fire forming to 280 AI

Greg Nolan

Handloader
Nov 25, 2004
I'm re-chambering from 280 to 280 AI and I wondered if fire forming my brass is a good idea since I have mostly nickel plated. Can I fire-form from brass 280 brass?

You will have no particular problem fire-forming brass from 280 brass. The newer nickel-plated brass is much more tolerant of stretching and/or forming than were the first cases. You should not anticipate any particular problems, Greg.

Greg,

I am sure you would have no problem fire forming existing brass but I for one like to start off with all new components. A Max 280 Remington load is a starting load for the 280AI.
I typically use a 140 gr BT with 57.0 grs RL19 for fire forming but these were with a Hornady 154 gr Spire Point. Free bullets are always good for fire forming.
280AI fire forming
IMG_07611.jpg

100 yard fire forming target
IMG_07651.jpg

JD338

I had a Remington Mountain Rifle in .280 reamed tot he Ackley back in '93. All I could find was the nickel brass back then. I would lose a few to neck cracks or nickel flaking off the neck/shoulder junction. Overall it was fine. This was using half a case of pistol powder and cottonballs to try and save my barrel for fireforming. I went back to a mid pressure load and a long bullet (see free bullets above, ha) jammed into the throat. This works best with factory barrel rechambers usually. If your rifle has been set up properly, you can use factory loads or "non bullet fire forming methods" just fine. My Whelen AI has a factory barrel but the rifle was Blueprinted/rechambered/headspace set properly for Ackleys. BTW, my 22" Mountain rifle did not gain enough to bother with, but I enjoyed the experience. Its a great round though. since I've got older, when I wanted more speed from my last 280, I just had the rifle converted/rebarrel to 7mm Rem Mag. I'm weird that way...:)

Back