Looking at getting a new Bipod

Too Tall

Handloader
Jul 5, 2011
What size bipod and what brand is everyone using? I carry a lot in a scabbard, so how they mount is important.

I have had a couple different mount type bi-pods. Personally I don't care for them much in the hunting field, and prefer my home made X-sticks. They just seem so much quicker for me, to get into action and level on uneven terrain.
Now if you want a mount type, that's fine by me. But I would get one that suits you, or operates the way you want first. Then have a scabbard built around the system.
Just my 2 cents worth.
dave

I have an older Harris bi-pod that mounts to the front stub. Very steady but its not scabbord friendly.
I also have Pole Cat shooting sticks.

JD338

I like the shooting sticks better myself, or resting the rifle on a pack, or a rolled up jacket or something. Here's a recent photo of my son shooting the .22 off commercial shooting sticks. Really easy to carry folded up on my belt. Shot my bear from the shooting sticks last year at a tad over 300 yards with the .375 H&H. They work real well.

IMG_4805.jpg

A 9-13" swivel type Harris bipod is pretty good, but often useless for shooting from sitting position. The taller Harris (24 or 25" I think?) is pretty good for use from sitting, but a hunter has to put up with the weight and bulk of the bipod. It's all a trade-off.

I'm really happiest with my sling, and the ability to use an improvised rest, or maybe the shooting sticks.

Guy

Guy Miner":1huzwn64 said:
I like the shooting sticks better myself, or resting the rifle on a pack, or a rolled up jacket or something. Here's a recent photo of my son shooting the .22 off commercial shooting sticks. Really easy to carry folded up on my belt. Shot my bear from the shooting sticks last year at a tad over 300 yards with the .375 H&H. They work real well.

IMG_4805.jpg

A 9-13" swivel type Harris bipod is pretty good, but often useless for shooting from sitting position. The taller Harris (24 or 25" I think?) is pretty good for use from sitting, but a hunter has to put up with the weight and bulk of the bipod. It's all a trade-off.

I'm really happiest with my sling, and the ability to use an improvised rest, or maybe the shooting sticks.

Guy

I have a set of those same sticks. Not too heavy and easily put into action if needed. Scotty

I too have the old style Harris which extend from 6"-14" and attach to the front swivel stud. As Guy said they are in no way scabbard friendly but they sure are steady prone or bench shooting. I have used them to make several nice long range shots. I recommend them highly.

I've almost bought more kinds of bipods over the years than any other acessory. I still havn't because I couldn't decide what height and do I want to carry the weight. I got some shooting stix and have used them for a season and was very happy with the results. I missed the deer but I did it from a rock steady rest on those sticks. I guess the biggest thing has been height. A lot of times I just cant see over the sage brush to sit and need an almost standing position. The stix do that. I would like to get a bi-pod for my 243 for sitting but I'm not sure which kind. What might you all suggest.
Thanks
Greg

JD338":3lnac1a5 said:
I have an older Harris bi-pod that mounts to the front stub. Very steady but its not scabbord friendly.
I also have Pole Cat shooting sticks.

JD338

I have the identical set up!

The shorter Harris bi-pod is one the best shooting accessories I've spent money on. I've used it a lot, especially while shooting from the bench and for p-dogs. Like others here have expressed, I know it won't work for many of the shots we take while hunting big game, but it can be indispensible when you can.

I had it on my 7RM for two antelope I've taken, but I couldn't use it for either. An elk at 450 yards turned out to be an easy shot with the bi-pod - one that would have been very hard, one that I wouldn't have taken, without it.

7RM-Rifle-02.jpg

I have purchased lots of sticks and bipods over the years looking for the one that works best for me and here are my favorites.

Stoney point Rapid Pivot bipod. I often carry both the sitting/kneeling model and prone model in my pack for hunts. Together they weigh 19oz. The sitting/kneeling model actually goes high enough for comfortable kneeling shots which I really like in the tall grass I hunt. They remove quickly with a straight pull, and attach quickly with pressure straight on. This makes it work in any scabbard and you can strap the bipod on elsewhere. They have a small adapter that attaches to your rifle's sling stud and include another stud on the adapter. It is to flimsy in my opinion for carrying a slung rifle, so I added another stud behind the original one for the actual sling. I've found that having the bipod lets me use my pack under the buttstock either prone or sitting to really get locked in when I have time. Kneeling I use my knee.

The other one I use alot is the bog-pod system. I have the full height standing tripod, and the 6" to 40" shorter model. I like it the best when not stand hunting because you can go from prone to kneeling comfortably. From a ground blind I like the taller one and a comfortable chair. My favorite thing about this system is that with the right adapters I can use it for my spotting scope, binocs, and rifle eliminating packing extra gear. I've been playing with the short one with my optics and it's not perfect, but it works well enough for me. The short tripod weighs 32oz plus whatever adapters I want. I take it any time I plan to use a tripod glassing, if I don't plan to glass from the tripod I just carry the bipods.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,492
A few more pics of my set-up. I measured my barrel height from kneeling with the longer Rapid pivot bipod fully extended on my 270WSM and it was roughly 40". I love the extra height over standard gun mounted bipods.

View attachment bipod height 001.JPG
I also included a pic of my Bog-Pod with my 10x50 Leupold binoculars set up. I use the bogpod switcheroo head and a Nikon strap-on bino mount. I use this mount because it allows me to unsnap the binos from my harness and strap them in for extended glassing sessions. I have a spare base so the spotting scope goes in the same head. I eventually want to upgrade to Vortex kaibab or Minox 15x60 binos and skip the spotting scope (my hunting partner has one anyway) so we can glass more effectively. I'll get a dedicated tripod mount for the bigger binos, but this one works pretty well. Also bog-pod has a new pistol grip optics head out this year that looks better than mine, but I haven't had my hands on one yet.View attachment bipod height 002.JPG

I have the 25 " Harris that Swivels. Just love the thing. We usually pack into Wilderness leading the Horses and Carry our rifles. Once in Camp we hunt on foot. Since we do that type of hunting the scabbard problem doesn't come into play. I have killed most of my Colorado Big Game shooting prone using this bi-pod.

Don

0906101744a.jpg

0906101744b.jpg

These work real well, and they don't cost a bunch. I got mine used from a fellow in PA.

I thought I had a few more pictures, but I guess I don't, or I can't find them.

I use 9"-13" bi pod, and my son uses the 6"-9" bi pod. I`m thinking about giving a set of shooting sticks a try though.

Interesting bino, tri pod set up you have there Too Tall.

That is 2 spotting scopes mounted in a custom bracket. Use them like binoculars.

Back