Mannlicher

Africa Huntress

Handloader
Feb 14, 2012
My dad has a few of these, mainly small calibers 6.5 x 54, 6.5 x 55, 7 x 57 type calibers. They are still seen and used in Europe, but I don't see them discussed much in the colonies.

They have the hard to keep accurate label attached to them, and I doubt any one uses them as a walking stick anymore, so was wondering if perhaps you fellows just feel they are to ugly, heavy, or ?

Also there are quite a few members from Canada here and I was also wondering what the Canadian members think of them, as well as our friends from the colonies.

Best Regards

Jamila

I, for one, love the 6.5x55. I used to have a Swedish M38, with a 24" bbl, and I could carry that all day. It balanced well, shot great. I had a 7x57 Mauser with a 29" bbl, and it was a little unwieldy, but fun to shoot as well. They are both great sporting rounds.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

I really like the looks of the Mannlicher stock. I must admit I've never owned one- as you noted they are relatively rare here.

I have heard they suffer from wood warping affected accuracy, but I've heard that for a long time about all kinds of makers for everything with a wood stock. I hunt in some pretty inhospitable weather and I've never had a wood stock change the POI to any noticeable degree. I'd think a properly sealed stock and it'd be a moot point regardless if it went to the muzzle or not.

I think the real reason that they're rare here is that the Mannlicher stock doesn't lend itself to scope use and America became addicted scopes very early on. In sporting rifles, we moved from the black powder era to the lever gun era to the scope era in quick succession....we've never had much history with open sighted bolt guns and stocks like the Mannlicher optimized for their use. Even in the 50s and 60s, open sights on bolt guns were considered back up to the inevitable scope that would be going on it.

America had several stock designs that centered around the scope (Monte Carlo, rollover comb) but stocks like the Mannlicher and hog's back made for open sights were pretty much a European concept.

I've owned one rifle with a Mannlicher stock (a CZ 550 FS chambered in 40-06). I loved the rifle; it was a great bush gun. I sold it, however, in order to pick up one of the 2008 production models of a Winchester Featherweight chambered in 30-06. I wanted that extra 1.5 inches so badly that I was willing to let the CZ go. The three chamberings you mention, April, have a lot of appeal to me. I do own a 7X57 (Winchester Featherweight, natch!) and I would dearly love to pick up a Featherweight chambered in 6.5X55 (are you listening, Scotty?). I would really, really love to find a Mannlicher-Schoenauer in 6.5X54. I'm getting old enough that it wouldn't do me a lot of good, but it doesn't change the desire.

My 6.5 Featherweight is growing on me. Seems like the perfect set up for the 7x57/6.5 Swede cartridges.

A Ruger with the Mannlicher stock in a 250 Savage might by pretty cool as well.

I once had an M/S 6.5x54 carbine. It was stolen out of my pickup truck back in 1975 in Elko Nevada. :x I loved that rifle. After many years of trying to find a decent replacement at an affordable price I bought a Ruger Tang safety M77 RSI. Not perfect but close enough and in .308 took deer quite nicely once I found a load that it liked. Picked up two more, all three quite cheaply as their owners said they were not accurate. Currently I'm playing with a Winchester M70 FWT in 7x57 and having fun. Years back, I did semi-almost have a 6.5x55. I was working with a gunsmith and with hid guidance to a 6.5x55 M38 Swede and made up a neat custom rifle. I had it out in the desert doing a test fire when this guy and his son showed up like the rifle and insisted on buying it. I didn't a lot in it other that time and labor and the Remington 600 Mohawk and was of Benjamins was way too much to turn down. Always wondered how good a hunting round that one would have been?
Paul B.

Hard to beat the action on a Mannlicher Schonauer! Not sure it can be done. My dad brought one home from Germany with the 3/4 stock, double trigger and butterfly knife bolt handle. It cycles like nothing else. The problem with that model was it became too expensive to produce due to the exacting specifications. They do have a rep for being hard to keep accurate, most of that is the full length stocks. Having said that I've had issues with the 3/4 stock. Can't complain though, the stock was older than I am so after so many years some wood/barrel interaction is understandable.

The split bridge on the action is hard to find a suitable mount. I've seen some new ones that I wish had been around when that rifle was new, we would have gone that route instead of the yeager.

Anyway, they are built to the Nth degree of tolerance and if anyone item is not working correctly there will be accuracy issues but, when working there is nothing better or sweeter.

Just my take on them.

Jamila,

My husband loved the Mannlicher Schonauer and had a 6.5 x 54 and 8 x 68. Our son sold one of them and bought a full stock Steyr Classic Mannlicher, I believe it came in 7mm.

I was always going to buy a Mannlicker Duett ( 308 and 12 gauge ), but it never happened and now it never well.

Charles, I think ours came back to the U.S. from Austria.

I think they look pretty neat but just not my pick for a rifle. My understanding is they have very smooth actions. What I do like is the really neat calibers they are chambered in. It would be great to have you put some pictures up of yours.

David

Jamila if your talking about the stock and not the action, then to be honest I don't like them. but I have been told by my grandfather that the action was a good one.

6mm Remington":32trtcak said:
I think they look pretty neat but just not my pick for a rifle. My understanding is they have very smooth actions. What I do like is the really neat calibers they are chambered in. It would be great to have you put some pictures up of yours.

