Model 70 trigger

Hegland

Handloader
Jun 1, 2006
Question for you guys... Anybody know where to get the trigger plunger screw for a New Haven style trigger? Not sure that's the official description but it's the screw that adjusts overtravel as well as compresses the spring to determine pull weight. This is on a late-90s Featherweight. I checked Midway and Brownell's but came up empty.

Where else do you guys look for parts? Any suggestions you might have are appreciated. Thanks!

You could also go over on the 24hr campfire Winchester forum and ask if someone has a spare.

Thank you gents. Numrich has the pre-'64 screw, but not the post-'64... not sure there's much difference. I'll have to investigate this.

Scotty, the rifle had sat untouched since it was new, and with all the factory gunk the small jam nuts froze. When attempting to loosen them, one of the tabs for the flat screwdriver on the end of the screw partially broke. It's completely functional as-is, just curious as to options for getting her back to new condition.

In any event, those older Winchester triggers continue to impress me. As an engineer by trade I'm a firm believer that simplicity is its own elegance. These things are a case in point.

Gotcha. I did the same on my 264

I agree, the pre64 trigger is really a great set up and easily tuned.

Have you tried Wisners? They reproduce a ton of obsolete parts.

Or ebay? I have bought two or three complete Pre 64 triggers there. I believe the screw, spring, and nuts are all the same, pre and post 64. I could be wrong though.

Try calling Browning in Morgan, Utah. I have had good luck doing that for modern Winchester parts. They bought all of USRAC parts as well.

If it's a screw you be needing, and given that you're an Engineer by trade, wouldn't Ace Hardware have one that you could temper and blue?

Just a thought. I recently did a trigger job on a Ruger rifle and needed a spring. So, to the local Ace I went. After playing with springs I found one that worked. It came in a plumbing kit. No, I didn't have to buy a bunch of stuff to get the spring. They know me there and were willing to open a few packages for me.

Vince

I made the Mounting screws for my Timney trigger in my Mark V Weatherby. They had been buggered by a screw driver beyond usefulness. I found the two metric screws that I needed and cut them to length and Dremelled the socket head diameters to fit the countersinked pockets in the trigger and in the action (the countersinks were too large). I ended up with two socket head screws which were much more robust then the Phillips junk that came with the rifle. I took me about an hour but was worth it!

Yeah, Vince, I've done the same thing with springs and even action screws, and it could yet come to that. But this one is so small and such a specific profile that I figured it was worth looking into the real deal. I haven't even measured thread pitch or diameter but I've run into non-standard combinations there too.

And the manufacturer I work for is big on factory replacement parts, so somewhat a matter of practicing what I preach... :)

Anyway, thanks everybody for the suggestions!

Back