot my 270 win for these ones as well. On elk shot placement is very important as they are as tough as nails :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

The AccuBond was designed to duplicate the terminal performance of the Partition, improve the ballistics performance and decrease manufacturing cost. It has proven to do that.

Your 180gr NAB performed well. A jogging elk that dropped after 40 yds from a lung shot is typical if not excellent performance. Switching to the NP will not provide you with any significant performance advantage unless it shoots tighter from your rifle. The NP has performed admirably for 30+ years and should have the enviable reputation it carries.

I shoot both NAB and NP and would recommend either in this case.

I only take the high shoulder shot when any movement from the animal will significantly increase the chance of losing the animal or the effort involved in collecting it. I prefer to eat shoulders rather than make them into dogfood.

CatskillCrawler":2bgw096h said:
The AccuBond was designed to duplicate the terminal performance of the Partition, improve the ballistics performance and decrease manufacturing cost. It has proven to do that.

CC is just about right on with that. I still like the PT a big more, but realistically, everything I have seen places the AB just about on the same playing field for performance. They really are a great bullet and the price of them just cannot be beat. Scotty

I've laid out a few Elk with the 06 using 180 grain pro hunters. Their frontal area is a little different (heavier) than the gamekings but after taking many animals with standard cup and core bullets my feeling is as long as you don't try to push the bullet to the speed of light (2600-2900FPS) they work very well and will bring you home the bacon. With my .338RUM I've used a variety of bullets including the 225 grain pro hunter from Sierra and all bullets dropped Elk VERY quickly.

Thanks gents. I already have some 180 grain ABs, but it sounds like I should compare their groups to some 180 grain PTs.

I can only get the ABs to group into about 0.75 inches (I can get better with the competitions). But as some of you may remember, I only have a .30-06, and the wife still isn't too keen on me getting any other rifles. However, there are no rules against blueprinting / getting Bartlein barrels, which I am doing after this year's rifle season. We'll see how the shoot after that work. I'll keep you posted.

Back