Cow tag, in the timber...

My two biggest failures have been head shots, both got away for a miserable death. Just behind the last rib and out through the chest or far shoulder. What else but a 180 gr. PT, with 72 grains of H-4350 pushing it. The 300 Win Mag will get it done.

Not the best shot opportunity but I can see it happening.
Timber calls for my 30-06 using the 180gr Barnes TTSX. Drive it through.

Gm weatherby man":2enzehef said:
BD1, I like the way you think, though I'm not much for head shot, have done a few. I believe in this situation a head shot make good sense if your good with your equipment, but it's not about bragging right you got on the ground, but taking in a way that as much meat is not wasted as possible.killing a animal when never new you where there, that's the real challenge, something I learned from bow hunting over the years.

Appreciate that and agreed, a head shot isn't necessarily the best shot. I felt trying to thread a bullet through all the branches and trying to hit the vitals correctly without putting a bullet through the grass bag on this animal would be nigh on impossible. That could end up being a helluva mess ....... and possibly made worse with a high velocity bullet up close. I've never had a taste for gut shot animals.

Guy,
It would be 35 Whelen time for me, shooting 225 Accubonds I would definetly take the shot angled from back of ribs through to the far side shoulder. She is DRT Buddy!! :mrgreen:

Don

HTDUCK":s2l6hd79 said:
truck driver":s2l6hd79 said:
I know you guys may think I'm nuts for trying it with this caliber but I have killed lots of White Tail in Heavy timber and only had spot shots that you had to thread the needle and my Needle Threader is a Rem 725 semi custom 257 Roberts. The shot would be right behind the right ear with a 110 gr PT. I carry my Roberts when hunting heavy brush because it's capable of doing what I ask it to do.

Nope, you're not nuts.
My first reaction too.

Only difference I'd be shooting my Rem 700 280 and a 160 Partition.

If she moved to the right and got into the clear a bit better I would take the shot behind the right shoulder and aim accordingly as to how she was turned. If not, I'm with the guys above especially if I am very steady and maybe leaned up against a pine tree with my rifle, I'd put it right where the bottom edge of her right ear meets that dark line of hair.

I shot a spike bull with my 6mm Remington at 30 yards in heavy timber similar to this. He was angled slightly and I shot him at the point of his right shoulder because I didn't want him running down into the canyon below us. It was really steep and thick. He staggered a couple of steps and stopped and I'm sure was dead on his feet, but then I've seen elk and other animals do so incredible stuff when they are most certainly dead. I put one more at the base of his right ear and he dropped in his tracks. The 100 gr. Nosler Partition in the shoulder broke his shoulder and angled forward just a bit and exited on the left side just at the front edge of his left shoulder. It completely destroyed his lungs.

Awesome picture David. Great hunt too! I love those close up with the elk hunts.

I gotta talk to my guide, he ends up making me shoot across the danged mountains!

Back