Lightweight 270 finished up and off to nitride!!

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
All the machine work is done, the metal is off to nitride. Should be done soon! Looks like it will be well under 6 pounds sans glass. Rings and glass ought to bring it up to 6.75 pounds or do. Should be about perfect.

01c31896024ebee55aea3b352e02507d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Build specs

Remington 700 lightened
Pacnor featherweight 1-8 24" fluted
Wildcat composites ultralight stock 17.5 oz
Will have 4.5-14x40 30mm CDS in talley's

The donor was a camo dipped 30/06 that got left with the barrel sitting in salt water too long, completely ruining the barrel. I got it for practically nothing and cut it down to shed dime weight. Was able to shave down over 4 oz from the action.

1af156461f0e2eb77e71a942eea11f3e.jpg

e660635453e5ddfad829c7a8b2152d33.jpg

That will be a joy to carry when it is finished. Is there a craftsman locally that does the metal finish?

We send the metal out to be nitrided to H&M metals, everything that can't be nitrided gets cerakoated locally.

I'm curious about nitride... what are some advantages over cerakote?

It is THE best when the weather gets nasty. It's a metal treatment not a coating, it's very tough, it can't scratch off, you actually have to remove the metal to get it off. Since it doesn't build up you can do any steel part without clearance issues, including the bore. Stainless or chrom moly both come out black so can do moly action and stainless barrel and both turn flat black. Because all the metal is treated, even the threaten section of a barrel or action screws and threads, there is nowhere for rust to creep in.

A buddy of mine did his chromemoly action stainless barrel in 458 lott, guided with it all year, even around salt water, and never did anything but wipe if off with a towel, end of the year no rust.

I accidentally left my 300 RUM in my 4 wheeler scabbard two years ago after harvesting a moose, in the thrush to get it processed I spaced getting it out until a week later. When I pulled it out water ran out of the scabbard, the only rust on my rifle was the scope ring screws, everything nitrided was perfectly fine.

I guess you could say I'm sold on nitride.

9 years of hard hunting with this rifle, it's on its 3 paint job on the stock, but metal is still perfect
00155be2c5b36d5c82d49aec7cc37c28.jpg

That's going to be awesome Bear. I dig the thought of a light, fast twist 270 Win.

Thanks for the info! That sounds perfect for my .300WSM build- I just want an ugly, black, bulletproof rifle for hard hunting.

That .270 is going to be nice!

$400, you take the trigger apart and do the individual pieces

That is very nice Bear, how long did they take to treat the rifle/metal? I'm thinking of doing a build, would there be any advantage to a stainless barrel over a chrome moly?

That will definitely be a joy to carry.

I don't remember how long it took last time but around a couple weeks, I'll let you know when I get this one back.

I don't think there is a big difference either way as to stainless vs CM. I tend to use stainless whenever possible. Either will have the same black finish after nitride.

Back from nitride, rifle sans scope 5 pounds 9.8 ounces. I little over my 5.5 pound goal but close enough to not complain. I'll get the scope mounted up and get some better pictures tonight and I'll get out and shoot it this weekend.

a1dea61d61aab7cbc83ddce624c005a6.jpg

Looks great Bear. Nothing like a lightweight 270.. I bet it'll make quick load work for you.

Here is a quick pic with scope mounted. Going to put together a few loads together, hopefully get it out this weekend.

46a425d520c01940ffc644b53812a21f.jpg

Looks to be a pretty sweet setup. No doubt it will serve you well. I'm looking forward to seeing your efforts as you wring it out at the range.

Very nice! Now I'm excited to get my M70 down to Steve for a custom 300WSM.

Really like the looks of it and like your choice of cartridge and barrel. Talk about a well thought out mountain rifle. Will be neat to see what loads end up working for you.

Back