Cases preped and ready

Too Tall

Handloader
Jul 5, 2011
Got a few rifles from the Ranch that need a little attention.
Different scopes mounted, new tuned triggers, new loads, and sighted in.

I got all the cases tumbled, and sorted. All kinds of brass. I will re-size them and trim.

Got a .223 in a Featherweight. Old push feed with a Springfield Armory scope, set up for 5.56. I gave my Nephew this rifle when he turned 16. (He is now 30)
Going to work up a load with 55 grain BT. (Varmints)

A .22-250 in a Ruger 77 in a plastic stock. The trigger was terrible in the weapon. Almost 6 pounds. One of those with no adjustment, file away and try. Mounted a scope that he had, in Ruger rings. Going to use the 55 grain BT in this rifle too. (Varmints)

A .243 in a Featherweight Classic, with a Leupold VXII 3-9x40. I gave the other Nephew this set up years ago. He tells me this is his most used rifle. Going to work up a load with 95 grain CTST. (Varmints, Deer, and Antelope)

A .25-06 in a Mauser with a PO Ackley barrel and Shepard scope. I set this rifle up several years ago, and gave it to them. The rifle shoots.
Back in the 70's, I had to put down a bunch of game that was contagious. All were 1 shot kills. I was using a 120 grain bullet. Now days the rifle is used to take from fox to horses. I'm going to work up a load with 115 BT, (Everything from Varmints to Elk)

A .300 Win Mag in a Classic Sporter with a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x40. I traded for this rifle a couple years ago, here on this site.
Going to work up a load with 180 AB's. This rifle is going to my Brother in law.
The man with 1 rifle.
He is still packing a savage model 99 in .308 Win. We each got one of those rifles when we were in high school. Mine is still here in the safe.
He uses his rifle for everything from putting down the cow dog to shooting coyotes, way out there.

Then I am ready to work on the drop chart on the .338 Norma Mag. Got a load with the 300 grain SMK. Got the rifle sighted in at 200 yards.
I put the Huskamaw 5-20x50 on this rifle, in a 20 MOA base. I have been waiting for the right weather to shoot across the river, and gather information. This rifle will be used for deer and elk. And wolves, as far as I can see them.

Sounds like some great work in front of you. All great cartridges. Some of the old Model 99s turned in enviable accuracy. I regret that I didn't keep the one I had.

Wow, you have some shooting ahead of you buddy!

Sounds like you are really going to have a good time. That 300 Win Mag sounds like a great one.

That's going to be one heck of a range day and that 338 Norma Mag should be the cat's butt!

TT,

You are going to have some fun working up loads.
Looking forward to your report on the 338 Norma Mag.
BTW, have you looked at the Nosler 338 300 gr AB yet? The BC is .720.

JD338

A little change for the .300 Win. I don't have any 180 grain AB's so going to use 165 BT instead. I got 400 seconds in the can.

Boy I have to come up with a different way to trim. I got a Redding Trim Lathe. It works good but it hard on my hands.
A few years ago, I bought a Little Crow WFT in WSM. Its real good but expensive.

I guess I'm getting old, but my hands sure get to cramping.

Anyway I re-sized and trimmed all 100 of the RP .300 Win's. Got 3 each loaded with H4350, low to high, in one grain steps.
Re-sized all the .22-250 and cleaned the primer pockets, and re-primed.

Those 165 BT's should run fast out of the 300 BT. Looking forward to your results with that rifle.

I am not sure if you can do it or not, but I can chuck my cordless drill up to my RCBS trimmer with a little hex attachment. I don't use it with everything, but when I have to trim a bunch of resized 375 Ruger brass I turn into 35 Newton brass, it makes quick work of them.

The .25-06, I loaded in 1/2 grain increments start at 54.5 up to 56.5 of
H1000 with the 115 BT.
Overall length of 3.29 inches.

The low charge was averaging about 3100,
55 grains was about 3120,
about the same 55.5 & 56 was about 3150.
56 was the most accurate at 1".
Will try that load again.

The .22-250 loaded with Ramshot Big Game starting load 36.5.
Topped out at 38.5. All them loads were under 55 grain V Max Molly coated.
The low-end 3320, mid range 3380, top end 3050. Low end was the most
accurate in about 3/4".
I will mess around down there and see if one will come together.

The .300 Winchester was all over the paper.
I was loading H4831, 69 to 73 grains, in 1 grain steps.
All loads were under 165 grain ballistic tips.
I'll have to do more work with this rifle.

I also did some work with a 300 WSM, with the 180 Accubonds, 190 grain
Berger's.
I tried three different powders, Magpro, Ramshot Hunter, and H 4350.
Hunter Powder, 63 grains to 65 1/2, and half-game increments.
63.5 was running about 2920 and grouped into .98 inches.
64.5 was running about 2930 and grouped into .83 inches.
65 grains running 2950 and grouped into .550.
Will load some more at this and mess with stick out.

The 180 grain accubonds over MagPro, started at 72 grains and up to 74 1/2
grains.
72 is running about 2850, 73 2900, 74 2920.
No pressure sign so I'm going to go on up little higher.

Back