David

My dad used a yeager side mount when he brought it home from over seas. Unfortunately, there was school of thought to raise the scope over the iron sights. That does not lend itself to a good cheek weld so you'll notice the "cheek-n-stock"

DSCN0301.jpg

DSCN3775.jpg

DSCN4798.jpg

I think they're one of the most attractive stocks and make a really nice looking rifle. Currently I like the looks of the CZ, they just look cool.
I think if I somehow pick one up I'll make sure the channel is sealed and hunt it.
A 6.5x54 just screams classic IMO.

While I have never had the opportunity or pleasure of shooting or owning a MS in 6.5 x 54, I have handled a couple at gun shows and love the slick actions. Being a lefty, I just couldn't bring myself to pay the asking price for one.

I love the 6.5 x 55 and have more trigger time with that cartridge than any other, except the 22LR. Waiting foe a Sako Model 85 LH in this cartridge still.

I have a custom Model 77 LH in 376 story in a full length laminated stock that shoots 3/4" groups (vs 1/2" groups with a regular stock) that is fun to shoot and carry. I plan on putting a full length stock on my Model 88 being rebarrelled to 338 Federal as we speak.

I have been looking for a Model 77 RSI in 250-3000 and a No. 1 RSI in 6.5 x 55 (or possibly rebarrel to a 338 RCM!?!?)

The rifle I gave my wife for her wedding present is a Mannlicher Steyr Mountain Classic in 7MM-08 Remington that I got for a steal of a deal, and shoots 1/2" groups with SGK's over IMR 4350 (a load worked up for the rifle for Susan by DrMike). Beautiful little rifle that is a pleasure to shoot!

Thanks to everyone for their replies

Dr Mike, hope you find one

Hodgeman, you are so right about the scopes and the using of them

Paul, that is so sad, hope you find another one to your liking

Dewey and Gil, My dad has the MS 6.5 x 54 "Carbine". They made a long rifle at approx 4 feet overall and the Carbine approx a foot shorter.

Gil, that is a sweet rifle you got your wife for a wedding present. A gift that keeps on giving year after year after year

Charles, those type of rifles, the ones that are passed down thru the generations to family members are without a doubt very special. I know you are working on a 404 Jeffery and I have one that does not work at this time that was used by my great grandfather that will never be sold.

Best Regards

Jamila

The 1st rifle I bought for myself, with paper route money (Yes, I AM that old) was a customized M93 in 7X57. Nice walnut Mannlicher stock, diamond inlets along the forearm. Pretty rifle. Took me & my dad forever to get it grouping under 3" @ 100yds. But back in that day it was good to go ! Can't remember the charge, but it was a 139 Hornady and IMR4320. Dad thought it might be able to kill a whitetail at 100 yds, but wasn't very supportive. '06 man to the core.

Today? No reason what so ever an accurate Mannlicher can't be made. A lot has changed in 50 yrs. Still love the look of a Ruger RSI. Had a change to buy one in a 250 Savage many year ago, but the wife, at the time, would have used the Buck 110 she bought me as a birthday present to do unthinkables to my manhood in the middle of the night !

Africa Huntress":2dsajkwn said:
Thanks to everyone for their replies

Dr Mike, hope you find one

Hodgeman, you are so right about the scopes and the using of them

Paul, that is so sad, hope you find another one to your liking

Dewey and Gil, My dad has the MS 6.5 x 54 "Carbine". They made a long rifle at approx 4 feet overall and the Carbine approx a foot shorter.

Gil, that is a sweet rifle you got your wife for a wedding present. A gift that keeps on giving year after year after year

Charles, those type of rifles, the ones that are passed down thru the generations to family members are without a doubt very special. I know you are working on a 404 Jeffery and I have one that does not work at this time that was used by my great grandfather that will never be sold.

Best Regards

Jamila

Jamila,

I would say "working" on a 404 jeffery is premature. "Thinking" about or at least trying to talk myself into it is more accurate. You'd think that after the last custom rifle debacle I'd have learned my lesson! :lol:

That said the guy who would do it is a friend of mine who is getting on in years and has a few health problems. He is a perfectionist and all his stocks are hand carved. Everything he touches becomes gold so far. The other thing is he has a few blanks left over from when he did more rifles. Some are pretty special. So, if I go ahead with this project it would partly be due to wanting something that "he" did.

About the Mannlicher; It's been a real struggle to get it back to where it was before. A couple friends suggested I retire it instead of sinking so much time and money. I never even considered that! It was my dad's favorite rifle and was admired by his friends and hunting buddies. My grandfather flew overseas and bought it for him as a gift for his service. That is in 1955 I believe. Anyway, I always felt it my responsibility to keep the rifle maintained and active.

I'm glad you are still aerating Bucks with it. It's only gotten better since you've tuned it up.

Jamila, this thread is unbelievable timing.

My great uncle and grandmother apparently have 9.5 x 57 MS Carbine 1910 in their sights. ( I hope I have that right , since I have never heard of it ) It is supposedly in very good condition and is a "full stock" carbine 9.5 x 57 MS 1910. They have not seen it yet, but tell me that it will be used with iron sights only and would be a good close quarters bear rifle. They say they can get cases from some company in Europe whose name I haver forgotten.

Anyway, assuming everything is as the seller says it is--good idea or bad idea to purchase this gun. They off course will do whatever they are going to do, but I was still curious as to what you ladies and gentlemen had to say Brooke

Brooke, is it a 9.5 or 9.3?

The reason I ask is 9.5 converts to .375". I don't think there is enough shoulder to make a 9.5 but I'm wrong all day long :lol:

Back