Likin' my 257 Roberts!

CatskillCrawler":273x0kf4 said:
Good story and pics. Great to see your girls out with you. Their smiles don't look forced whatsoever.

Glad to see you've built up your confidence with that rifle after your father's disappointing results. Sounds like it did a very humane job on that nice doe. I'm hoping for the same type of performance from the 115gr NPs in my Bob.

I was out in Pa that morning too and it was way too warm for my liking. Beautiful day, just not the usual hunting weather. Tuesday made up for it by being absolutely nasty. Good luck with your remaining tag.

Filled the remaining tag yesterday morning. I had the 257 with me, but couldn't get shots at the decent deer I'd see....I was hunting in a fairly thick area.

Then this little one decided to come by at 22 yards, and I sat out the 257 and took the 357 instead... ;)

357.jpg

Very cool, great shooting Tom! Seems the little 357 had plenty of juice! What is the load you are shooting out of it? Scotty

beretzs":yljycba0 said:
Very cool, great shooting Tom! Seems the little 357 had plenty of juice! What is the load you are shooting out of it? Scotty

Whatever my father had for it, lol.

They were 125gr jacketed soft points (flat points, not hollowpoints). Went through both shoulders and out the other side. I don't know if it was factory or reloads. I think factory....I can find out when I see him later on today.

beretzs":3udbpkc7 said:

Plain ol' yellow-box Remington-UMC factory ammo with 125 jacketed softpoints (flat, not hollow). Box told me nothing more than that.

The guy I gave the deer to told me that the exit wound was about the size of a nickel and the meat was bloodshot in a 6" circle around both the entrance and exit wounds.

By the by, this one makes (including out of state whitetails and sika deer) my 65th deer. This is also my 25th hunting season. I think I'm going to send in for another tag to be able to hunt afther Christmas with my girls. I don't know that I'll be too anxious to pull the trigger, and I won't do any morning hunts, as I won't wake them up to go out in the cold in the mornings, lol.

Might take the flintlock, too. Just gotta be sure to sit the kids to my LEFT if I do that .... :)

New tag is purchased....but girls will be gone tomorrow to see their aunt (wife's sister) at college.

Tomorrow's the end of rifle season and then no deer hunting till after Christmas. The kids and I are off between the holidays, though, so I think I'll get them out a few times then.

Headed to hunt sika's later on next week, though. Not sure if we'll get into any, but it'll be a hoot either way. And as far in as Scotty's gotten Noslers with me, I won't have any with me on that trip. Shooting 200gr CLRN bullets in a 35 Rem for my rifle selection, and Remington/Brenneke foster slugs and 00 buckshot in the 870.

By the by, Scotty.....if you took note, Dad is shooting BT's in his 7-08, wasn't thrilled with them, and I got him to buy a box of PT's for it. So your "corruption" is spreading.... ;)

tddeangelo":19xdb5xp said:
New tag is purchased....but girls will be gone tomorrow to see their aunt (wife's sister) at college.

Tomorrow's the end of rifle season and then no deer hunting till after Christmas. The kids and I are off between the holidays, though, so I think I'll get them out a few times then.

Headed to hunt sika's later on next week, though. Not sure if we'll get into any, but it'll be a hoot either way. And as far in as Scotty's gotten Noslers with me, I won't have any with me on that trip. Shooting 200gr CLRN bullets in a 35 Rem for my rifle selection, and Remington/Brenneke foster slugs and 00 buckshot in the 870.

By the by, Scotty.....if you took note, Dad is shooting BT's in his 7-08, wasn't thrilled with them, and I got him to buy a box of PT's for it. So your "corruption" is spreading.... ;)

Nice! Sounds like a blast Tom. I like the 35 Rem and that Remington bullet. Performed pretty well in the tests I did with it and it is legendary in the Northern woods.

I think your Dad will like the 140 PT. I would like to try them or the 150's in the 7mm Mauser in the future after the rifle is up and running.

If that is being corrupted, well, I will take it everytime!

Alright, back to the bench, working on break in loads for the 300WSM! Scotty

Featherweight. Had an EW on layaway but swapped it due to the Featherweight I found. Scotty

beretzs":19pzl6nw said:
Featherweight. Had an EW on layaway but swapped it due to the Featherweight I found. Scotty

Good deal!

The weight difference between the two isn't much, if any at all (as I recall). I can't remember if the EW had a longer barrel or not, though.

The current load I'm shooting is a 180PT with 64.5gr H4350 and the bullet out real close to the lands (I'd have to look at home to know the exact length I settled on). That was the best shooting load with the AB's, too. RL22 was NOT a champ with that rifle, lol.

I want to try RL19 when we get past the seasons and the ranges calm down.

