Lutefisk!

Hegland

Handloader
Jun 1, 2006
A Norwegian treat!

Procure 2 lbs lutefisk and place in a stainless or glass bowl, covered with water, in the refrigerator. Change the water daily for three to five days. Place in a buttered glass casserole dish and cover tightly. Bake for one hour in a 425 degree oven, or until it flakes with a fork. Drizzle with melted butter.

Serve with mashed potatoes, lefse and a vegetable of your choice.

View attachment IMAG0233.jpg

If anyone's interested, this is north-Atlantic cod, dried and soaked in a lye solution to cure, then reconstituted. The cycling of clean water before cooking helps rinse some of the stench out of it. Some states (two that I know for sure) specifically exempt lutefisk from their toxic substance laws, because it would be illegal if they didn't. And if you use a porous dish of any kind to soak or cook it, you can plan on throwing that dish away.

With this meal, the holidays are now complete! :grin:

I knew it was only a matter of time until someone provided a recipe for lutefisk! :mrgreen: There must be a few norske hunters around here. I love the comment about states exempting lutefisk from toxic substance laws. I can certainly concur with the probability that any porous dish will be discarded after holding lutefisk.

Back