Car Accident In My Yard

3 Meter Para Bellum

Handloader
Apr 17, 2020
Wow.

Scary thing just happened in my front yard this evening. At my new house there is a fairly active road with people driving by throughout the day. My front yard goes right up to the road, but there is a steep hill about five feet high where the road sets above the level of the yard. On the far right there is a drainage ditch that is even deeper. It had just rained and the road was slick, my Dad looked out the window and saw a car in the drainage ditch.

We scrambled out there to make sure everybody was OK. Two cars were involved, one stayed on the road, and it looks like nobody was injured. A baby was in one of the vehicles.

Man, it really got my heart in my throat to see a car crashed into a seven foot ditch right in my front yard. Really scary. Glad everybody seemed to be OK. Police and Fire Department were out there quick to help.

This was on a road that has a 35 mph speed limit. Drive safe folks.

Glad no one was injured. Yeah, those accidents can get the heart racing.

I volunteer with a local fire company..........seen a lot. Some people are extremely fortunate. Extremely. Others not so much. A head on collision between a car and a motorcycle made me cry uncle and go home when things were tidied up enough that there was nothing else pressing I needed to be there for. That one gave me a limit where I'd had enough. A human being should not be reduced to roadkill, it just isn't right, but unfortunately man and machine don't always mix.

ShadeTree,

That is rough.

I could mentally ignore what was now under the tarp. But after about 20 minutes of being around it and about the 3rd time of unintentionally seeing pooled blood creeping down the blacktop and knowing where it was coming from, I had enough. Nothing I had to be there for at that point, and I was going home and needed to. Made me sick. Not literally, but sick.

One night one of my young officers initiated a pursuit of a motorcycle. He puts out speed and direction (over 100) followed by continued fail to yield. Gives a description of the bike. I’m about 4 or five miles away. I ask him what crime has the suspect committed. Officer responds ”real;ess drIrving” I order him to discontinue and then have radio tone out all officers discontinue. My window is down I don’t hear any sirens. At last report suspect was headed east I’m headed west. I call the young officer for a meet. He confirms five minutes as he had turned and gone the other way when ordered to discontinue. Now about 21/2 minutes into this. I hear the bike coming around a corner. I simply slide into a paring lot. I see the bikes headlight go erratic then I see the suspect go sliding by on his back his bike going a slightly different direction. Suspect then hits a fire hydrant still sliding at about 35

That is scary, glad everyone was okay.

Yeah Shade that is tough, I watched a motorcycle run right into the back of a car coming onto the freeway right beside be once, they got up but will never foget seeing 2 people and a bike sliding across the freeway

Many years ago I was called to a crash scene at a home on a cul de sac. A fellow came home from work at an area plant and was changing clothes. His wife made him get out of his dirty clothes before he came in the house. As usual his wife has some clean clothes on the back of his boat that is parked in his one car garage. And again as usual he balances himself on the boat while he takes off his pants. At the same moment a car comes crashing into the wall of his garage knocking the boat into him and knocking him on his a$$. I don't guess I need to say that the driver was drunk. I put this in because I really don't like reliving the more tragic ones.

my son bought a fixer upper house oct 2018 . we were working on it , started in the worst room first , and was going to work through the whole house . a drunk woman ran up over about a 10" high curb and hit his house at 2AM . this was the master bedroom . a night stand was in this corner the bed beside it . they slept with their heads against this wall . very lucky , it could have been a disaster . this happened oct 2019 .

thumbnail.jpg

#2 .jpg

thumbnail #3  (2).jpg

My uncles house was in a steep curve. He had a substantial rock wall at the edge of his yard, over the years more than a few missed the curve and went through his wall. After someone didn’t survive, he tore the wall down figuring the grass would be an easier stop than a rock wall. 8-9 years went by and surely enough a couple teens missed the curve and came to an easy stop in his yard, only tore up some grass and they needed some minor suspension work.

