Ejectors vs Extractors

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I know what each one does just wondering if the speed of reloading with ejectors makes a big difference.

If you're asking me to explain the difference between extractors and ejectors then.....
Extractors raise the shells (whether fired or unfired) when you open up the action on double barreled shotguns.

Ejectors act as extractors when you open up the action and you have unfired shells in the gun. If you did fire the shells then ejectors will eject the fired shell over your head and 5-6 feet back. So in fact you bypass the manual extraction of the gun with having ejectors on fired shells.

If you're asking me to explain the difference between extractors and ejectors then.....
Extractors raise the shells (whether fired or unfired) when you open up the action on double barreled shotguns.

Ejectors act as extractors when you open up the action and you have unfired shells in the gun. If you did fire the shells then ejectors will eject the fired shell over your head and 5-6 feet back. So in fact you bypass the manual extraction of the gun with having ejectors on fired shells.
No, sorry I wasn't clear. I was asking you to elaborate on your question. I clicked on this thread from the latest posts tab; didn't realize you were talking about shotguns instead of rifles

I'll provide an anecdote. Last year I was recruited by some coworkers to shoot sporting clays for this boy scout fundraising function. I did not know I was going, so I didn't have my shotgun (a Beretta 686 Onyx with a very powerful ejection). My coworker let me use his Citori (which did not have a powerful ejector, if any). It was annoying to start out with, but by the end it wasn't too bad, although it was an extra action I had to make in order to reload, so it definitely would have been faster if I'd have just had mine to begin with. Clean up is much faster if you extract manually, though ;)

I'm sure someone out there is a speedster without the ejector, but I've always liked it.

I've generally used ejectors, but I do find that mucking about trying to find and retrieve the fired shells to be a bit of a chore.

For speed of reloading the ejectors are quite good - I mean - those spent shells are GONE on breaking open the Citori... Or the Rem 32, or the SKB 20 gauge... That's nice, the chambers are open and ready for new shells pretty much instantly.

Guy

My 204 Ruger in a H&R is an extractor and boy do I struggle getting those little cases out with my big fingers. Ejector by far faster.

I wonder when speedy reloads is that important with a O/U or SxS. I tend to run a semi auto when needing more than two rounds. I generally cover the breech on a double to keep it from ejecting and pull the shells. Not chasing empties is more important to me.

Even when upland game hunting with a double I rarely would get a chance at more than two pheasants in a flush and chasing them back down is most of the fun.

For waterfowl I would use a pump or auto. I don’t mind absolutely abusing my franchi affinity in ways I would never treat a pretty double.

I wonder when speedy reloads is that important with a O/U or SxS. I tend to run a semi auto when needing more than two rounds. I generally cover the breech on a double to keep it from ejecting and pull the shells. Not chasing empties is more important to me.

Even when upland game hunting with a double I rarely would get a chance at more than two pheasants in a flush and chasing them back down is most of the fun.

For waterfowl I would use a pump or auto. I don’t mind absolutely abusing my franchi affinity in ways I would never treat a pretty double.
That makes perfectly good sense

Hunting Chukar and Quail I liked ejectors for speedy reloads. Over the years I've shot many late flushers with a speed reload. That being said, after more than 50 years hunting in hells canyon I've become much more aware of my empties lying in the Sage. My last double has extractors, and I strive to fill a pocket or two with old hulls I find, many of those sun rotted and crumbling at the touch, are mine.
Enlightenment comes late to some of us.

Attachments

• 1E55311E-C83E-4741-9D82-03932F250D07.jpeg
    1E55311E-C83E-4741-9D82-03932F250D07.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
My o/u has ejectors and like Guy I find it annoying to pick up the shells.
On the stand it is ok, but I don't leave empty shells in the field. Even more pronounced in auto loaders. Sometimes takes a while to find all the cases
On the stand, speed doesn't matter at all, hunting where it might matter, I usually use an auto loader. So for me, ejectors are not necessary.

Fotis, for many people it isn't so much the speed of reloading that is the issue. It is the issue of saving the hulls for reloading. At many skeet and trap fields any hull that hits the ground becomes the property of the club so shooters don't want an empty accidently flying over their shoulder. Some skeet and trap shooters disable the ejectors so that they can pick the empties out of the shotgun and put them in their "empties" pouch. Other shooters just learn how to catch the hulls when they pop out. And yes, occasionally they miss one. I fit into the latter category.

If your a trap, skeet or sporting clays shooter you will usually prefer extractors so that you have your empty hulls remain in your O/U or SxS. This way you can retrieve your empties without chasing them. Leaving your empties on most ranges is frowned upon. Also, you now have them for reloading.

Have and use both. Ejectors are faster for sure but can hold your hand over the hulls so they don't go flying just takes a little practice. Shooting skeet or trap it's nice not chasing the hulls since I reload them. Hunting situation for me with a shotgun involves squirrels or turkeys now days. Back when I was rabbit hunting, I wanted a quick reload. Dan.

I didn't see it mentioned, but if you only shoot one barrel and want to reload only the spent shell, extractors make that easier. But now that I think about it, if you got it with the first shot, you're probably not in a hurry, anyway.

Down here in the south east dove shoots are a big thing. When they get to darting all around at speed ejectors really come into thier own. Sometimes even then you can't load fast enough. I will never buy another SXS or OU without ejectors. I've also found them handy when shooting ducks.

Back