Building my first AR15

looking good! Some quality parts there, and I'd bet you won't have any issue finding a great shooting load. You could probably squeeze out a bit more accuracy by replacing the mil-spec delta ring, handguard, barrel nut and gas block with a free-float handguard and low profile gas block.

Well I got the 5 rounders specifically so I can use it for coyote hunting on public/BLM ground just in case...I have a couple 10 and 30 round polymer mags for private ground use. Honestly probably won't use them hi capacity mags much anyway. No mag dumps and unnecessary throat wear here. If I can't kill or hit what I'm aiming at in 5 shots, I got other problems haha. Not sure I follow you about all the folds and welds. It's just a mag to me that allows a tad longer length at the end of the day.
The 2 on the left are the asc and LaRue. The difference is where the weld is (asc down the back and LaRue down the edge of the bolt catch rib). The middle pic is with an asc 6.8spc mag where it's folded and spot welded down the front (as in the right pic). The asc isn't as well built as the LaRue, but price difference is far apart ($92 vs $21) as both are 20 round mags. If asc made it like their 308win mags the coal could be as much as 2.340".

Attachments

• 20240423_124313.jpg
    20240423_124313.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240423_124132.jpg
    20240423_124132.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240423_124949.jpg
    20240423_124949.jpg
    905.4 KB · Views: 4
looking good! Some quality parts there, and I'd bet you won't have any issue finding a great shooting load. You could probably squeeze out a bit more accuracy by replacing the mil-spec delta ring, handguard, barrel nut and gas block with a free-float handguard and low profile gas block.
It's a national match free floated tube already. I bought it from a guy who used it at Camp Perry for a few matches. He guaranteed it to shoot 1/2 MOA as is because he's done it numerous times. He told me he took 2nd place with it. So with that said, I don't believe I'm handicapped at all with the current handguard that's on it. 1/2 MOA at 600 yards is 3" groups. And that's with a heaver trigger 5.5# I want to say he told me, and a 4x scope or whatever their rules are. Plenty good for me the way it sits. I've got a lighter trigger and a 14x scope, so I should be able to come pretty close to that. Don't plan on throwing a bunch more money into it as it's more just a range toy and truck gun anyway.

The 2 on the left are the asc and LaRue. The difference is where the weld is (asc down the back and LaRue down the edge of the bolt catch rib). The middle pic is with an asc 6.8spc mag where it's folded and spot welded down the front (as in the right pic). The asc isn't as well built as the LaRue, but price difference is far apart ($92 vs $21) as both are 20 round mags. If asc made it like their 308win mags the coal could be as much as 2.340".
Ok, that all makes sense now. Ya I'm not spending $90 on a mag either. Cavity back bullets is suppose to have some modified mags PRI I think that you can get out further, but they're out of stock most of the time. I think they're around $45-50 also. I can't remember how far you can get out with them but I want to say it's around 2.36" maybe?

Back