Cartridge length for 50 grain BAllistic Tip in 22-250

cconn

Beginner
Jan 12, 2006
Looking for the overall cartridge length to go by when reloading my 22-250 with 50 grain Nosler Ballistic tips, part number 39522. None of my manuals have this bullet. I am using Varget powder.

cconn,

My col is 2.441" in the 22-250 Rem using the 50 gr BT.
I use 36.0 grs of Varget and get great accuracy from
my M700 VLS.

Regards,

JD338

Thanks. I loaded some with 36.5 grains of varget and shot 0.37 inches center to center with 5 shots at 100 yds. Trying to determine optimum seating depth for my Remington XR100 but havent been able to find an adapter to 22-250 in my area. Guess I'll have to order it.

cconn,

Good Shooting. Sounds like you are there!

Regards,

JD338

I have been using a OAL of 2.48 with the 50 gr bullet and 37 grs. of varget out of my rem VLS It consistently shoots in the 4's :grin:

I'm a bit more conservative with my overall length. I use IMR4064 36.0grs. It gives me 3700fps, and groups usually around 2.86" (5 at 100yds). I seat the bullet out to 2.40". Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Ok, I recieved my Stoney Point COL gauge today and did some measuring. Using Nosler 55 grain Ballistic Tip my length to lands is 2.54 inches. I have read that a good rule of thumb is to seat the bullet .020" to .040" inches short of this measurement. This would give me a COL of 2.50 inches. Now, I have also read that bullets need to be seated in the case at least one caliber ( in this case .224"). The Nosler 55 grain BT is 0.81 " long. My cases are trimmed 1.904". This only leaves .214" of bullet in the case. to get .224" of bullet in case needs a COL of 2.49", but this leaves a gap of 0.05" bullet to lands. Is this normal? This is my first rifle I have tried to reload for. The first reload I made had a COL of 2.336" and shot fine, but that is 0.204 inches from lands and seems like a lot.
Thanks for the help.

The one caliber length inside the case neck is a guide line only. As long as the bullet seats firmly, it won't be any problem. I routinely seat at less depth and use a Lee factory crimp die to insure myself that the bullet won't move (until I want it to :lol: ). With some bullets/case combinations, if you used the one bullet diameter you would really be a long ways off the lands. One post I read said that if he couldn't pull the bullet out with his fingers, it was tight enough. Hope this helps answer your question.

Blaine

Back