Long Range lunch shoot-out...

Songdog

Handloader
Apr 6, 2009
Took a little time this morning to head out scouting antelope with a pard of mine. On the way into Grover we decided to have a little shoot-out to decide who would pay for the Green Chili burgers and Cokes. The bet was this..... 5-shots total, distances from 300-700 yards, field conditions, 45 seconds to get the shot off..... most hits wins... tie breaker most 'white hits' followed by smallest group... if it got that far.

So I painted-up the awesome 12"x18" JC Steel Target in marker orange with a 5.5" white center square, we pounded in a T-Post, and hung her up.

I was shooting the trusty Sendero Special 7mm Rem. Mag wearing a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 in Talleys, running 162 Amax at 3100....

I don't need no stinking laminated drop/wind chart....

Pard was running a Rem. PSS in .300 RUM, SS 10x, 208 Amax at 3000. Ballistically they are pretty much identical... so it was really a wind game today. Wind was tough, 6-18mph from anywhere between 11 o'clock and 3 o'clock... and a couple of the shots were across a pretty good valley (which I believe led to the two high shots, both from the .300).

Shots were fired from (yds): 322, 435, 545, 607, 702. We both used the 9-15" Harris Bi-pods up front, with our backpacks as rear rests.... and I'm still picking cactus out of miscellaneous places...

Here are the results (7RM in black, .300 RUM in orange):

7 RM put 3-shots in the white (322, 435, 607) with the low one because of a turret error on my part. The shot at 702 hit a couple of inches into the wind, gave it about 1/2 minute too much. I dialed for 500 on the shot what was 545, not paying attention, or it would have caught the white too. The 5-shots went 5.5", with the worst miss being 4.5" low/right of dead center.

.30 RUM put 2-shots in the white (322, 435). The 5-shots went 5.75", and his worst miss was 4" high/right of dead center. On the last 3-shots (545, 607,702) we were shooting over a ridge with a 10-15mph wind coming at us from about 2:00. I figured the ridge would cause a pretty decent up-draft because it was perpendicular to the wind.... so I knocked a click (1/2 MOA) off on the last 3... and they were money (except for the whole 500/545 thing). Pard caught on for the last shot, knocked a couple clicks off, and his elevation was perfect.

Couple interesting side notes:

Notice there is NO damage to the steel target at all! This target has taken hundreds of rounds from big azz guns, and shows no wear at all. You can get a couple of these targets with the brackets and hardware for a little over $100... and they will literally last a lifetime. If you want the number shoot me a PM.... it is a very worthy cause as well.

Both of these rifles are factory guns, running $300 glass....

Total group size for all 10-shots was 8.5"... I can easily cover all 10-shots with my hand.

No misses on a 12" wide target in winds up to 18mph.... BC matters!

We both learned a lot doing this little exercise.... and I really enjoyed my free Green Chili burger at the Grover General Store. Hell, I must'a had me about 15 Dr. Peppers....

That's some great shooting! My lunch breaks never go like that?

I just picked up a Mark AR, I would like one on every rifle I own now.

Excellent!

I have NOT been paying enough attention to my long-range rifle shooting. Dang. Need to get back out and shoot some distant targets again.

Guy

Great shooting! Sounds like a great lunch too! Tastes better when there free!

HeathSexton":1fip2azi said:
That's some great shooting! My lunch breaks never go like that?

I just picked up a Mark AR, I would like one on every rifle I own now.

It wasn't a lunch break.... more like reaping the rewards of working my tail off on a huge project for the last couple of months. My business has been tremendously blessed this year, so I get to take some time for my self each week this summer/fall.... good news for me.... bad news for furry stuff.

I agree on the Mark ARs... I have two of them, and buddies of mine have at least another dozen. On a rifle for sub-1k work, like out to 700-800... I think they're probably the best way to go. I think I'll put one on the new .260 when the 'smith gets it all cobbled together, and I have one for the girlfriends .243 when it's ready too. The 1/2" clicks are awesome, the glass is plenty good, the 3-9x40 is a great size, they come with a Mil-Dot, and they're 13oz.... for $350 retail, I paid less than $250 for both of mine. I also have a VX-I 3-9x40 with the duplex and target turrets that I like a lot... but the Mil-Dot is far superior to the duplex when shooting in the wind.

Doc, Guy, Scotty, Pop... thanks for the compliments. I'm pretty fortunate to live somewhere that affords me the opportunities to shoot like this whenever I want. It's fun watching guys shoot as well as my buddy did today... he impressed himself... and most definitely impressed me. Two years ago he'd never shot that rifle over 200 yards... now I wouldn't want to be anywhere inside a grand of that guy. We've spent a couple hundred primers together now... and this is the best I've seen him shoot. He's 64 years old by the way....

Songdog":1f008uf1 said:
Doc, Guy, Scotty, Pop... thanks for the compliments. I'm pretty fortunate to live somewhere that affords me the opportunities to shoot like this whenever I want.

As one who grew up in the great wide open country of trans-Pecos Texas and spent a few years in Montana, Idaho, Utah, and Nevada, I can attest to that! I don't think I could walk a mile in this part of the country (DFW area) without crossing at least five different mens' fences...and probably getting shot at.

SD that is some fine shooting :!: I would have bought lunch just for the lesson I would have received.
Thanks for the report and the photos :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Oh that looks like so much fun. Good shooting on both you and your pards part.

Great shooting from both of you!

Amazing what factory rifles and "cheaper" scopes with little more then handloads are capable of.

remingtonman_25_06":2edgxxty said:
Amazing what factory rifles and "cheaper" scopes with little more then handloads are capable of.

Jorry, I couldn't agree more. I call my 7RM Sendero a "2-MOA Rifle".... meaning: it will consistently pound 2 MOA targets to 1k... provided it's operated correctly. I suspect both guns would shoot 10-20 shots in an inch at 100.... not outstanding, but I'll take 1" 20 shot groups... over one or two half-inchers.

Back