Concentricity Gage

velvetant

Handloader
Apr 16, 2007
What type of Concentricity Gage do you guys use?
I used to have a Hollands that was okay, not great but helped me find some
reloading problems.
Not looking for one that's supposed to straighten ammo, Need to fix the problems before it gets that far.

The rcbs has been fine for me. There's lots of fancy stuff out there but i can't argue w/the rcbs. I too, try for near perfect sized cases before loading but a few still come out of the seating die w/ runnout. I also have a tru tool mounted
On my bench to correct the few loaded cartridges that come out a little whacky. Highly recommend the combo.

Velvetant, I have the one that straightens ammo so I'm afraid I'm of little help to you.
As a new reloader, much newer when I purchased it, I went with what the local store had. Is sufficient for my needs as I have yet to progress to turning necks and doubt I ever will unless you are referring to my good looks and boyish charm.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

You should start with the case neck sized concentrically to the case body.

I do this by setting my FL die up first with the expander rod loose. Lube correctly & drive the case into the die and on withdrawal, when the expander ball is drawn into the case neck, STOP. Now tighten the lock nut on expander rod. The die is set and the shell holder allows the slight movement to keep the whole cartridge centered.

Bullet seating I use a competition die and as the bullet first seats into the case mouth, I stop and re-seat further having rotated the cartridge some 90-180 degrees.
I found these methods have eliminated concentricity problems.

The thought of messing about checking and trying to straighten cartridges and what that may do to neck tensions is woeful.
ATB ET

don't own one, lube your cases right and set the die as elmer suggests, then when I seat the bullet, just start it, back off the ram spin it 90-120 degrees, seat a lil more, back off spin it again, finish seating, runout is usualy less than .0015, shoots better than I do
RR

I went with this one, thanks for the input guys.
http://www.21stcenturyshooting.com/Concentricity_Gauge.php

Man alive RR, these toys can run away with your time & cash...personally, like you, I'd rather get the job right in the first place (y) than have to muck about afterwards.

Ridge_Runner":35u1aa02 said:
don't own one, lube your cases right and set the die as elmer suggests, then when I seat the bullet, just start it, back off the ram spin it 90-120 degrees, seat a lil more, back off spin it again, finish seating, runout is usualy less than .0015, shoots better than I do
RR

Good luck with your new toy velvetant. ATB ET

Back