Great Basin Highway

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
We decided to combine having to go to Boise for medical with a trip to Arizona. Drove the Great Basin highway yesterday. Don't think it would be fun in the summer, but incredible with cool temps. Saw deer, elk, antelope and fantastic views. Maybe 10 cars all day. Highly recommend the drive.

Attachments

• IMG_8392.jpeg
    IMG_8392.jpeg
    668.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8389.jpeg
    IMG_8389.jpeg
    698.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8384.jpeg
    IMG_8384.jpeg
    410.8 KB · Views: 20
Those are some magnificent vistas. Without doubt the game you saw is a bonus.

Nice,
Looks like the Mtns near McDermitt, Oregon. I would like to visit Great Basin Park and the Rubys sometime.
We've driven from our home near LaGrande, Or through Mcdermitt several times. I like the Great Basin more. Generally when we head south we've picked a weather window, don't like pulling 6 to 7000 foot passes with snow on the road. We had road side snow all the way to Elly but the roads were dry. The parks/refuges are very cool.

I'm blessed, I've had a couple of great careers, managed to save a little, been able to travel around this great country and then there is Catherine, I'm one lucky son of a gun.
We are hanging out in Parker Arizona till Friday, then down to Tucson for a few more.
She knows I'm getting impatient to be home, she needs lots of vitamin D. So we'll figure to be home in about three weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_8446.jpeg
    IMG_8446.jpeg
    459.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8393.jpeg
    IMG_8393.jpeg
    529.2 KB · Views: 5
Great stuff Don! Your bride is an awesome woman. Have fun soaking up that warmth and sunshine.

JD338

That's because you were going to Fallon. I've been there. The best thing about visiting was that I got to leave.

So some years back I was scooting across Nevada on Hwy 50, westbound towards Fallon on my motorcycle... Wonderful ride... Everything was calm, peaceful, serene almost...

Then some danged jet-jockey decided a low-level, high speed run was appropriate! YIKES! :)

Ah well, it woke me up for sure.

Guy

So some years back I was scooting across Nevada on Hwy 50, westbound towards Fallon on my motorcycle... Wonderful ride... Everything was calm, peaceful, serene almost...

Then some danged jet-jockey decided a low-level, high speed run was appropriate! YIKES! :)

Guy
I do love me the sound of unruffled turbines.

Guy
I was pushing cows down Del Monte Canyon in Nevada on green horse.

Hated the Chair Force ever since. They used that canyon for low level canyon training. Probably still do.

Vince

On our way home, negotiated Tucson, Phoenix and Las Vegas traffic. About 100 miles north of Vegas on the Great Basin Highway found a little state park. Beautiful spot to spend the night.
Great Basin is a very unique ecosystem, get the chance very much worth the drive.

Attachments

• IMG_8461.jpeg
    IMG_8461.jpeg
    801.2 KB · Views: 7
Back