first time at 600 yards with .223

FreshAir

Beginner
Oct 16, 2010
Well i got the chance yesterday to shoot at a friends farm where we had a pretty good range. I have never shoot my .223 past 300 yards so i was curious how it would perform. We started out at 530 and once i got the dope figured out we were dingin the steel target every shot. The best part was this was my wifes first time firing a center fire rifle and she hit it on her first shot :grin: After hitting it quite a bit we flipped the target around and sent 10 more down range. Its hard to tell from the picture but the group was about 6" and that was with 3 different shooters firing 3 shots each.(of course the 3 right in the middle are mine :lol: )

We then moved back to 592 and had the same results with 10 more clicks of elevation. Needless to say we all had a blast and my wife said she wanted to go again. She hasent asked me to build her a pink rifle next but i think she might have caught the "Gun Bug"

Overall it was a great trip and i think 800 is pretty doable as long as the wind is not present. Now i just need to get my hands on a chrono graph so i can start to put together an accurate chart.
Thanks again for all the great info on this site!!!!
Savage 12 (pre accu trigger)
Totally stock except for an adjusted trigger 2lbs-ish
Load-
Mixed brass
CCI small rifle primers
26.0 grains of Varget
69 gr SMK's
Cant remember the COAL of the top of my head

Attachments

• group.JPG
    316.2 KB · Views: 878
Those 69 grain smk's are great bullets! I have used them out to 828 yards with my AR platform. Great shooting!

Just need to take along some white paint so you can see your bullet strikes more easily!

I think that actually shooting at various ranges is a better test of trajectory than chrono'ing and running through a ballistics program. At best, the software is an estimation of where the bullet will land. The only thing the program has over field use is that the environmental conditions can be adjusted for.

Now if you could set you chrono up at 500 yards, and get a reading without killing a skyscreen...

I'll put on my prognosticating hat. I see a pink rifle under the Christmas tree. Good shooting. Great to hear of your wife getting involved with the rifle.

corbin9191":1f14307o said:
Those 69 grain smk's are great bullets! I have used them out to 828 yards with my AR platform. Great shooting![
I have always heard guys talk about how great they shoot, I'm now a believer as well. I can't wait to try a little further back but I don't know how much more adjustment I have in my scope, really need a 10 moa base.
BK":1f14307o said:
Just need to take along some white paint so you can see your bullet strikes more easily!

I think that actually shooting at various ranges is a better test of trajectory than chrono'ing and running through a ballistics program. At best, the software is an estimation of where the bullet will land. The only thing the program has over field use is that the environmental conditions can be adjusted for.
X2 on the paint
I hear yah on the program. I need gather a lot more data because I really want to upgrade the scope and have some ballistic turrets built.... The whole counting clicks deal gets old.
DrMike":1f14307o said:
I'll put on my prognosticating hat. I see a pink rifle under the Christmas tree. Good shooting. Great to hear of your wife getting involved with the rifle.
Hey I wouldn't be to hurt about it..... Who dosent nead another rifle :)

Back