Building a 260

billbam

Beginner
Dec 12, 2010
During the summer I picked up a 700 short action that was already worked over by my gunsmith. It had a heavy bull barrel in 260 on it. Yesterday, I had stopped in to say hello and got to talking and by the time I left, he was going to order a barrel for it today. Going with a Shilen #3 with 1/8 twist. I’m not sure what I want to do stock wise. I may do a Brown and finish it myself. I don’t think I want to do another McMillan. Looking at other options. Also, I’m not sure what I want to do scope wise. Any suggestions?

Kind of depends on what you're going to do with the rifle... I like what I've read so far though. The .260 is a neat cartridge.

A #3? I probably go with something like a VX3 3.5-10x40...

Or a VX6 2-12x42...

Its going to be my little one for deer/ utility. I don't have anything smaller than a 30 cal. for hunting. For the barrel, I was thinking of going with a 23". I have that on the whelen and I like it. I have a 4.5x14 leupold on the side which I may swap out onto the 300wm. That would leave me with the V3 3.5x10 50mm free. I wish I did not get the 50mm on that.

Nice - I like where you're headed with it.

I enjoy light-kicking hunting rifles.

Consider a laminated stock in warm "natural" tones? Would be different from the sea of synthetics out there, still has much of the "warmth" of wood, but pretty much impervious to weather. There's some good ones that really aren't very expensive. Boyds comes to mind.

Guy

It's a great cartridge and it sounds as if you have a pretty fair idea of what you want. What are you thinking in terms of price for a scope? That will dictate to some extent what you might consider. It sure does look as if CameraLand has prices that are about as reasonable as any. I do like the Minox, and the prices are pretty reasonable; nevertheless, I seem to spend a lot on glass any more. McMillan stocks are about as good as you can get; that's for sure.

Should be a great build. Another light stock to go along with the Brown Precision might be a Bansner, actually if you can find a take off Remington mountain rifle laminated they sure are really nice looking compact stocks. I don't like scopes with 50 mm either maybe you could trade it off for a 3.5-10x40 or 4.5-14x40. Don't think you will regret getting a smaller 6.5 like the 260 Rem, they sure are versatile from the little 85 gr Sierra to the heavyweight 160 gr Woodleigh that covers a lot of different hunting and a 1 in 8 twist will be able to spin them all. They are fun to shoot since they hardly kick at all and yours will be accurate with the Shilen barrel.

Sounds like a cool project.
The 3.5-10 would be just about perfect. Maybe you can trade the 50 mm for a 40 mm.

JD338

billbam":10v4jn1w said:
During the summer I picked up a 700 short action that was already worked over by my gunsmith. It had a heavy bull barrel in 260 on it. Yesterday, I had stopped in to say hello and got to talking and by the time I left, he was going to order a barrel for it today. Going with a Shilen #3 with 1/8 twist. I’m not sure what I want to do stock wise. I may do a Brown and finish it myself. I don’t think I want to do another McMillan. Looking at other options. Also, I’m not sure what I want to do scope wise. Any suggestions?

Call Clay at Prophet River Firearms in Lloydminster, Alberta and ask what he has for New Zealand Walnut stock blanks.
He is an importer and also sells some of the most beautiful walnut around the area.

Since its just a block of walnut, there shouldn't be any issues shipping it. I just bought this one after a couple years of wondering what to build with it(and saving my pennies)

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... /SB06A.jpg

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... /SB06B.jpg

Here are a couple Coopers that they have already built with the custom stocks.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... 12116A.jpg
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... G_0002.jpg

Bill, that sounds like a great build. I am with the others, a 2-10 or 3.5x10 Leupold will be a great scope and a nice rifle to carry in the woods.

Thats some nice wood. I do like wood stocks. I'm still not sure where I want to go with the it. I'll think about it some.
Scotty, The Minox has me a little spooked after I had to send it back for service, but I'll put it back on the Whelen. The 4200 will prob go back on the Weatherby. The 50mm may be sitting on the shelf. I'm going to take a look at Zeiss with some of their sales going on now. I don't have one yet.

Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 with the RapidZ 800 would fit that caliber very well. I have one on a 26" barreled 6.5 rem mag and shoot a 130 gr SSII at 3175 fps and the reticle matches great so you should be able to match a bullet and velocity close to max power from your 260. You can go to the Zeiss website and play with the RapidZ calculator and see

RapidZ800May07.jpg

Excellent glass (better than my spotter for glassing bullet holes long range), excellent service (not that you will need it) and excellent value. The 44 mm is just right

DSCN1246.jpg

DSCN1248.jpg

I love the Zeiss Conquest . It graces my Ruger #1 25-06 now.

FOTIS":2145osb5 said:

Fotis made a believer with the Zeiss Conquest. They are crystal clear and bright.

JD338

How is the Z600 or 800 recticle in the field? Does it get lost with low light conditions

JD338":j8oz478u said:
FOTIS":j8oz478u said:

Fotis made a believer with the Zeiss Conquest. They are crystal clear and bright.

JD338

You aren't kidding Jim. They are excellent glass! You should talk to Joel, he has a good deal on a scope right now...

billbam":2fb3aqes said:
How is the Z600 or 800 recticle in the field? Does it get lost with low light conditions

No

If you look at the pic the center reticle is just the right thickness and very very black when you look through the scope. Very easy to see in low light

The RZ 600 is on the lower power scopes like the 3.5x10 and the RZ 800 is for relatively flat shooter like the 270. The RZ 1000 is for the 308 and very busy

billbam":2pxc8efw said:

No. The reticles you name continue to be quite easily seen in low light.

OK thanks. I'm looking at the the 3.5x10 44. I see they have the 3x9 for $299 after rebate. Pretty good.

billbam":o1eumfxt said:
OK thanks. I'm looking at the the 3.5x10 44. I see they have the 3x9 for $299 after rebate. Pretty good.

That would be very hard to pass up.....

Back