I am starting out with RL19 and 180gr BT's. My hopes are that if I get a decent load started with the 180gr BT, it should be an easy transition to AB's. Not always the case, but it should get me in the ball park and allow me to get the rifle broke in decently to see how it wants to shoot.

I am also looking at RL17 and 4350's too. If my past with RL19 holds true though, I can't see me moving much past it. It usually works pretty well for me when used in suitable applications. I do see there is room for a 3.00" OAL length. Not sure how long the throat on the rifle is, as I loaded my first rounds to 2.865. Again, they are just beginning loads and should be decent enough to see what the rifle is made of. I am really looking forward to working with the rifle. With the way it handles, I am sure it'll get used. Scotty

beretzs":2q7w9fyn said:
I am starting out with RL19 and 180gr BT's. My hopes are that if I get a decent load started with the 180gr BT, it should be an easy transition to AB's. Not always the case, but it should get me in the ball park and allow me to get the rifle broke in decently to see how it wants to shoot.

I am also looking at RL17 and 4350's too. If my past with RL19 holds true though, I can't see me moving much past it. It usually works pretty well for me when used in suitable applications. I do see there is room for a 3.00" OAL length. Not sure how long the throat on the rifle is, as I loaded my first rounds to 2.865. Again, they are just beginning loads and should be decent enough to see what the rifle is made of. I am really looking forward to working with the rifle. With the way it handles, I am sure it'll get used. Scotty

With an AB/BT you'll get OAL out that long. You won't with PT's, I don't think.

I think my PT load is 2.890, but I could be wrong. They can't go out much further, though, or they go in snug when closing the bolt handle.

The mag length did limit me somewhat on the AB's. I don't think I could put them out to the lands all the way. The PT's I can.

Pay attention to your trim length, too. Mine wants it a bit shorter than "book".

Thanks for the heads up Tom. It is nice to have the extra length in the mag in order to push the bullets out a little further. It should almost assure that I'll find something I want. I have some 200gr PT's so if I can, I may load some of those as well.

I spent the morning resizing dented necks, trimming, chamfering, and deburring flash holes in the WW cases. They were pretty terrible compared to the Nosler brass I have become used to! I had one that was so bad in the neck, I just trashed it. Ah well, when I get a chance, I will jump on some 2nds. Scotty

beretzs":2tn9g6zg said:
Thanks for the heads up Tom. It is nice to have the extra length in the mag in order to push the bullets out a little further. It should almost assure that I'll find something I want. I have some 200gr PT's so if I can, I may load some of those as well.

I spent the morning resizing dented necks, trimming, chamfering, and deburring flash holes in the WW cases. They were pretty terrible compared to the Nosler brass I have become used to! I had one that was so bad in the neck, I just trashed it. Ah well, when I get a chance, I will jump on some 2nds. Scotty

Yeah, I had credit from Winchester from the bad brass in the ammo I bought. I was going to buy brass, but it looked ROUGH!

I bought a brick of primers instead. :)

tddeangelo":31h693lw said:
Yeah, I had credit from Winchester from the bad brass in the ammo I bought. I was going to buy brass, but it looked ROUGH!

It was quite rough Tom. Took me awhile to straighten it out to where I wanted it. Thinking I will change up to something else in the future. Scotty

beretzs":11t9i7zy said:
tddeangelo":11t9i7zy said:

It was quite rough Tom. Took me awhile to straighten it out to where I wanted it. Thinking I will change up to something else in the future. Scotty

I actually think it would be half-decent if they'd pack it in something better than what amounts to the same kinda bag a loaf of bread comes in. I bet the mashed case mouths would be gone!

I filled my Cabela's wish list on their shopping site with Nosler brass for all my calibers. I'd be tickled if Santa let me switch totally to Nosler. ;)

The mashing likely comes from the final tumble as they are polishing the brass. There seems to be little denting from the bags. Norma now packages their brass in similar bags, and the denting is not at all noticeable.

My FN actioned .257 Roberts is a full length. long action, so, I can seat the bullets out as far as I wish. So far I have been setting COAL at the length needed to seat Partitions bases to the bottom of the neck and assure sufficient bearing surface to shoot straight. When I get some 110 Accubonds and Nosler brass I will start working on seating lengths and accuracy.

Rumor has it that I can get 3100 fps out of the 110 AccuBond in the Roberts with 100V Hodgdon powder. I am going to have to test this hypothesis as the weather permits..

I have to chrono my load, but my best guess is abotu 2700fps.

I shot a pretty big doe tonight with that load. Girth chart estimates the live weight from 165-180lbs. I shot her at 150 yards, clipped the top of the heart, knocked her down, she scrabbled away and packed it in at about 40 yards from where I shot her.

Lungs were in pieces, the heart lifted out with no need for a knife, the exit hole was about the size of a quarter.

Would be cool to get 3100, Charlie, but it sure doesn't seem necessary! :)

Back