Oh, man… The scariest shit is that there was a small kid. Glad everything went well for everyone. I wonder why people don’t follow simple rules. I mean, it’s not that hard not to drive over 35mph. You made me remember the only car accident I got into 2 years ago. In short, the driver that hit my car sideways didn’t notice the red light on the crossroad. Guess why he didn’t notice it. Exactly. He was scrolling Instagram. Eventually, these guys, https://puschnguyen.com, managed to get compensation from that stupid ass. So, folks, don’t ever look at your phone while driving. Save someone’s life.

Last edited:
If you travel enough on our highways sooner or later, you will run up on some nasty accidents and I have seen my share.
In the 1970's I was hauling Harvester silos out of Kankakee IL and was on I-70 in IN one night around 0200 when I came up on a multiple vehicle accident, cars and a tractor trailer were involved. There were bodies in the road and the smell was that of a slaughterhouse, don't know when the accident had occurred, but it had been a while before I showed up. In the middle of nowhere with only a CB radio to call for help. I tossed some flares and checked for people I could help, took blankets from my truck and covered those I couldn't.
Back then there was a minimum 70mph speed limit and no max, so it is hard to tell how fast they were going and looked to be a chain reaction accident there wasn't much left of any of the vehicles including the truck.
Death is something you never get use to no matter where or how you encounter it, healing from the experience can take a lifetime and can be life changing.

I could mentally ignore what was now under the tarp. But after about 20 minutes of being around it and about the 3rd time of unintentionally seeing pooled blood creeping down the blacktop and knowing where it was coming from, I had enough. Nothing I had to be there for at that point, and I was going home and needed to. Made me sick. Not literally, but sick.
My son is a new paramedic, been on the job for about 6 months now. I reckon he'll have some days like this along the way.

My daughter is driving the ambulance these days too. Always pray that these things dont happen so thats she's not on the scene. Some things you just cant "un see". Pray always for Divine protection and grace for the first responders, whatever branch of service. CL

My rural front yard is a gathering place for cars as they don't respect the corner that is posted at 25 mph and I can easily drive my Honda Civic through at 45 mph without squealing or drifting. During the summer months the local kids turn my road into a raceway and I have been trained to know how long a tire can squeal and still make the corner as well as recognizing the characteristic "whoump" of an airbag deploying. I now have a "crash bag" at my back door and the local paramedic on speed dial.
The most impressive crash was a new employee of the local BMW dealership who tried to take the corner at 70mph or so. Slid across one lane of road and into my ditch, then took the BMW airborne for 40 ft. before striking the fir tree about 3 ft. above ground level. The sound of the accident had me dashing for the door and I could hear the car calling 911 as I approached. To my amazement the driver was exiting the vehicle as I arrived. Dazed, confused, and but lucky to be alive. The car was totaled, the fir tree was snapped in two and uprooted. Rather that stating his relief at being alive, his first comments were "I think I just lost my job".
IMG_1893.JPG
VNFT3062.JPG

My rural front yard is a gathering place for cars as they don't respect the corner that is posted at 25 mph and I can easily drive my Honda Civic through at 45 mph without squealing or drifting. During the summer months the local kids turn my road into a raceway and I have been trained to know how long a tire can squeal and still make the corner as well as recognizing the characteristic "whoump" of an airbag deploying. I now have a "crash bag" at my back door and the local paramedic on speed dial.
The most impressive crash was a new employee of the local BMW dealership who tried to take the corner at 70mph or so. Slid across one lane of road and into my ditch, then took the BMW airborne for 40 ft. before striking the fir tree about 3 ft. above ground level. The sound of the accident had me dashing for the door and I could hear the car calling 911 as I approached. To my amazement the driver was exiting the vehicle as I arrived. Dazed, confused, and but lucky to be alive. The car was totaled, the fir tree was snapped in two and uprooted. Rather that stating his relief at being alive, his first comments were "I think I just lost my job".
View attachment 18482
View attachment 18483
Ya think!:rolleyes: Yeah, he might have been a bit more restrained on that corner. :unsure:

As an aside, what did the insurance consider the value of the fir tree to be?

My wife wanted the tree gone before this occurred, and the BMW dealership had already spent $65,000 towards the removal of tree, so I just had them call in an arborist to finish removing the tree and grinding the stump.

Last edited:
A pricey tree removal for the dealership. They'll have to sale another coupe or two to recoup the cost.

Back