Interesting or Unique Shots Made on Game

7mmfan

Beginner
Dec 14, 2004
I'd like to pose a question, for our pure enjoyment only and not to see who can boast the most. What are some of the most interesting or unique shots, always within the appropriate ethical boundaries, that you have made or seen made on game animals?

For example, I once shot a whitetail doe in Montana at 150 yards broadside behind the shoulder. At the shot she ran to my right and I fired again dropping her instanly. Upon examination I found one entrance hole about an inch in diameter and two exit holes. I would never say I intended for this to happen on purpose, but I figure strange things like this happen all the time. What say you?

Not to boast but I have made quite a few of these "unique" shots. But one of my favorites is the one you made in the Wyoming high wind at that Ante-goat buck with my Sendero 7 STW. Nice! :)

My other favorite is the 6.5x55 Swede shot that I made on tha antelope doe running away from me at about 200 yds. Texas heart shot at mid stride when her body was stretched out. The 140 gr (nice SD!) Hornady went in a inch above the anus, out the spine, in again the left ear and out again the right eye. Man, it took us a while to figure out the track of this bullet! :lol:

I forgot about that one. She never knew what hit her. Another good one is the time I was coyote hunting in Montana with my friend's 25-06 using 100 grain Ballistic-Tips. We hadn't seen anything all morning and I knew one particular cattle wash we always jumped a coyote out of in the past. I told my buddy if the same coyote jumped out this time I was going to shoot him in the eye. He justed laughed. As we got closer, out jumped the coyote and he ran and stopped at about 250. The gun was sighted in dead on at 300 and I held right even with his jawline at the bottom of his head. At the shot he went down like a ton of bricks. When we got up to him I was very suprised to see the bullet entered in his left eye. Now I did plan on taking him in the head, but you can imagine my suprise when I found out I had "called the shot" so to speak. My friend still tells this story around the campfire.

While my shots are on target in the field, they're nothing to brag about except they hit their mark. At the range is another story where I like to pickoff flies on the targets or aim for an exact corner of a letter or spot on the target that's around a 1/4".

Steve

That's exactly how you get good 147. My uncle used to drive in nails with a 22 long rifle. Said it kept him sharp for big game.

Here's my all time best one, a true fluke. I was hunting mule deer on antlerless permits very late in the season. Had a couple of my buddies along as well [we all had draws] I was with one of these guys when three muley does ran across the road and up the slash about 200 yards away. Two of these does disappeared into a draw, but the third one stood on the rise and turned broadside. I flopped down and put the crosshairs on her chest and touched off my 6.5x55 [140 Partition @ 2760] At the shot, she dropped in her tracks. When my pal and I went up to dress her, imagine our surprise to find a second doe down right behind the first one. She had been standing in the draw and the bullet had severed her spine right above her shoulders. Probably never happen again in a million years, but quite a deal around camp for awhile. Regards Eagleye.

Great story, my daughter did get two prarie dogs once with one shot on her first hunt. She still remembers it.

Years ago, I hunted exclusively with a Win 70 in .243, that my dad had given to me when I started hunting.

I had worked up a really great load using the 85gr Solid Bases. They simply dropped our deer like you turned the switch off. So one evening I was sitting in a windrow and several does started out towards me from across the field. I knew that 200 yds was about it for this particular load so I waited. As it was getting darker thhree of the seven does came on across and the big one I wanted was bringing up the rear. Well she decided that something just wasn't quite right about those bushes, and stopped out about 250yds. I waited and waited, but she just stood there. Well it was getting to be almost to late to shoot when I decided that I would go ahead and take her. With her facing straight to me I held about the center of her neck, which should have put the bullet right into her shoulders and spine. Well at the shot, she comes busting straight to me full speed ahead, and stopped about 75 yds out and turned broadside and looked back from where she just came. I was amazed and figured I missed so I took aim and slipped one through her ribs. She dropped like she should have.

Upon gathering her up, we noticed a 3" or so funnel shaped hole in her rear quarter about just to the left of her tail. At first we thought maybe she had been bitten by a yote, but when we dressed her out, it was evident that the first little pill had gone in just below her spine, and exited her rump with out doing anything in between. That was the first time I had ever seen that particular bullet go that far before really opening up. I actually expected the first shot to pretty much destroy the chest cavity between the shoulder and neck. However the end result was the same and not nearly as messy.

Really good example. I'm also familair with that dead spot between the top of the lungs and spine, but never have had such an extreme response. Thanks for the story.

