Bullet hitting powder

WPH

Beginner
Sep 4, 2006
I am prety sure that 180 gr AB bullets will hit the powder in the case when I load them. Will it hurt anything to compress the powder?

As long as you aren't loading above the max charge for your rifle, and you work up from a start load with the powder in question, you should be fine. I use several compressed loads in various rifles I shoot. What caliber and powder are you loading?

Long bullets like the AB will seat fairly deep in the case of some cartridges. I`ve had loads for a few cartridges that had a powder charge almost overflowing the case mouth and they shot just fine. I always check compressed loads the next day to see if the bullet has moved any, just in case. Never had it happen but I`d rather be safe then sorry. These are normally near or at max loads and you don`t want a bullet jammed in the leade if possible when worked up with some jump. As long as the load is a proven one from a respected manual and you work up you should be OK.

The 1st time you start crunching powder in a load such as these while seating the bullet you might fined yourself puckerin` a bit though... :lol:

dubyam":qem41vgl said:
As long as you aren't loading above the max charge for your rifle, and you work up from a start load with the powder in question, you should be fine. I use several compressed loads in various rifles I shoot.

yup! +1

To get consistant powder ignition, you want the case filled up with powder.
A compressed powder charge will ensure everything is consistant.
Some of the short cut powders are nice for meetering as well as filliing up the case without the "crunch" sounf when seating the bullet.

JD338

Back