borrowed a stinkin' 308 to shoot a team sniper comp.

usmc 89

Handloader
Jun 10, 2011
I got into a 308/300 win only team sniper comp up in Ennis mt. Had a chance to shoot against some military teams in a steel comp environment and thanks to a good friend was able to get a hold of a nice 308. Surgeon 591, Bartlein barrel accuracy international ax chassis and my premier and spuhr mount. Gun shoots well with the 168 hybrids at 2680 fps. Should be a fun weekend I will keep you posted on results.

I hate .308 ! You can never tell were the next rounds go cause
there's only one hole in the paper !!! :lol:

Ha. You need to shoot more than one shot then. No doubt they're accurate, just need a bit more wind wizardry than I posses.

That sounds like a great opportunity, Jeff. I may need to get serious about a .308, yet. I almost built one on my last build, but ended up with a 358 Norma Magnum, instead. :grin:

Yeah, I can see the jump from .308 to .358 Norma being logical...

BK":15mygt7l said:
Yeah, I can see the jump from .308 to .358 Norma being logical...

There is a story in this, Kurt.

Jeff, I have no doubt you will do well, pushing the boundaries of experience. I need to look into competition.

Flipped a coin and the 6.5X68S and 358 Norma Mag beat out the .308 and .25-06. Flipped the next coin, and the 358 Norma Mag beat out the 6.5X68S. Now I have to wait for the .308 and the 6.5X68S for a later build. Makes perfect sense.

The match went well, new partner with invalid dope aside. Great course of fire with several different scenarios. We actually got to shoot at targets from a uni-mog while driving down the road, Quite humbling but fun. Elevation was 7000 feet with altitude density hovering around 9000. The 308 I borrowed shot extremely well scoring several first round hits and cleaning a dualing tree with 4" targets at 300 yards. I have renewed my respect for the 308 and 168 berger hybrids. There was a stage that required you to lay your gun on its side so the elevation turret was on top, that was an eye opener, a mil high and four mils right is what it took to hit steel at 150 yards. There was also a milling station where you had to mil your targets to get the yardage, I had left my mil-dot master at the house "of course" and had do to some math. We also had a chance to shoot some long range high angle 30 degree 600 yard targets. There was also a 2.5 mile hike/run involved with full gear, we finished in 35 minutes and I can still feel it, cardiovascular is not where I thought it was. All in all a great match with a great bunch of guys. We finished second overall and won a pair of mystery ranch packs. I will be selling off the four packs I have now, mystery ranch knows what they are doing when it comes to building a pack.

Congrats on a great finish!

Match seems like a lot of fun. Been a long time since I shot a match anything like that.

Guy

Jeff, that sounds like a great challenge that tested the shooter and his gear. Congratulations on a good finish.

Jeff it sounds like everyone had a great time. Thank you for the post it was a interesting read :)!

Blessings,
Dan

Sounds like ya had fun Jeff, sounds like the guys had some tricks up their sleeves! Knowing you I am not surprised ya did good as you young guys are made for that stuff ! I bet Scotty could keep up with ya if y'all were having a good day :mrgreen: course of fire sounds different than most but I suppose change is good but I would be hosed on the running portion as I have hard enough time walking ! Prizes are always good :lol: Congratulations and you're math skills seem to be working ok! :grin:

Here is a pic of the stillwater tactical match when I used my 6x47 lapua and my teammate used his 6.5x47. I have decided to shoot a .308 win for next year's comps. This in theory should make me a better overall shooter and wind caller??? I do not see the 308 as a handicap inside of 600 yards compared to the other offerings. I do see the 308 needing a better overall operator to be as efficient as the other offerings. So in theory using the 308 for a year should progress my abilities... In theory.

Attachments

• 10300110_606131476149541_3642351541502588714_n.jpg
    10300110_606131476149541_3642351541502588714_n.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 432
Back