Hey, this looks interesting!

BK

Handloader
Dec 14, 2008
Just bumping around the Ruger website, looking for something to inspire me to part with some money, and I discovered something I didn't know existed...

http://ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeAlaskan/models.html

HKM77RSBBZ

.375 Ruger Alaskan, but without the silly Hogue stock and stubby barrel... laminate and 23". Somewhat attractive plywood, too. Slap a coat of graphite black Ceracote and a Leupy VX3 1.5-5x or 2.5-8x on that, you'd have a dang fine elk smasher for the PNW. I think I feel my wallet starting to quiver...

17101.jpg

I really was just looking for a .257 Roberts...

BK":2rjx0j9v said:
Just bumping around the Ruger website, looking for something to inspire me to part with some money, and I discovered something I didn't know existed...

http://ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeAlaskan/models.html

HKM77RSBBZ

.375 Ruger Alaskan, but without the silly Hogue stock and stubby barrel... laminate and 23". Somewhat attractive plywood, too. Slap a coat of graphite black Ceracote and a Leupy VX3 1.5-5x or 2.5-6x on that, you'd have a dang fine elk smasher for the PNW. I think I feel my wallet starting to quiver...

17101.jpg

I really was just looking for a .257 Roberts...
................Careful there! My Ruger Alaskan with the silly Hogue stock and stubby 20" barrel might take things personal. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doing a side by side chrony comparison between my Alaskan and my friend`s longer barreled African using his Hornady 270 gr factory ammo in both rifles at the range, that stubby 20" Alaskan barrel averaged to within 65 fps of his African. Maybe the game will notice that 65 fps increase?

For my big hands though, the Hogue is quite nice, very durable and non slippery. Seems to absorb the recoil better too............Those silly Hogues :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Kurt,

That is a nice looking rifle. The VX-3 2.5-8x36mm is just about perfect for anything you would hunt with a 375 Ruger.

JD338

BK, that's a good looking rifle. Always have liked Ruger 77's. That one appears ready to battle huge grizzly, giant moose or the nasty weather of the Pacific Northwest!

'Squeeze, I'm glad you took that somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I'm not a big fan of Hogue riflestocks, but some seem to like them. Ballistically, the 20" isn't that much different than a 23", I just like a little bit longer barrel. Balance and all that. You being just a little guy ('only' 6'3", right? :) ), I'm sure you understand matching barrel length to height. Alright, alright, just funnin' with ya.

In all seriousness, I really like this gun. The previous Alaskans, as I said, didn't do much for me, and I read enough reports of the walnut stock on the Africans splitting, it made me a little nervous. But I suppose Ruger has figured it out by now

BK":1xt6xygy said:
'Squeeze, I'm glad you took that somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I'm not a big fan of Hogue riflestocks, but some seem to like them. Ballistically, the 20" isn't that much different than a 23", I just like a little bit longer barrel. Balance and all that. You being just a little guy ('only' 6'3", right? :) ), I'm sure you understand matching barrel length to height. Alright, alright, just funnin' with ya.

In all seriousness, I really like this gun. The previous Alaskans, as I said, didn't do much for me, and I read enough reports of the walnut stock on the Africans splitting, it made me a little nervous. But I suppose Ruger has figured it out by now
......................You`d be surprised at just how well balanced the Alaskan is.

Yep! She`s good looking. It is basically a stainless/laminated stock version of the Ruger African. Same mechanics and same OAL as the African, just in a different flavor.

You know....
That and a 300 wsm can take care of everything!

FOTIS":1p7jg6k0 said:
You know....

Yep..my two primary rifles are a 48 in .300WSM and a Ruger .375 Alaskan. I like the lines on the new rifle but the 20" is a little handier in the thick stuff. Never been a fan of the Hogue stock but it gets the job done in a clumsy and clubby sort of way. Eventually I'll have MPI make something for it- but I'll have more in the stock than the rifle....

That was an interesting find that the 20" model only looses 65fps. I'd have thought it more than that. Some folks up here have been reloading the .375R with RL-17 with great accuracy and velocity. Which is darn convienent since my WSM loves RL-17 too.

FOTIS":26gvbirb said:
You know....
................Then I`ll take that as a compliment..... :lol:

But let`s forget about my long ranged hammer sitting in-between the 300 WSM and 375 Ruger either....... :lol:

hodgeman":24iiuszr said:
FOTIS":24iiuszr said:
You know....

That was an interesting find that the 20" model only looses 65fps. I'd have thought it more than that. Some folks up here have been reloading the .375R with RL-17 with great accuracy and velocity. Which is darn convienent since my WSM loves RL-17 too.
..................Only a 3" difference in barrel length. Losing 65 fps (or 21.66 fps per inch) should not be surprising.

My `lil 300 WSM Ruger compact, only lost on average from 16.4 to 19.5 fps per inch of shorter barrel length when using the same identical loadings vs two other 24" barreled 300 WSMs.

50 fps per inch as the old school thinking might go, imo, doesn`t really apply too much any more with most rounds.

beretzs":vbxmw2o2 said:
Very nice rifle Kurt! When are you getting yours? Scotty

We'll see, Scotty. I'm pretty notorious for my short attention span. By the time I fly home again, I may be looking for a .17 Fireball... or a Sharps .50!

I think a M70 would be a sweet 375 as well. Maybe not as weather resistant as the Ruger but man, those M70's just feel very nice in the hands. Scotty

Big Squeeze":2etazdbm said:
FOTIS":2etazdbm said:
You know....

But let`s forget about my long ranged hammer sitting in-between the 300 WSM and 375 Ruger either....... :lol:

BS- how is your big 338 doing? Havent heard too much about it. Have you got to wring it out? Scotty

beretzs":2pkclrkh said:
Big Squeeze":2pkclrkh said:
FOTIS":2pkclrkh said:
You know....

BS- how is your big 338 doing? Havent heard too much about it. Have you got to wring it out? Scotty
........................Yep. 338 is a doing fine. Playing with H1000 and Retumbo using the Hornady 225s. Next on the list is to get some 300 gr Berger VLDs and do some loadings with those.

That thing is loads of fun. Always seems to attract a few spectators from their benches for some strange reason. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Especially at the range when taking a few pot shots at large boulders and tree stumps way above the targets close to the top of the ridge which lasers from 490 to 532 yards. :shock:

FOTIS":2qu5zlu9 said:
You know....

Seriously? Two rifles? Heck, I can't seem to get by with only two 7mm or .300 magnums! :)

Back