Jeep Wrangler hunting vehicle

Nice Jeep you have, Guy. Enjoy!
I use my TJ for hunting and ranching. And, I take it to the office on occasion. Brings out the kid in me. :mrgreen:

First update in a few months:

Ring gear bolts apparently were bad. Rear diff failed. :evil:

However the shop that did the instal stood behind their work and fixed it for me for free, then helped me upgrade the rear from a limited slip to an air locker at a very reasonable price. :grin: So now there are air lockers front and rear on the little Jeep:

And, my 265/75/16 BFG All Terrains were getting quite well worn. Enough so that I was worried about my upcoming 2500 mile trip through Washington, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, and of course for November hunting here in Washington state. So, off with the old shoes and on with the new. Went one size bigger, 285/75/16 Toyo MT tires. It's about a 33x11.50 and works great on my 16x9" rims. Much more aggressive tread pattern than the older BFG's. I expect fuel economy to suffer a bit and the ride won't be as nice, but I truly ought to have excellent off-pavement traction. To help with winter traction on and off pavement I had the tires siped - something I've done often and with good results.

I think Stubs is pretty well set for hunting season and winter weather.

Guy

Now you just need to camo it. :)
I'm enjoying reading the progress. You're fortunate that the shop stood behind their work. Enjoy her as she looks like a beauty and has the ability to lead you far astray.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Have been enjoying the Jeep this winter.

Photo from this past weekend:

My son's Jeep:

A friend's Jeep:

And that is what they are built to do! Great pictures that inspire the sedentary, Guy!

On the way home today, found a rock in the road... No, I didn't try to climb over it with the Jeep!

Used it all today... Low Range, mud tires, lockers front and rear... got through the drifts though!

Man Guy the changes you made sure look to be spot on for good practical use! Those Toyo's are great tires and I personally think the siping is a very good call too! Great pictures by the way!

Great looking Jeep.
You're making me reassess my view of Jeep.
Right now I'm running a Tundra and an FJ Cruiser.

Toyota makes a great 4x4 rig, always has. I like the Tundra, though it's a little big for my needs. Lots of power...

I was real interested in the FJ Cruiser until I drove a late-model Jeep Wrangler (2012 and up) with the 285 hp Pentastar V6. Oh my goodness, what a nice little motor! Good power, easy driving, decent fuel economy. And I love taking the top off the Jeep too. Could do that to the FJ Cruiser, with a Sawzall! :mrgreen:

Up high yesterday, here in the Cascades, with my Jeep driving buddy, Rich:

Long, rough climb to get there! Had both of us down in 1st & 2nd gear, low range...

Guy

I'll stick with the Tundra and FJ.
Got one of each.
The Tundra pulls the horse trailer and the FJ goes places the Tundrs can only dream of but both go more places than a Chevy. :)

The place I used to work had an FJ. I can see the appeal, but for me, as a pretty tall guy, it just didn't work. Trying to see traffic lights in town quickly became a literal pain in the neck.

BK":2uidjhjl said:
The place I used to work had an FJ. I can see the appeal, but for me, as a pretty tall guy, it just didn't work. Trying to see traffic lights in town quickly became a literal pain in the neck.
This is where my height, or lack of, is beneficial. [emoji2]

BK":3kj97750 said:

You should have seen me jammed up in my old 77 CJ5 Kurt.... I did love that Jeep though.

Guy

Great picture as always, it it normal for you to have been able to drive to that spot at this time of the year? How about sn\ow amounts. That jeep is going to be great in Oregon, my 4 Wheeler is crowded with two.

Elkman":29igxv3h said:
Guy

Great picture as always, it it normal for you to have been able to drive to that spot at this time of the year? How about sn\ow amounts. That jeep is going to be great in Oregon, my 4 Wheeler is crowded with two.

It'll get a good workout around Mt. Emily, that is for certain... Be neat to see it loaded down with a bunch of quarters... :grin:

Back