first deer

yeayow

Beginner
Jun 6, 2005
Finally getting around to editing the post. I've been shooting for almost 40 years and never really seriously hunted but this is my first deer. I shot with 257 roberts with 110 gr. AccuBond. Its an older savage that i rebarreled. The load is 44.4 gr. of h-4350 loaded to an O.A.L. of 2.88 inches. A lot longer than saami but the savage magazine will take it. It was a 308 and after playing with some mauser milsurps i really liked the idea of a roberts and have been happy with it ever since. I was down in central georgia at one of my nephews friends family property. It was cold at least for GA. at about 30 degress. i got in the stand about 6:00 am that was in a creek bottom. At about 6:50 when the sun was just about to break over the top of the hills the doe walked out of some thicker woods into the swampy bottom. When she walked out into a 4 foot break between the brush i shot to my left side and hit her. Since the shot was very definitly a pass through there was one hell of a splash as what i think was most of her heart and the bullet splashed into one branch of the creek. I sat for about ten minutes thinking how i was going to track her with all the running water around. When i finally got off the stand and walked the 60 yards where she was shot at and looked about 25 yards to the left she was laying in the creek. After looking at her and all the blood she spit out on the tree in front of where she collapsed i wondered how she got that far. I never thought any thing could live that long being that hard hit. Dragging her out of there was the worst part of the morning as i tripped and fell in the creek. I didn't want to ruin any one else's hunt so i climbed back into the stand and froze my but of for 2 hours. Although as pumped as i was i don't really think i felt the cold wetness for and hour and a half.
first_deer2.jpg

Yeayow,

Can't see your photo. However, congratulations on getting your first deer. That is always a sweet accomplishment.

Congrats! Can't see much with the tiny picture, but congrats on the deer. You'll never forget the first one.

You'll have some fine eating with that deer. Again, congratulations.

yeayow

Congratulations to you!
The 257 Bob strikes again! Great caliber and bullet choice for sure.

JD338

Congrats buddy!

That 257 Bob is like a sleeper supercharger!

Nice shot! The .257 Roberts is a good one for sure! :grin: :grin:

She will be some wonderful eating. Nice and fat............

yeayow

Congrats again, that is a nice doe.
Tell us the story of your hunt. How far was the shot? What was your load in the 257 Bob? What did you think of the 110 gr AB performance?

We just love hearing all the details. :grin:

JD338

yeayow,

I, too, am interested in learning what your load was. I'm just working up my 110 grain AB loads in my 257 Bob, now. I have some 115 grain PT loads using IMR 8208 XBR that will be going to the range as soon as I get a decent day.

at work right now. I guess i have to sit down and write some more tonight when i look at my load data.

Congratulations on your first deer, I still remember mine and probably always will.

Corey

Congrats on that deer. Dont matter how longit took. Gotta love that Rifle! Keep shootin' that .25. Sure enough got the job done. CL

yeayow

Great story! Thanks for sharing the hunt with us.

JD338

by the way the marinated back straps wrapped in bacon were incredible. Even my daughters loved it even though they thought they were eating beef

Congratulations on your deer! Glad you have gotten the bug, venison is about as good as it gets. Scotty

Back