Boat tail VS flat base....is one generally more accurate

Thats sweet Charlie.Nicely done. I have never shot a group that good in my 06 with any bullet.

Dan, In the last 10 years I have loaded Accubonds almost exclusively and my loads are definitely more accurate :). Before this I still shot good quality as Partitions were my bullet of choice but I was happy with 1" or little better MOA. Now I believe that I have progressed as a handloader and with equipment & components being what they are I believe my rifles are far more accurate. It would be interesting to see how I would do personally with Partitions using the same techniques I do today.
I have been loading the partitions since the 60's and believe that while rifles have improved, I also believe the Partition of the day is a more accurate and better made bullet than those of the past. I have never tried for tiny groups with them as they were always to expensive for development. I used Sierra BT or another quality bullet for practice, as I still do. Its amazing what the 168 Custom Comp will do in my 308.

Two areas of thought to come from on this topic, and they relate to what the intended purpose of the bullet is.

Most 100 - 300 yard benchrest shooters use light flatbase bullets with slow twist barrels. If they didn't shoot better I doubt the guys would be using them. Long range benchrest/F-class shooters (600 yards +) are using long, heavy boat tail bullets with fast twist barrels. Obviously the higher BC kicks in once you get past the 300 yard mark. With that being said, if you are doing most of your hunting at less than 300 yards, it probably won't matter which bullet choice you make. Your barrel will tell you what it likes. My bullet choice will always be made on what the application is.

Bill these are just test targets to be sure that the rifle is still sighted in and is still shooting decent groups. I shoot BT's a lot more now because they are very accurate and a lot cheaper than Partitions.

I as a abroad shooter and hunter more than 15 years and very very restrict in getting I don't know bullets , primers , powders and so on, I read all 47 topics just couple of minutes ago now and I can say that for short ranges it is better to use FB's of all and as most of dear above shooters wrote below 300 yards , but as it wanna start more long ranges BT's start to serve... I also can say and confirm this fact that float barrel may increase the accuracy, this is what I can found in my range tests here for 270win. 130gr. Sierra Pro hunter .
I didn't reach to a tight group until I changed my stock and made it float and shot 3 in 0.05 inch in 100Meters.
While now with Nosler AB 130gr. can not reach that in 100Meters ... but for 300Meters it done great for me.
Here also we had ten's of times arguing about FB And BT and still have , no one knows which one is the best...
Regards
Rami

I used to own a model 700 mountain rifle in 30/06 that would not shoot any boat tail bullet! No problems with flat base bullets though. I spent countless hours at the range attemting to get it to shoot a boat tail though!

Back