Comparison of Bullet Constructions

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I received some Nosler 300 gr. BST bullets for Christmas. When I went to section one lengthwise I grapped up a Hornady 325 gr. FTX as well since I had never sectioned one before. I had always assumed they would be very similar to the Hornady 350 gr. FN.

I was surprised when I compared the Hornady 350 gr. FN to the Hornady 325 gr. FTX. As the photo below shows there were significant differences between the cannelures and the interlock rings for the two bullets.

Comparison.JPG

From left to right, the bullets are:

Hornady 350 gr. FN
Hornady 325 gr. FTX
Speer 300 gr. Uni-Cor HP (bonded jacket)
Nosler 300 gr. BST

I tried to point to the locations of the interlock rings in the Hornady bullets with the pointed ends of toothpicks.

If you click on the photo and zoom in you can see these features better.

The cannelure on the Hornady 350 gr. FN is both deeper and wider than the one on the Hornady 325 gr. FTX. It is also closer to the base.

The interlock ring on the Hornady 350 gr. FN is about half way from the cannelure to base. The interlock ring on the Hornady 325 gr. FTX in just below the cannelure ring, much further from the base than the 350 gr. FN.

In the testing that I have done (with the 450 Marlin at velocities of about 2050 fps) with water jugs, the mushroom on the Hornady 350 gr. FN generally stops near the cannelure. The interlock ring is well below the mushroom head and still firmly holds the core into the base.

However, the mushroom on the Hornady 325 FTX generally rolls down below the cannelure, to near ( or even below) the interlock.

I would speculate that these differences help explain the observations that the Hornady 350 gr. FN "holds together" better than the Hornady 325 gr. FTX.

I haven't shot the Nosler 300 gr. BST yet.

Dan

Very interesting, Dan. I have a good supply of the 200 grain FTX in .358 caliber. They shoot well in my .356 Win, so I snagged a supply at one point.

Dan,

I've shot the 325 FTX's in my Henry 45-70. Going to be working up some reloads with both the Nosler 300 BT and the Speer 300. Let me know how those two shoot for you.

Cheers,
Brian

I have read some great reviews on the 300 grain Speer, most of which were people commenting on how tough the bullet was and how well it performed.

Dan that's a great comparison, they all looked really good to me, way more than enough for anything I might want to hunt.

My daughter and I have had great success with the 300 gt BST on WT deer with the 45-70
and our muzzleloaders. Exit holes are 3/4" and blood trails are short and heavy.

JD338

Back