Best use of a Rem700 SA?

jason miller

Handloader
Sep 4, 2012
I always thought a 7-08 on a Remington 700 short action in a light stock would be about the ultimate general purpose(and affordable) hunting rifle. 120-160 grain bullets for anything from coyotes to elk. But will all the rage around the 6.5's these days, and especially the Creedmoor, I'm wondering if there might be a new "ultimate short action general purpose" setup.

6.5 Creed:
129 Interbond with a .518 BC or 129 LRAB with .553 BC at over 3,000 fps with the right load, fits in a standard factory mag box
130-147 match bullets for fun on long range steel

7-08, which could really use a Wyatt's box or DBM
140 AccuBond with lower, but still acceptable .417 or so BC at 2850-2950 fps
150 LRAB with .576 BC at 2800ish fps
168 LRAB with .649 BC(with enough twist) at 2750 or so via RL17
162 ELD at same 2750ish for plinking on steel

How does the Nosler forum vote?

Do not think you could go wrong with either choice; they are both great choices!

Guess it really depends on your hunting desires for this rifle.

If your upper end big game is deer, black bears, caribou and antelope, then the 6.5 will be fine.

If your upper end includes moose and elk, then the 7mm-08 would be better, just because of the heavier bullet weights. Hard to beat the 160 A-Frame and Partition.

But in the end, will you regret not building your 7mm-08 if you build the 6.5? Since you've wanted one for so long.

I would vote for the 7mm-08. I have had a little Ruger with a 20" barrel and it shot 120gr Ballistic Tips up to 160gr PT very well.

That said I'm with Blkram, don't think you could go wrong with either.

Agree with above, if deer or bear are your top end, 6.5 might be a better pick. And you don't need to go with the souped up heavies to have a good efficient bullet for dinging steel. The Nosler 123gr CC will get it done on a budget.

Both are efficient rounds with lots of bullet options and factory brass available. Probably edge goes to the 6.5 in terms of match bullets of different weights and lower cost.

To really muddy the waters, have you considered 6.5x284 or .284win?

Both are great, in the 6.5 you could go anywhere from 100-160 gr bullets and in the 7mm-08 120-175 gr pretty easily. That's a tough choice and there is no wrong answer, I would lean a bit towards the 6.5 since it will fit the action a bit better.

The only problem that I have experienced with 7mm calibers is many of the bullets that are over 150 grs are designed for higher impact velocity for the 7mm Mag and don't expand as well on thin skin game at lower velocity. In the 6.5 cal. I have never experienced this problem. It seems that those pencil long bullets just keep on expanding and plowing through game even at relative low velocity. I was a 6.5 shooter before the 6.5 was cool. Hay that would make a good country song.

6.5 CM isn't a bad way to fly since you wouldn't have to change anything really to get it up and shooting.

Both have awesome brass available and will do the same thing with just about the same range of bullets.

I've now done a fair bit of hunting and shooting with both on game up to caribou.

For a general purpose hunting rifle, there's just not much to pick from between them and my results in the field have been indistinguishable from each other. Both had performed really well in light rifles with soft recoil and both punch above their weight class IMHO.

To really get to a point where there's a genuine difference between the two, you've left "General Purpose" far behind in the rear view. At extreme ranges, the 6.5 will have the advantage due to B.C. and once you get to the size of game that you'll notice the added diameter of the 7-08 you'll be at the ragged edge of what either cartridge will do.

For shooting deer, caribou, sheep, black bear, etc.- both are right at home shooting 130-140gr bullets at "normal" ranges. If there's an advantage to be had- 6.5 bullets are made to expand at Creedmoor/Swede speeds and most 7mm bullets tend to be a bit tougher for the popular 7 mags.
That's hardly significant since careful bullet selection can rectify any issue with that.

It's a coin toss, with two winners and no losers.

If you're thinking heavier 7mm bullets, also consider twist rate. For >150 grains you might go 1:9.5 to 1:9 as an option if you're building this from scratch.

The only experience I've had with a 6.5 anything was with the 6.5x54 MS. The 140 gr. Norma was not very accurate and the 160 gr. norma was too slow, more like a skinny 30-30 but they did do a number on deer. So low life stole it from my truck in Elko Nevada. :cry: :x :x :x

I haven't mess with a 7-08 at all but have loaded the 7x57 to 7-08 velocity levels. Was working up a nice elk load for it with the 150 gr. Nosler and Re17. Nice groups at 2700 FPS and probably could have gone higher but common sense got the better of me. :shock: I was working a bit with the 160 gr. Grand Slam (old two core style) but the rifle didn't like it at all. I didn't have time to make up a batch of loads for the hunt so just went with old faithful, my .35 Whelen. Worked just fine on a fat juicy cow elk. (y)
Paul B.

I'm not actually building anything right now, but if I were, I'd go 1:8" for either cartridge.

I guess the consensus, then, is that there is really are two contenders now for "best use of a Remington short action." I'm still leaning towards the Creedmoor having taken the title, though. There are an awful lot of new bullets for the 6.5's, and RL26 looks to be a good match for the Creed which gives it quite a boost with anything 129 grains or heavier. Although I haven't seen any Quickload runs for the 7-08 with RL26, I doubt that it would be quite as good of a fit.

I'll need a new barrel for my little .243 one day. Hard to say what it'll end up being chambered for...

I had a Mod 700 SA set up one time, on purpose, in 6.5/284 to just shoot the 120-125gr bullets. It was one deer/exotics/antelope killing round! I felt it was a faster killer than the .260 but it can be hard to get that cartridge to feed right. The 6.5 Creedmoor will work and with some bolt face work, so will the 6.5 Rem Mag.

jason miller":2bz3jb2x said:
I'm not actually building anything right now, but if I were, I'd go 1:8" for either cartridge.

I guess the consensus, then, is that there is really are two contenders now for "best use of a Remington short action." I'm still leaning towards the Creedmoor having taken the title, though. There are an awful lot of new bullets for the 6.5's, and RL26 looks to be a good match for the Creed which gives it quite a boost with anything 129 grains or heavier. Although I haven't seen any Quickload runs for the 7-08 with RL26, I doubt that it would be quite as good of a fit.

I'll need a new barrel for my little .243 one day. Hard to say what it'll end up being chambered for...

I think 26 would be too case filling for less than 140’s. I’d bet a box of Partitions 17 would crank with the 129/130 bullets.

Either or really. Both are crazy good cartridges but the 6.5 CM isn’t hard to like with that Alpha brass. It isn’t a barn burner but it is gentle.

Oh, 8 twist or BUST! Spin those suckers!

You could always use that 700 action as a small boat anchor or something else useful. Oh, I’m just messing with you. I’ve got an ol’ 721 that I really like. Anyway, a fast twist 243 is awful nice shooting some of the heavy Sierra bullets or DTAC stuff. It’s nice being able to see/spot your shot sometimes.
V/R,
Joe

Back