Member feedback on Elk Hunt

big rifle man

Handloader
Dec 21, 2005
Would like some feedback from members on my just completed first season Elk hunt in Colorado. I was in possession of an either sex tag in the Northwest corner of Colorado. The ranch we hunted has Black angus cows, sheep, goats and two sheepdogs. Last year on this property we had major problems with the cows travelling through the woods and disrupting the hunting. My hunting partner complained to the outfitter and nothing was done, This year, first day I'm hunting at the corner of a large field and have three cow elk come out roughly 60 yards away, feeding while they slowly cross the field. Let them go as it was first day and I wanted to spend time in the woods. 2nd day saw a Bull and four cows roughly fifty yards away but on the wrong side of the property line. Tried to figure out how to get them over to my side but a call couldn't budge them and they turned and walked away, of course the wrong way. Got a laugh out of that one. Third day had a blizzard with ten inches of snow and howling winds. Elk were bedded and I walked around I'm sure, a lot of them. The fourth day at roughly 2:45PM I'm sitting on a hillside facing a medium size basin where I know Elk travel back and forth. A mule deer doe comes up behind me and feeds right by me on my left side so I know the wind is good. At roughly 3PM I look to my right and see a set of ELk legs coming from right to left. Turns out it's a cow elk and she's going to cross in front of me at about 50 yards away. I set myself up for the shot and low and behold here comes one of the sheepdogs,. He chases the ELk over the next ridge and all I can do is sit and watch. I move my position and have no luck for the rest of the afternoon. The next morning (last day) I return to the same spot and at 8:15 spot another ELk coming from my right moving to the left. I again get set up as the shot is going to be the same and here comes the damn sheep dog again chasing the ELk. Now I'm lining up on the sheepdog as he chases the elk over the ridge but I didn't take the shot. I call the outfitter and let him know what has happened over the past two days.. he then proceeds to yell at me, call me a complainer and move to another area. This is the guy I paid $2000 to for permission to hunt this piece of land. I then told him the next time I saw the dog chasing ELk I would handle the problem. all of a sudden the outfitter became nice and wanted to know where I was sitting. I said not to worry, I would handle the problem and hung up. Never heard from the outfitter again. needless to say we're changing our plans for next year. IF I'm wrong in the way I handled it I'd like to know.

I think you should make those of us who might hire an outfitter aware so we don't also waste our money. Beyond that, I think you handled it fine.

is the outfitter also the landowner?

if not might be worth talking with the landowner (leave out the part that you were lining up on his dog), see if the outfitter ever spoke with the landowner about the issues last year, and let the landowner know that you aren't expecting any money back but you don't plan on returning and future hunters might not be as considerate about his dog as what you were

2K is 2k. I am sure you didn't pay 2k to watch a sheep dog run around. I would be fine with it if the outfitter gave me back the 2k. If not.......issues would be brought up.
Russ

I'm with Russ, if I had paid 2k and watched a dog run game off I would have told the landowner to restrain his dog or it will get shot after the first time it did it. He could have kicked you off his property but you'd be entitled to a refund since his pet blew your hunt. I think I'd still ask for at least a partial refund.

$2000 seems like a stiff fee to get the service - or lack thereof - that you're getting.

Assuming the landowner and outfitter are the same person, I would be tempted to ask for next year for free since you've had 2 years ruined by preventable issues.

I would definitely have a talk with the outfitter. I would also send a note to the state outfitters association. You paid a good dollar to hunt plus your holiday time. It is just unfortunate that you had this happen to your hunt.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks for the feedback guys. The outfitter is the go between and is supposed to solve any problems that arise., This obviously hasn't happened. The signed contract states no monetary returns other than for emergency reasons so our only recourse is to change who we do business with. Its a shame because the prior owner of the outfitting business was a great guy that we worked with for 12 years. Unfortunately he passed away and this gem took over.

I would for sure let the landowner know the issue, and why you're not coming back. And I'd share the outfitter's name so others are not burned by the same issue.

if you like the land you hunt and the landowner hears your concerns and says he will change them...

offer him $1500 if he will let you come hunt his land without going through the outfitter

I would be willing to bet if you've been doing this type of hunt for 12+ years that the previous guy took people's concerns, communicated with landowners so the sheep (and therefore the dogs) & the cows were put into pastures that weren't open for your hunting and the new guy takes your money, gives the rancher his cut and walks away with a fatter wallet

Communication is the key. If the landowner hears you, you will likely have continued opportunity. If he ignores you, you assuredly know to hunt elsewhere. If the outfitter fails to reimburse you, you are well justified in letting his name be known to those who might otherwise use his services (such as they are).

I would write a letter and very carefully spell out all of the issues and how they have adversely affected the quality of your hunting experience on his ranch. Tell him that you have spent $4000 over two years for a quality access lease and feel disappointed in the level of services that you have received, particularly the interruptions of services and lack of effort on the part of the Outfitter to address and rectify problems in a timely manner. Tell him that you feel that you have not received value for the hunting and reasonable service response from the Outfitter. Because of these problems, you are considering not renewing your lease. Leave the Owner some room to respond and see what he does.

Charlie, I think I'll try that method and see what success I have. If I'm unsuccessful I'd be more than happy to post the outfitters information.

Back