hornady sst bullets.

Sas874runner":2csfeoi0 said:
what are your experience losing these bullets
I've lost plenty of the 300 grain .45 caliber edition out of my muzzleloader, after passing through deer. Depending on placement, results ranged from dropping in their tracks to a 50-yard sprint followed by a collapse. Invariably, however, the deer died.

Unfortunately, I haven't taken anything other than paper with center fire calibers. They do group well, though.

They are devastating on Antelope out of a .270 wsm. Never found them through antelope. I also witnessed a neck shot on a spike elk. He dropped instantly but required a second shot. I found the original bullet. It was smashed up pretty good and had separated but performed very well. Oh and they are laser accurate!

I would compare them to the BT. Accurate and frangible with a decent BC. I think the Interlocks are a bit stouter probably due to the lack of a wedging tip.

CatskillCrawler":35rzj4yr said:
I would compare them to the BT. Accurate and frangible with a decent BC. I think the Interlocks are a bit stouter probably due to the lack of a wedging tip.

Sums it up very well.

I know of two elk that have died from them. One in a single shot in the shoulder that was a pass through at around 300 yds.

Second did the job as well but was surprised at what it was able to do. Only shot was a quartering away and shot was pulled slightly. Busted the hind leg and some kept going making it up to the vitals. Did a lot of damage to that hind leg.

Finishing off shot in the neck did very little damage.

They are very accurate though.

Rem Jim":30z098cg said:
Sas874runner":30z098cg said:
does anyone know how entry and exit wounds compare to the interlock

They are interlocks with a plastic tip ! :) RJ

I agree although they are "softer" in my experience.

Guys in our crew used them years ago and they were terribly explosive. But, recent reports seem to have them being tougher. Not sure if/how hornady made them tougher but it seems like they have.

longwinters":gnd3hfqu said:
SST's are not Interbonds. Like previously said they are more like a BT.

Long

And in my experience the BT's are tougher.

I would agree that the BT is tougher. The SST definitely leaves some bloodshot meat. I have chosen the BT for my hunting. They both kill plenty fast though.

I read an article about the design of them a few years back and it claimed that Hornady went to the drawing board for the SST bullet with one thing in mind................Whitetail Deer................ and the perfect bullet for hunting them . So this bullet is really their idea of what a bullet should do to dispatch deer sized game effectively .
It was never ment to be a Big Bear, Moose or Elk bullet though as some of the boys have stated it has worked successfully on them. I have found them to work excellent for deer here in Maine and never had a problem with them , I shot Nosler Solid Base for around twenty years, and then switched over to BT when the quit making the SB, so a few years ago I tried the SSTs, and have been using them in both my 270/06 rifle ever since, they work flawlessly on deer sized game. I felt like the animals I have shot with them; show more bloodshot damage further away from the wound channel, than I was used to with the BT, or the Solid Base Bullets. You definatley get quite an impressive "thud" reported back to you, off the animal you hit with them, and I have seen some very nasty areas, inside of deer we shot with them, my take is that they kill like crazy,and are dependable. But I would say if your "meat conscious"; you may not like the amount of bloodshot area you will likely see when using them. That is really not a concern of mine , as much as dispatching the animal as quickly as possible, and to that they are Execellent. imho.
e

Check out my two 277 cal bullet tests in the bullet test area. I tested 150g SSTs against various other bullets at different speeds in the 270 Win in wet newspaper.

I have used lots of 150g SST in my 270 on lots of pigs, a few goats and deer. Also a few 130 grainers. IME they are softer than the Interlock. They kill very quickly, but if you will be shooting raking shots or rear end shots on pigs running away, the heavier weights work better.

I shot a large boar with the 130g SST in the ham as he broke from cover. He was about 100kg. A good solid hit it was too from about 30 metres and it didn't even check his stride. I then got a side on running shot at him from about 70m which hit him in the shoulder and that killed him.

After that I switched to the 150g version and it does much better in such instances. Much of my pig hunting is done this way, walking them up where they break from nearby from cover.

My testing and use on game has proven to me the Nosler BT are a tougher bullet in 277 and 30 cal. The SST only costs about 60% of what the BT does however in my part of the world.

For the most part these days I shoot mainly Interlocks for bulk cull work and practice, and Nosler Partitions for trophy hunting or where deep penetration is required. The SST can also fill much the same role as the Interlock but it won't hold together quite as well, not that that matters in many instances.

Sorry for the long winded response!
:)

You certainly have a lot of experience on hogs so I'm sure your input is appreciated. I would likely do the same as you for the way I hunt, choose the heavier SST bullet to get better penetration, there is no doubt they will open up properly :)

Back