Brad

really old topic but i got a good one

was whitetail hunting with my dad and a buck jumped out abotu a hundred yard in front of us down the hill a little bit

my dad not wanting to ruin any meat shot it in the head, dropped like a rock

couldnt fnd a single hole, anywhere

get back to camp and see a little bit of blood trickling in the ear

as far as we can figure it went in the ear and out the eye socket, but didnt touch the eye. cut the horns off the head and no brains to speak of
the preassure must of blown everything out the eye, then the eye popped back in

craziest thing ive ever seen hunting

another one was the antelope doe that was shot in the neck 3 times with a 300 mag at 50 yards that never moved, just stood there, 4th shot took the top of her head off, flew 75-100 feet in the air and landed about 25-30 feet from us

another one was the antelope doe that was shot in the neck 3 times with a 300 mag at 50 yards that never moved, just stood there, 4th shot took the top of her head off, flew 75-100 feet in the air and landed about 25-30 feet from us

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

the worst part about that one was that when she dropped into the snow and started to spasm, her legs started kicking s oit spun in a circle 3 or 4 times, with no brains all of the blood was spraying out the head

left like a 10 foot circle of blood spray in the snow

i was like 14 and thaught it was the coolest thing ever, my aunt almost gagged over it

Me and my buddy honed our skill during off-season by sniping ground squirrels at extreme distances. One day it was still early enough in the morning and we were just barely warming up with a couple of close shot when one lone squirrel presented itself at a measured distance of 523 yards. It was my turn to spot for him so I bump the magnification of my Burris Signature at 32X to see exactly what about to happen. My buddy was shooting his 243 loaded with 87 grain V-max. At the shot, I saw the dust exploded in front of the squirrel. I thought it's a clean miss but when the dust settled , I saw the squirrel twirling around like tops. I told my buddy that he missed and that, all he did was splashed the squirrel with dirt. "No way he said I think I hit it". Nope, I said, it's a missed and that the squirrel was still there. During all this time, while me and my buddy were arguing whether or not it's a hit or a missed, we didn't realized that a Coyote was sneaking in to grabbed our squirrel. He made a big mistake though because we notice him on time before he could do it. One shot from my buddy 243 dropped the Coyote dead.

My buddy did hit the squirrel...... on the front leg :lol:

Many moons ago deer hunting in the state of Maine I crested a tree covered hill and jumped a herd of approximately 10-12 deer. At the time both does or bucks could be taken. I swung on a doe and fired. The deer dropped like a sack of potatoes. Distance was roughly 30 yards. I approached the deer and noticed about 4 inches of spine taken out. I backtracked my shot and found that the bullet (165 grain Sierra gameking in a 30.06)went through a three inch sapling before it struck the deer. The deer was roughly 2-3 feet behind the sapling. Thought about that for a bit and realized how lucky I was to get the deer.

A few years back I was hunting with a friend when he pointed to coyote running down hill and said shoot him. So I did. The bullet ( 90 gr sierra fmj) hit him in the back of the head and came out his left eye and he tumbled six or seven times before stopping. You had to be there.

The most dramatic kill I ever saw was on a 200 lb 9 pt WT deer. I shot this buck in a cedar swamp at 40 yds on open morning in MI's UP.
Frosty morning, I heard him comming for about 10 minutes. He was cruising and looking for a hot doe.
When he entered my shooting lane, he quartered away towards the doe in heat I had put on a small rag and tied to a branch. I shot him with my 338 RUM and a 250 gr PT tight behind the right shoulder.
At the shot, he reared up, spun 180 degrees and fell over dead!

JD9ptWTDeer2003.jpg

Note the rag with the doe in heat above the deer.

JD338[/img]

A friend of mine shot a big Zebra stallion, it dropped at the shot, after climbing the hill it was halfway up we checked for the shot placement but could find nothing, not even a spec of blood.

We took pictures and went back to fetch the Land Cruiser and as we got back the stallion got up and started running, we were stunned, luckily we managed to drop it again.

Still we could only find one bullet hole and one exit hole. Bizarre!!

I have two interesting stories. First one was a whitetail doe I shot with a .308 150gr silvertip at 35yds. Shot her in the heart and she did a completed forward somersault and landed the same direction she was going. Very unexpected. Second story....... Shot a young buck with my bow and made 4 holes in it with one arrow. Hit it high in the spine it deflected came out the gut area rehit the deer in the hind leg its leg pushed the arrow back through the chest cavity and the knock out the chest wall. Deer was so dead. Severed the artery under the spine and hit the femoral artery and took out both lungs. I am still at a loss.

The beat all story for me, is when I was whitetail hunting in Northern Wisconsin. We were making a drive on Thanksgiving, to try and fill some doe tags. I here a shot up by the drivers. When I get to the end of the drive, my dad is standing by this dead doe, laughing. I asked what's up? Dad said, he was following a doe through his scope and at the point he decided to take her, a 5 inch diameter popple tree jumped in the way. Sure enough, there was a popple tree with a perfect hole in it and it had a bulging split, with a doe lying dead 5 yards on the other side. So he shot through the tree, and hit the doe after. I wanted to keep the tree, but was worried about getting a fine for cutting timber in national forest. 7mm RM 175 gr Remington Premier

Regrading the allegded Dead spot in a deer- I guy I work with swears that his mother in law shot a buck last fall that had an arrow laying just under the spine, braod head pointed forward, and that given the ammount of infection swelling in the area it must have been there for several days. Frpm tip to knock the arrow was not visible from the outside. Fed the meat to the dogs as he was obviously ill from the arrow. Again, not my story beut interesting non the less. CL

Back