Had fun with my TC yesterday

R Flowers

Handloader
Oct 23, 2004
I went to the range to shoot one of my TC Contender barrels yesterday.

My dad is going javelina hunting next month and I had loaded him up some shells for his 44 Remington Magnum. However, when he started practicing he realized that at 78 years of age he cannot see the open sights worth a darn.

So, told him I would hook him up with one of my 14 inch TC barrels chambered in 7TCU.
I loaded up some 140 Ballistic Tips with H 4895, mounted a 4X Burris pistol scope and went to the range. Expected velocity about 2050 fps.

I went to the range and sighted the thing in then proceeded to shoot some groups. I was getting consistant five shot groups of 1.25 to 1.5 inches. In each of these groups four of the five would stay under 3/4 of an inch. I was quite pleased, especially with that low powered pistol scope.

The fun came when the guy shooting next to me and I went down to check our targets.
When he saw the groups from that pistol he about had a fit. He was shooting a 30-06 with a 3X9 scope and his groups were over 2 inches every time. He just could not understand how that "pistol" could shoot so good. Those Contenders will shoot!!

RF,

I'm with ya, those Contenders can shoot.
A couple years ago, I was shooting my 7x30 Waters w/ 120 gr BT's.
I shot a .25" group at 100 yds and my buddy was shooting his new 700AWR 300 RUM in the 1.5" range. The look on his face was a Kodak moment.
Ya, those Contenders can shoot..... :grin:

JD338

It is surprising the 1st time :eek: but after that it is somewhat expected :wink: . In the short time I have had this 70-30 it looks like the only variable in accuracy is . . . me. I am shooting the 120 BT's with a hot 36 gns of Re-15 and getting 5 shot groups of right at .641. Not as good as JD but now I have something to "shoot" for. :lol:

Long

Long,

We should have a "shootoff" at the bridge this summer.
Winner buys the bergers!

JD338

Clydes has the best in that area. Course you would have to cross over to Yooper country. :lol:

Long

Long,

I'm a Yooper by marriage, my wife is from Moran. Clyde's Big C, Ive been there once or twice. I'll be up there in May, I've got a new spot to hunt and I am going to do some scouting.

JD338

Back